1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Failing Miserably In Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by daisy1234, Mar 12, 2022.

1. daisy1234

daisy1234 Silver IL'ite

How do you succumb to the pressure of faking your happiness for your family’s sake? I live in US, work in a high stressful job, take care of kids from A-Z, cook fresh meals everyday, no friends around to vent out ( come from a huge family and pampered by friends and family back in India all through out my life before marriage) and living with a husband who is workaholic and the only thing he cares is - his work and nothing but work! But back home in india, I am held in a higher stature among my extended family to be the first woman in this generation to have a college education, masters degree in US, successful career and a picture perfect family! In reality, I am dying inside with no help around , no emotional support from husband, no other means to vent out to my own parents or my family member about what I go through or no real friends around who I can pour my heart out or take a break from mundane life ! If I fail in this marriage or divorce, it would make people in my family believe my education and financial independence is what made me take this decision and that would stop the next generation of women to get the education or step out of their and get into the career world ( cos having the girl child married at an young age is very common in my family and am the one who broke that barrier and achieved what I wanted to do). Am I thinking right? Husband is physically and emotionally unavailable although to outsiders he is the perfect man! I don’t see him pitch in for anything that’s related to kids! To him raising kids is mother’s job and he admits often he cannot be of any help! And he is ingrained with patriarchal mindset and I tried hard to change this mind set last ten years and I miserably failed! Every weekend is miserable and tired of fighting on the same topic time and again! I have two beautiful kids and trying hard to keep this family together but losing my mind in this process! Pls help how do I handle it??

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm…

okay few things which could help you which I followed..

1) loving ourselves.Self care is a must! It is not at all selfish.You need to do things which make you feel better. A bit of retail therapy, a massage or anything u love.

2) Do what you love.
    Invest in hobbies which you like. Immerse yourself in it.

3) Follow vlogs which you love. For me I love food and travel vlogs.It is entertaining and also we learn about places and food.mentally stimulating.

4) cut down social media like insta and fb.It is fake.period.

5) self dependent.I realized that we need to be emotionally be self dependent many a times.Yea we need support but we need to be able to gather ourselves.Journal and talk to yourself.

5) Good food,exercise and clean environment.Be organized and relaxed.It is good for people with anxiety.

6) Good sleep.A must.

7) Avoid to your level best toxic people and things.it is needed for mental health.

8) get empowered.Once you are aware and feel mental strength and know who u are..others egos won’t affect you much.

We need to first fix ourselves by not depending on others. Yes it would be awesome if things worked out the way we want but it never always will but we need to accept that and do our best.

I stopped expectations from others and practice mental detachment.That way it hurts less.

With my husband..honestly am happy that he is a good man but he does have many flaws but I don’t care much coz he is a decent human being.Tats all I expect.Once I started to be happy with myself,I noticed maybe it’s an aura or some universal attraction…I seem to attract more positive people and stuff in my life.

Try the above .Hope it helps dear.

3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

You are smart, doing so much already
    Get some telehealth counseling. It's good to talk it out.

lavani likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Very valid advise. DO this sessions OP for some months. YOur marriage is ok if not great. divorce thinking is not good.

chanchitra likes this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,
    No one will understand your problems unless they walk on your shoes. The only person who can save you in this situation is yourself. Anyone who has lived with a big family and a large circle of friends in India and who comes to a individualistic society like America and who is with a spouse who is not social can not thrive here. Period. ( Please if there are any wise people who have been in this situation and can tell me that you are not living a life which is compromised let me know )

Do yourself and your kids a favor and throw a life vest to your spouse ( its his choice if he chooses to save himself ). Tell him that this life at this point is not working for you. You are moving back to India with your kids. He can stay in US and come and visit when possible or move with them, but you are not willing to stay here. Even if he doesn't come you can tell your family and friends that you wish to live close to parents and family and the husband will eventually join.

Go back and settle down in India. Get support from your parents and family in India. This is the only way your life will become better soon.

Ruby2019 likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you prioritize yourself? Stress from any aspect of life can be very impactful. You won’t even know it sometimes. Do you take some time in the day for yourself? Do something only for you?

How old are your children? Things got better for me when I started making my kids responsible for themselves, based on their ages. Things like their books, picking out their their clothes out the previous night, self grooming, helping put dishes away(mine even started putting things in the dw early), having a set routine and following it - all of this will make things better for you.

Why? When you have a stressful job, no support from spouse, small children, cooking everyday shouldn’t be on your agenda. Try shortcuts, try doing some beforehand work and just prepping and most of all try cooking at least for the next day also when you are anyway cooking. You can go back to daily cooking when your situation improves.

Even when we do vent out to friends, at the end of the day, we go back to our own lives. Nothing changes until we change whatever we have control over. So please look at things from your end that you can change.

No driving to classes? No buying grocery or taking them to birthday parties or any such thing? What if a kid comes back and wants to take a poster to school tomorrow for science project. Will dad go buy it?

Hire help. You are working a demanding job and you require someone to do the second job in the house. Hire help for cleaning, cooking, laundry and everything that you can outsource. Don’t worry about the added cost of hired help. It will free you up and make you less exhausted. In time, you will have time for some leisure.

I agree with what the others have already pointed out to you. There is no solution in an argument. You’ve spent a decade in this situation. It’s probably time for counseling. Does your employer have access to online mental health services. I recently found out my spouse’s employer has that facility for him and I. I haven’t used it but it looked genuine when I went online and logged in. Do get some help from a trained counselor. You are handling a lot. You need the help.
    Good Luck!

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

Don't expect your H to pitch in and help around the house or with kids when he clearly says NO.
    Expectations leads to disappointments.
    Instead, don't do everything while you already have an active job outside of the house.
    This will make you exhaused; hence stressed and unhappy in life
    Divorce will not solve any of these problems, especially your spouse has great qualities otherwise.
    Such haste decisions may bring permanent damage to your life later.

I found the below quote from your previous thread.

Read those highlighted lines again. He doesn't need your earnings. Doesn't care about your spending. He loves you & the kids and goes overboard to help your family (including extended family).
    Just that, he is workaholic, earns well, provides well but doesn't like to share the household chores.
    His expectations are pretty simple. Try to understand him.

Think out of the box..... Find alternative solutions to solve your problems.
    You are exhausted, and don't have H's support in household chores, but you have additional income in your pocket that isn't being touched for family needs. Good for you!
    Make use of your salary to buy household helps and sanity.
    Of course money can't buy happiness, but it can buy comforts that will in turn make you happy & peaceful.

Believe me, a domestic helper or a cook or a part time nanny would bring wonderful changes in your life.
    If you can afford at least have a combination of all for an extended hours every day.
    You can still cook fresh meals, but cooking wouldn't be exhausting if someone else is assisting.
    You can monitor a-z of what your kids need, but expect a hired help to do them on your behalf.
    You can find 2-3 hrs extra every day for yourself & utilize that time to relax or entertain. This will boost your energy and mood.
    A few extra dollars from your pocket won't hurt your family. Especially when your spouse is earning well, and careless about your spending. Make use of this to buy comforts & happiness not just for yourself but for the family.

A happy & comfortable mom is equal to a healthy & energetic mom for the kids. No matter what, kids & spouse expect us to be happy & energetic to spend their weekend with.
    Your positive transformation will reduce quarrels at home and it will bring back more happiness down the line.

Don't expect your spouse and the entire society to change. Be the change, and bring the desired changes from your actions. Good luck

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Which is better? To be in charge and suffer or to not be in charge and suffer?

9. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

To be in charge and suffer is better

10. daisy1234

daisy1234 Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for being my virtual support and sharing some wise words!

Anika - yes I am trying to keep my sanity in check but I lose it at times! He is a good man but with flaws and it irks me at times! I am ready to do it all but how far can I go is my question and do I really enjoy being this woman who is expected to be a perfect mom/wife/career woman, I do not know the answer! I don’t know who I am anymore! I am trying to rediscover myself whom I lost in these years and it’s a slow process by on and off fight and yes, I will try to follow your points!
    @chanchitra and @lavani yes I did try some tele Counselling from India but I wanted her to point out my flaws and tell me where I could correct myself- I missed that in those conversations. I need a right person where I can pour my heart out and need some pointers! During the covid era, I went through continuous traumatic incidents with in myself and outside my family! Lost my most significant/special person in my life, and got pregnant miraculously next month but had to abort it due to unfortunate circumstances! I thought I survived the worst in 2020 but oh boy- 2021 was a diff game altogether - lot more happened from his family side which crushed me and that took a big toll on my health emotionally and physically! This needs another thread and I wanted to journal it before I move on from dreadful past! This has nothing to do with my husband! I can tell you that!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022