1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Facing Trouble Due To Free And Unwanted Advice

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Needtobestrong, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I'm in joint family hence many relatives and Inlaws relatives drop in very very often..especially to see baby..and they give lots of free advices that are making my life difficult..
    1. Some relatives told me that C section will cause problems for lifetime and tummy doesn't reduce etc etc..this just scared me off and making me have negative thoughts.
    2. Many elderly ladies telling me to use cloth nappy and stop using do apers..I m unable to use them as nappies are cumbersome to use ..also I do not have domestic helps for washing clothes..these nappies should be cleaned very thoroughly else they can cause problem if re used.. And maids are arrogant here they keep taking leaves..if I use nappy I only should wash everything and I cannot do so as my health doesn't permit..doctor also told it's ok to use diaper..but these ladies say some nonsense and scare us off telling that diapers are very harmful etc etc..they keep nagging me to tear cloths and stitch them as nappies..I don't do that..hence many have just labelled me as a bad mom..
    3. My baby born prematurely and I struggled lots to take care..also baby has fallen sick couple of times and is not gaining weight that much..these relatives are continuously telling to take baby to some place or the other..to some function or outstation place or some events..are they going to look after when baby is not well?they keep telling to bring up baby rough and tough by taking to all places..im being labeled as bad mom for not taking baby anywhere and exposing in bad weather conditions..
    My cousin gave birth to 3.5 kg healthy baby at 40 weeks with absolutely no issues..everyone is saying that she is so great as she took her baby out to so many places and to temples..can they compare such baby with premature underweight baby born in critical condition?
    4. I'm not working now..for sake of family I took break..but people keep nagging me asking when I will join work and how I can sit at home inspite of being educated etc..it's my personal decision.
    Mostly these relatives say something and this instigates my DH and Inlaws against me..I'm also not keeping well these days..simply these people are giving me too much tension..
    Just a vent..give me suggestions pls..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Indians are very aggressive with advice. Be careful.

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Like that Hamsa separates the good things from the bad things, Water birds separate good water from the bad water. Use your power of discretion to separate positive / negative and just take in positive aspects of any advice. Turn deaf ears to unwanted messages to preserve your own sanity

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Nod your head pleasantly, thank everyone for their advice, pretend to be very interested in all they say and then continue to do as you please.

5. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Understand your frustation. But the solution is with u. If u cant answer them back you can ignore them completely. After some time they will understand and stop probing u.
    The more u try to obey the more advice you will get.

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Ignore ignore ignore if you think you are doing the best for your baby. Don't try to reply just smile it off. If you want to reply just say " this is what doctor said"

Taking care of a baby is the easiest topic to give advice on but difficult thing to do.. each mother and baby situation is different ,so what work for one may not work for others. I am sure you will be doing the best for your baby.
    Focus on your health and baby.. do whatever you can based on doctors advice. Let others say whatever they want.. be strong.. and neglect.. if possible don't respond to their comments or suggestions..just smile or nod your head.. take a decision that you won't allow others negative remarks to influence your peace of mind..Enjoy this time with baby.
    Once you and baby do well, people stop these comments/sugestions

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Needtobestrong and sindmani like this.
  7. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

I absolutely understand what you are saying. ...its very difficult with old Indian people. .they have infinite free suggestions. ..but when baby wakes up crying they won't even bother.....In my case I had to feed my baby in front of my fil and mind you he dint even have manners to get up and go somewhere ....And their suggestions change according to who is present wd us. ..just turn a deaf ear not say my baby I know better. ..

8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I went thru similar stuff during my pregnancy n delivery. Most of the ppl dat goes on with these advises r older to us or elders of the family, which restricts us to say anythng. So I will only nod, smile n make it look like I agree with them n move on.

Stop taking them seriously n ignore.
    Regarding the diaper n all, ders nothing wrong with it, I used it since I cudnt find ppl to wash d cloth nappies cleanly. N I went thru a similar drama abt d diapers too. First I tried explaining but it was like talkin to a wall, den I said ya am using cloth nappy but kept using d diapers. Den I realized dey jus wana hear Us agree to watever they wana say.

Weight comparison, yes, I had it too. My child was of a healthy weight, but he looked thinner. Even for that there was gyan. Some din believe, some made it look like it was my fault.

Even the same with the taking outside, it's like if we take, it's wrong, if we don't take, it's wrong.

I finally realized that there's really no win here wen it comes to these ppl. According to them, v can't do anythng rite. Dey r d only ones who know everything. They actually jus wana hear u agree to wat dey r sayin. So jus make it look like u r agreeing n jus ignore. Or u can also tease them like, I hav no one to wash my baby's clothes, can I send it to ur house everyday n u can ask ur maid to clean it for me. I will pay.

No one knows u n ur child better than u. Dats d reality. No one else will either. So get ur health back on track n live happily for u, ur child n ur family. After that, put ur effort to Make sure ur hubby n in laws understands ur situation n is supportive. Jus focus on dem, ignore d rest.

Needtobestrong, sindmani and penpaal like this.
  9. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Op, you can't stop people from advising you but you must stop beating yourself up for not keeping up with that advise... I am sure everyone has heard this story but refreshing it for you.

“An old man and a young boy were traveling through their village with their donkey. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, “What a shame, he makes that little boy walk.” They then decided they both would walk.

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying, “How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey.”

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?
    Don't try to please everyone.

10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Don't worry op.

Needtobestrong likes this.