FABULOUS & ASTONISHING FACTS OF NATURE & CREATION

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by Chilbuli Imli, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Chilbuli Imli

Chilbuli Imli Senior IL'ite

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=white> ASTONISHING FACTS :

1) LONGEST ENGLISH WORD: Praetertranssubstantiationalistically --> has 37 letters.

2) BOOK WITHOUT LETTER ' e': GADFY , written by Earnest Wright in 1939 is a 50,000+ word book, which doesn't contain a single word with ' e ' in it

3) WORD WITHOUT VOWEL : RHYTHM

4) BRAIN: Organ of body which has no sensation when cut .

5) CROCODILE: Only animal & reptile which sheds tear while eating .

6) No of Alphabets, which SOUND AS WORDS:
    B Bee
    C Sea
    G Zee
    I Eye
    Q Queue
    R Are
    S Yes
    T Tea
    U You
    Y Why

FASCINATING ANIMALS, BIRDS, TREES :
    1) SNAILS have 14175 teeth laid along 135 rows on their tounge.

2) A
    BUTTERFLY has 12,000 eyes.
    3) DOLPHINS sleep with 1 eye open.

4) A BLUE WHALE can eat as much as 3 tonnes of food everyday, but at the same time can live without food for 6 months.

5) The EARTH has over 12,00,000 species of animals, 3,00,000 species of plants & 1,00,000 other species.
    6) The fierce DINOSAUR was TRYNOSAURS which has sixty long & sharp teeth, used to attack & eat other dinosaurs.
    7) DIMETRODON was a mammal like REPTILE with a snail on its back. This acted as a radiator to cool the body of the animal.

8) CASSOWARY is one of the dangerous BIRD, that can kill a man or animal by tearing off with its dagger like claw.
    9) The SWAN has over 25,000 feathers in its body.
    10) OSTRICH eats pebbles to help digestion by grinding up the ingested food.

11) POLAR BEAR can look clumsy & slow but during chase on ice, can reach 25 miles / hr of speed.
    12) KIWIS are the only birds, which hunt by sense of smell.
    13) ELEPHANT teeth can weigh as much as 9 pounds.
    14) OWL is the only bird, which can rotate its head to 270 degrees.

WHAT ARE THEY :
    1) If we say 'MUMMY', they come together & go apart when we say 'DADDY': LIPS

2) What goes up & never comes down: AGE

3) Patches over patches but no stitches: CABBAGE
    4) What is that we cannot see, but is always before you: FUTURE
    5) What goes up & down a hill, but never moves: ROAD
    6) You can never wet it: SHADOW
    7) What belongs to to You, but used by your friends more often you do: YOUR NAME

IN 24 HOURS AVERAGE HUMAN:
    1) HEART beats 1 ,03,689 times.
    2) LUNGS respire 23,045 times.

3) BLOOD flows 16,80,000 miles.

4) NAILS grow 0.00007 inches

5) HAIR grows 0.01715 inches

6) Take 2.9 pounds WATER
    (including all liquids)
    7) Take of 3.25 pounds FOOD.

8) Breathe 438 cubic feet AIR.

9) Lose 85.60, BODY TEMPERATURE.

10) Produce 1.43 pints SWEAT.
    11) Speak 4,800 WORDS.

12) During SLEEP move 25.4 times

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Very Interesting!

Dear Chilbuli Imli,

It was nice to read some whacky facts! I'd like to make a mention about the longest word in English. I learnt about two of them back in school in the Read for pleasure section of English and also now confirmed on the internet that both of them still hold good!

1. Supercalifragilisticexpliadocious (34 letters, The well-known song title from the movieMary Poppinsdoes appear in several dictionaries, but only as a proper noun, and defined in reference to the song title. Hence it may well be dismissed as not a "real" word, particularly since the song assigns no meaning to it other than to say it's impressive.)

2. pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters, a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica or quartz dust)

On checking online, I did find many more, but by far, pneumono.... is the longest word in Oxford dictionary.

-Shal

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Many Other Words Without Vowels!

Dear CBI,
    Very interesting snippets. I enjoyed them. Being a writer what I can most relate to is the information about words.
    You have mentioned one word without a vowel. Rhythm. But if you "TRY" you can find many words. But don't "CRY" if you don't find any. But if you find, you'll really "FLY"
    Actually CBI Y is considered almost a vowel in English. It will be a real achievement if we can find a word without Y too. It will be impossible to pronounce that word.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your post,
    sridhar

4. Chilbuli Imli

Chilbuli Imli Senior IL'ite

Thanks Shal and Shridhar

Thank you Shal and Shridhar for the prompt reply.

That's great Shal (longest word which you wrote)
    Trying to memorise its character sequence!!!

Tic...Tic...Tic...

Done!!!!!!!!!

Shridhar
    <!--StartFragment --> The longest word is TWYNDYLLYNGS

Twyndyllyngs is the longest word in English that doesn't contain one of the five vowels (AEIOU). It comes from Welsh and is obviously rare, but it does appear in the Oxford English Dictionary.

It turns out that "twyndyllyng" (singular) is a 15th century spelling of the word "twinling," which means, in modern English, "twin."
    It does have 'y' but it is the longest word after Rhythm.
    <!--StartFragment --> By the way, there are a few "words", if we can truly call them that, which have no vowels:

Mr. and Mrs.
    Titles for the gentlaman and his lady.

MTV
    Its become so popular it no longer is an acronym. Its a word Shhhh!!! Pssst!!!

Sssss! Pff! Hmm. Mmm. Grrrr etc
    <!--StartFragment -->
    'Indivisibility' has only one vowel which occurs six times

'Strengths' is probably the longest word with one vowel (please let me know if I'm wrong)

Enjoy.
    <!--StartFragment -->