1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Fear of Lizards: Help me come out of it pls!

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by redradium, Apr 20, 2013.

1. redradium

redradium Bronze IL'ite

I have the biggest fear of lizards. I cannot tolerate even the sight of a single lizard how big or small they are. I know that it is very silly, but I just get freaked out at the sight of one. Especially when I am alone at home and spot one lizard on the wall, I get so restless till my husband comes back home. I keep staring at it, fearing that it will enter the kitchen or the living room where I spend most of my time during the day. When i discuss about it, sometimes people make fun of me, but very recently i realized that I have a fear of lizards, rather a phobia. I sometimes dream that I am hearing the ' ckckckcck' noise that lizards make. How do I get over this fear? I just feel that I take in a lot of tension and stress just because of lizards.

Recently my husband suggested to watch lizards on pictures and movies, and suggested an animation movie called RANGO. I just tried attempting to watch the movie, but HELL!!! I just could not stand more than 10 mins of the movie! :(

I do remember that I had once accidentally taken a baby lizard in my hand and twisted it to death when i was small and cried the life out when I realized it was a lizard and washed my hands a million times. Not sure if this has got anything to do with my phobia.

But I really want to come out of this worst fear and live peacefully. Help me out!!!

2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

If its causing so much problem to you, then you can visit a psychologist and get over the phobia. In the meanwhile, you can use lizard repellent products so your home doesn't have any lizards.

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Probably that incident might have put you into this fear / irritation. They are also creatures of nature. When I was a student I have seen one of my senior schoolmate (a pure vegetarian) petted one very big old lizard in the premises. It is a tree lizard and is very dark in colour and very very big in size too. They have developed a bond and the Lizard knew the time she pays a visit to that place. It used to come out only during that time for her arrival and she used to stroke it gently. After she leaves, it also creeps into its hiding place. First I felt 'aawk.....' but then realised it is also creature of nature though I don't go to that extent of petting it!

Putting net on windows and any opening in the doors will prevent both mosquitos and lizards from entering.

To get out of that fear first you should tolerate its presence...... this need not be in your home. It could be any place where you can try to practice the art of toleration. Then you can reduce the distance between the lizard and you.... slowly you can even go near and watch it. Their first reaction is to stay still as they may look at you as a possible threat. Hence come out of your fear atleast you should practice your mind to tolerate their presence wherever you go.