1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Explaining The Necessity And Significance Of Upanayam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Gauri03, May 1, 2018.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

In the Tamil Brahmin tradition (and others?), during the upanayanam, the novice is taught the 'Abhivaadaye' or the ritual self-introduction. It is expected that, in the future, whenever the student prostrates himself before his elders, he will present himself thus:

"I, descended from the lineage of these three rishis (named), of this gotra (specified), a follower of this sutra (specified), and this Vedic tradition (specified), named (his - the novice's - name), present my respects to you."

This is said after the namaskar (prostration), in a standing bow, with hands covering each ear.

When the novice does this, he is not only introducing himself and paying his respects to his elders; he is also reminding himself of his lineage and his obligations to his ancestors. In a sense, he is prompted to recall that he must aspire to live up to an unbroken tradition of which he is a temporary caretaker and do so with resolve and humility. The hands are placed over the ears so that he does not hear the utterance of his own name. Of course, he can hear everything he is saying in his mind's ear! This gesture serves as a check against vanity, to remind him that it is not pride in his patrimony that is the essence of this ritual, but duty. Protect and nourish that which you have inherited, and pass it along to the next generation - that is the message of this practice. Not so different from the Mathematics Geneology Project, or the induction of a new president. Or, yeah I did my undergrad at Stanford, my MD at Harvard-Med and now I'm an oncologist at Sloan-Kettering.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    rupz, Gauri03, peartree and 3 others like this.
  2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

The simplest explanation - why we give 'gotra' introduction at our ceremonies.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the link @Greenbay. The article makes some good points. Seems like this is a common dilemma for parents trying to reconcile the past with the present.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  4. Gauri03

That's a really good suggestion. The trip alone would be worth it even without the learning component. I'm not sure where to start searching for one around my husband's hometown not to mention the time constraints. My son does have some idea what education was like in ancient times thanks to the hundreds of Amar Chitra Kathas he has devoured. : ) Will try to build on those ideas. Thanks!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    sindmani and kaniths like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi @Gauri03,

I really liked the idea of @kaniths. I spent half a day in Gurukul during my recent trip to Chennai. The objective is to donate the money that my mother willed for my son for a good cause. The person I approached insisted that I should visit the place before donation and I agreed. It was one of the best experiences I had in recent days. What a simple life those children lead in the Gurukul and how much of love I see among the students. The teacher, care-taker and all other people working in the Gurukul shower love to those children. They even have a Goshala and the cows are brought from all over India.

The children wake up at 4 a.m. in the morning and go to sleep at 8 p.m. in the night. They have play time. I heard so many stories about sophisticated children objecting to having open shower under a tap like in a village. There were some children who had not seen villages before and they started running around the village only to be brought back carefully by the staff. The type of musical instruments played, dances performed and bhajans sang during our visit were scintillating. Everything is so regulated and I can't believe in the recent times, parents were ready to send their children for Gurukul for 12 whole years to learn Veda. It might be conjecture on by part but I did feel the glowing faces of those children comparable to those Vedic people in Ramakrishna Mutt. Becoming a Chaturvedi is an uphill task and to learn them by heart and understand the meaning is very significant.

Frankly, if I were to start my life all over, I would have experienced Gurukul myself (despite the comments @Rihana might make again about my adventure of watching Bobby so many times only to see Dimple Kapadia). Karnataka is very famous for old traditions and I am sure you will find a Gurukul easily. If you have trouble, please message me privately and I can find one for you to visit nearby from your husband's hometown. But make sure, you tie your son with your overwhelming love before you venture on such a trip. :)

Viswa

Gauri03, sindmani and peartree like this.
  6. Gauri03

Thanks Shanvy. The grandparent connection is precisely the reason this is important to us. I firmly believe that children with a strong familial identity are more stable and resilient, and that traditions help create the foundation to anchor that identity. I want him to know and understand his roots. The extent to which he chooses to remain connected to his background will be up to him. The discipline and focus aspect of sandhya vandanam is very appealing to me. Though it might seem odd considering my own views I will encourage him to continue his practice at least into his teens or as long as he will listen to me. I believe the benefits are worth the commitment.

7. Gauri03

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree about ensuring that the event makes sense to him from his perspective. Actually his grandfather sent him a book about the tradition of upanayanam. I plan to read it with him and address his questions as they come up.

sindmani and messedup like this.
  8. Gauri03

Thanks Viswa. I like your interpretation of the four ashramas. I think my biggest challenge is helping him understand the importance of symbolism in our culture, the non-literal meaning behind the rites and rituals. When we were young, simple answers satisfied us. Not so anymore. : ) Your post will help me talk to him about the phases of life in a language he will hopefully understand.

peartree likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Thank you so much for that reassuring reply Sabitha! He knows that the ceremony will make his granddad very happy and honestly he is quite happy to be the center of attention. I too would like to have him keep up the practice as long as I can possibly make him. It will bring much needed discipline and focus to his daily routine, something he sorely needs. He is a little high strung and I am hoping this will help center him emotionally.

Srama likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Thanks for the video cinderella. It was short and perfect. He really liked watching it. I think as I talk and share more information with him he is getting quite excited about it!