1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everything in doubles...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

Everything seems to be in doubles in our house for the past 'n' years...

Food, yogurt, milk, snacks, rice..rice cooker, cars....
    even we sometimes become--Jerkyll & Hyde to our children...What's going on...:spin

Am I drinking....( these will become quadrapules).... no way...then why like this....

See to the list of things we had to prepare in our house:

Food----one with salt and the other with no salt

Yogurt---home-made and store bought (?).
    According to my culnary skills bonk i think the store bought is best when used for pachadi, mor kuzhambu, aviyal...etc.

Home-made yogurt ----one in skim milk and the other with 2% milk.

rice---long-grain and basmati ( children loves basmati, DH hates it)

Two rice -cookers---no no --one rice cooker is for my mil whose rice must be squishy and the other is our regular Indian Pressure cooker.

snacks---one with salt and the other one with no salt.
    even in the tiffin----idlis, dosais, adais, chappathis----salt, no salt.

It is time for me to check with my opthalmologist in time otherwise everything will be in....
    what say!

sriniketan

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I can understand exactly what you mean. I have noticed it for many years in many households. For example, when we were growing up my mother used to make vengaya sambhar- small onion sambhar on sunday. my grandmother would act as if we cooked nonveg food. so mom used to cook doubles if she makes kurma or add onion + garlic to any food which was very rare because of the shock factor involved in this cooking. When I got married that did not work with mil. she said cooking once was too much so everyone had to eat that one food. so i followed her. in recent years I have personally changed my diet not because of health reasons but bec i dont relish spice too much and so use mild flavors and use less salt and less sugar, less spice. I refused to cook 3 different way for 3 people so everyone were forced to adapt to one way. for less salt, less sugar dh can always use salt shaker or add more sugar and if its spicy he can add pickle. also cooking is more continental and western. ofcourse having MIL i know this is not feasible. One thing about my mil - god bless her soul - used to adjust with everything. well I will stop with my rambling..and best wishes for your everything in doubles..

3. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    This is one post I can really relate to. My SIL has to cook two types...veg and non veg.... so two sets of vessels...two sets of oil...two fridges...
    In my own kingdom, I am the autocrat...and all are pure veg... so...no probs. I take less sugar...so two sets of coffee... My BIL hates eggplant, snakeguard, kovakkai...so no-no to that when he's home... my husband hates PUTTU Kadalai, stew and other KErala cooking so no- no when he is there... It is a fine act of balancing!

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Srinik,

You are really great.... You take care of each ones special requirements... This is called love and affection... All salutes...BowBow....

In this too fast moving world, where people dont want to cook and go outside for food every alternative day..... taking care of each ones liking and dislikings and keep cooking accordingly.... is something really to be appreciated....

Veda

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi,
    It is like this in most of the houses.
    My DH love spicy food, I like it less spicy.
    Both my DDs have varied tastes.
    Gets difficult though I do give in, but they also adjust.
    Loved your way of writing.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sriniketan,

I can understand and relate. My mil used to make cabbage sabji and kootu since FIL does not like kootu...

Things were the same with veda also he used to say no beets, no bittergourd..but i am stubborn..so now everybody has to eat what is there for the day...That does not mean i don't make anybody's fav's. It is a kind of written rule that you have to adjust to what is there for the day...

7. Sriniketan

Thanks AC for your FB.
    My DH is of adjustable type--even less salt less spicy no problem to him, eventhough he likes to have pickles as a side -dish for spicy taste. Thanks to his 'poor-eater' type. Otherwise I had to prepare 3 types, no salt, less spicy and spicy. He spared me from that Bow

sriniketan

8. Sriniketan

Welcome Twinsmom,
    I think 'veettukku veedu' same problem, illaiya!
    Twice the vessels to clean also!
    Happy(?) to see more people having to do the same as me!

sriniketan

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. Sriniketan

Thanks Veda for your appreciation.
    I didn't think in that angle --bonk

Everybody's needs are met, but what about me :help

sriniketan

10. Sriniketan

Thank you for liking my way of writing. I can show this to anyone who teases my writing...

It is true we do give in at last... family comes first, right!

sriniketan