1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everybody Says I am fine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ria2006, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

This is title of movie I saw couple of years back in India. And I thought It was very apt title.

For my sanity, I believe If everyone started telling I am not fine, that will be big trouble too.

Once I was in South Africa for my project assignement. And I was going in elevator to office floor.There were couple of native folks there, This guy was a mangaer and an oxford educated guy. Since i had spoken to him earlier. I just greeted him and asked, how are your doing.

And to my utter shock, he started explaing why he s not doing good.

His words, "Yesterday I went to my girlfriend's house. As Usual she was in bad mood, Her mother had slipped in bath tub. Hey come on, because your mother fell for no fault of mine. Why should my evening be spoilt. Then I picked a fight with her and rushed out of her house. I went to club...... He wanted to tell whole story.
    My floor came and I had to greet him back saying.. I am sure you are not doing fine, but Have a good day..
    and I was laughing my way back to office.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yeah these things happen but i must say u must had become cautious after this to enquire after some one...sunkan

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I ask my SIL, just casually, to start the conversation "how are you?" over the phone & she starts off "you remember, I sprained my leg last year....." !
    Recently I enquired my sambhandi the same & she began "you know, the maid failed to turn up this morning. I am stuck with a sink full of vessels to be cleaned and a load of clothes to be washed" !
    Now, I just say Hi & "jump" into my topic - no "polite enquiry"!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. srivatsa

srivatsa New IL'ite

I guess this happens to everyone in life. You will have atleast one person around you to complain how they are suffering and they never make it a point to say I AM FINE. I guess they have a wrong assumption that people will start ignoring them if they say I AM FINE. But my grandmother, my mothers mother is a person who always replies i am fine even if she is not fine at that moment

Regards
    Sri

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

This things happens...

Once when I visited my sister's place in Chennai, I enquired to a neighbour aunty,"How are you?"

...for that she replied "Hmmmmm...what to say...my head and body accompanies me wherever I go":eek:mg:....I wondered what an answer...
    ... she had some problem in the family and also her health troubles....and she was trying to convey to me that....

From that day, whenever I see her I just say Hi with a :mrgreen: and move away..

6. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Thanks
    Sunkan Mam, Chitvish mam, Srivatsa and Saraswathi For sharing your experiences. I agree its very engrossing at times.