1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

engalukku mattum illaye...

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by sathya, Jun 25, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello raman

thinam oru kavithaiyilirunthu
    thaavi vittomo ingu?

raman i think you should understand why i go back with the times...

see it my way...

our parents were born with brothers sisters numbering nearly twelve
    we were born with four six or eight
    but we have just one or two children
    and our grand children or great grand children
    will not have athais mamas or chithappas
    cousins ??

now what would you do if you have a serious problem
    indians have a way of sharing it with brothers or sisters
    there is an answer to every problem and when it comes from
    your own brother or sister it is more sincere.. yes there are friends but they cannot become sis or brother...wonder if you understand..

if you have just one kid think of his/her plight..he/she cant even report happenings physical emotional to anyone except friends who may be having the same problem...parents are busy ...they have no time to listen to their little woes...which are sometimes very serious and need immediate counselling..

examples are many..

i just feel if the family can afford we have to have one working parent so that the emotional hunger of a child is fulfilled..women are very different these days pretty independent...and look at life in a different way..

as i said parents will give anything the child asks except sit and listen to him/her or just talk with them...
    we got our cycles sometime after we finished plus two (except in rich families) and watches we saved and wondered if an uncle would give it as birthday present...im not saying we go back so far...but just see today parents will buy a mobike even before he is 18 video games, computers (not for learning but for play)...
    thats a pretty long long reply and i think will need a separate thread..
    thank you for reading patiently....happy you had the time too..!

sathya

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Anbu Sathya
    Tholaintha kuzhandhai paruvathai ninaithu Aatramai pongum idhaya geetham. Sad song indeed.
    But have you noticed that only adults lament the loss of pleasures like gilli danda, kite flying, skimming stones across the pond etc ? The sense of loss stems from remembered pleasures. Today's children will never understand that because they are keyed into different ideas of Fun like cricket, video games, or couch potatoing.

It is very annoying to find parents slave driving kids to do well in school and every other field. But times are such that if a child is not competitive enough, he may not fit in . Just suppose a child is left alone to enjoy all the fun he wants, taking it easy on the hard work front. Who is to guarantee that tomorrow ,when he sees his peers doing well in life on the strength of their initial hard work, he may not turn around and blame his parents for not "motivating" him enough ? Will platitudes of simple joys and simple living go down well with him ?

When in Rome, kids always want to be Romans.

I once gave a friend's kid a wooden top ( stylishly packaged and priced, equally stylishly ! by an outfit called KRIDA that is committed to reviving tradition Indian toys) and told him, from memory, of all the fun that can be had by spinning tops. He tried enthusistically to wind the chord around it and spin it, but after two or three unsuccessful attempts, he discarded it saying, " it would be simpler if they put a button cell and a switch in it. " My friend says the top rests in peace in the bottom drawer. I realise he and I belong to different worlds. I cant blame him for not understanding mine. I can only sing to myself": Nyabakam varuthey nyabakam vauthey..........."

I liked your line: "bharati paattil paathiyai kandathillai"

luv
    manjula

3. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

ok sathya
    thats fine, im sorry if i had hurt by calling u as akka
    but the poem's theme and impact is still ringing in my mind

1 person likes this.
  4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello manju

ya maybe you and tamil raman may be right...

it is just that i wonder...

our parents have instilled quite a few `right things in us'
    have we forgotten to make our children appreciate the good things in life..?
    are we not responsible for the couch potatoes...?
    the children just by their number one or two are able to twist parents with their whims and fancies...
    thank god my sons do not belong to the other category...atleast i can rest my concience that way...

sathya

5. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sathya, Your poem is just great. But I also wish to say something. In this materialistic world, siblings and relatives do not stand by our side when we r in trouble (though not all). Friends help a great deal when we r in distress and stand by us always. It is enough if we have a handful of friends who are pure and who understand our feelings(it is mutual again).

It is the world where only the fittest can survive. If our children are not competent enough or we donot make them competent enough later they will blame us for everything. Today's children r more responsible, intelligent and r ready to accept the reality. Its only we parents feel that they have lost their childhood in their studies. They have made up their mind already. There may be plus and minuses everywhere and in everything.

thanks and regards,

sujatha

6. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sujatha

right again
    like all of you said
    children these days
    are more intelligent
    more fast to click with anything new
    dont care about elders
    (there are quite a few exceptions..!)
    it is true i have written
    as if they ```feel''''
    but it may not be true
    in most cases...

i sometimes wonder if mothers are not responsible for this situation..?
    working.... so have no time for the kid one or two...so to do something about the gnawing concience...buy anything they ask even if you cant afford it..then because you feel ah yes not able to cook or give a nice lunch to school so even if breakfast is hurried...you find time to cook excellent means inspite of being tired from work...put it on a plate ..get the water too..and hand it over to the kid who is watching wwf or some such channel..when this happens everyday...the child gets used to being pampered and does not return any of those actions which you would like...even if you fall down ..it may just be a matter of hey what happened mom call the doc..? and if you say no its just a scratch and sit on the sofa...he is not going to get that evening meal for you for sure..you have to get it or get an order home delivered ..i have seen this in quite a few homes...it is the same age friends/neighbours who are helping...

sathya