1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Endearing Oryza sativa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Vijima
    Your post accentuates the old school statement that learning is a unceasing process…..you had to learn it to perfection from your daughter.
    I have noted that tip! Thank you!
    Mega

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega,

I had my tryst with the kitchen in my early days of married life. I was no new comer to the kitchen, though I was to my mil's. One day I made sambar which was perfectly tasty only to have mil ask me if I used chana dal instead of tur dal. I insisted it was tur dal while she insisted it was chana dal I had used. Finally she asked me which dabba I had taken the dal from. Sure enough I had taken it from the chana dal dabba.

It took me quite some time to figure out the difference between the two - I can be blind as a bat when it comes to these nuances. Anyway, these days, taking pity on the Reliance gas company (don't want to drive the poor guys out of business), I have changed over from tur dal to moong dal even in my sambar and believe me no one notices the difference or even if they do, they don't mention such things any more - I am no longer a new dil you see!!!!! :biggrin2:

5 people like this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Oh Satchi, you too! Wel...well.... atleast you didn't create a disaster, just replaced the dals....I know of a friend who added Henna powder, instead of corriander powder to her sambar and that too, not as a newbie, as a "wise owl". Yeah....these identical looking storage dabbas can be a risky affair.
    Thanks Satchi,Hugs to your mom!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  4. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Mega, These Carbs make us Kharab..I have my share of never ending super flops...

I share the least-worst of all and save my face value here. Once I was late for preparing my dinner, so decided to finish off something phata phat by making dhal fry and roti in next 30 mins...Dhal was almost ready, so just tried tasting it, I was getting an different aroma(or SCENtED smell or what do i call tat[​IMG])..Sure its not from the spices that i have used...Nice smell emerging from my spatula as well..Aha..now I found out the goof up..I had used the Keo Karpin oil(hair oil in green colour)for cooking..This time I had placed it in the oil tray, after a heat up for hair message[​IMG]...Now u can imagine my culinary skills...

-Neetu-

3 people like this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Parineetha buddy, you know what......you have an aromatic future in the cookery world....they say be innovative , think out of the box , get creative with the ingredients etc. etc. that is exactly what you have done, what a fragrant post......I am still whiffing !
    Mega

2 people like this.
  6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mega,
    Staple "Food for thought" post...:rotfl..!!
    After moving to NE India as a new bride.....cautious me, framed a question to my DH..." How much water and how many whistles for this variety of rice?...I'm not used to this rice and this cooker..."
    He ...with his experience in self-cooking gave me tips, and I followed it to the tee......so no faux pas in Oryza Sativa.....
    Of course, it was compensated by hard kesari, super salty pongal, watery sambar et al.......:rotfl

2 people like this.
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    That was a lovely hilarous post from you on rice.....
    Recently i am reading in papers about this fat free rice something like this....hehehe
    Eating rice you put on weight so some new rice product in the market where there is no need to exercise yourself to reduce weight by eating rice.
    Got to make some varieties of rice....hehehe

2 people like this.
  8. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Something's gotta give.

2 people like this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Bhargs
    I am "J" that you got it right on the first attempt! But did he choke on the hard kesari, super salty pongal? Please say yes.

I have spared you the ugly details, of the overcooked and undercooked rice....if I had to really give you an account of its appearance to the "T", you might have quit "rice eating" atleast for a while.
    I have dropped a big HINT, the rest I leave it to your creative imaginations.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aruna
    Having lived in Egypt and INdia, countries which spin instant miracles with rice, I have not an iota of doubt in your rice cooking skills.....so much so that I have invited myself to your new home......!!! I can see you grinning!Thank you for your inputs, and tell me how this "fat free thingy" works for you!
    Mega