Encounter with Snake: Scary and Confusing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by foolinacity, Jul 4, 2014.

1. foolinacity

foolinacity New IL'ite

Hello IL's

These days i am at my parents place in India with my 9 month old boy. My parents stay in a very Big and Old House almost 85 year old Villa. It's surrounded by normal grass and trees. My parents Have been staying in the house from last 20 years, Before that we had rented it. We used to hear that there are snakes around the house but no one from our family had seen them before.

A few days ago i was sleeping in my old room with my baby which is located on the 2nd floor, It is a backside corner room and its surrounded by a Big terrace. I sleep on the floor because my son moves all night, I put 3 beds on floor for us to sleep.

Everyday i sleep at 10.30 and that day It was almost 1, i had just finished talking to my husband on phone and was checking few emails on my phone. My son was sleeping beside me, I felt something Cold on my feet and the cold feeling went away in a second, As my house is old the wall was leaky sometimes i thought to check what it was, so i got up.

It was late so i had switched off the lights and there is a small LED Bulb in my room, I saw something go from the wall in my bed it was a tail. I thought must be a Lizard or something so just normally to see what it was lifted my bed and saw a SNAKE.

I was scared to death, Without making any noise i took my Baby and Rushed out of the room and i did not say a word, i went near my parents room and started crying and shouting. My parents woke up and everyone got awake.

My parents and others were not believing me, They thought i had a dream, I described them the snake and the pattern on its body. I gave my son to my mom and me and my father went in my room. At first we could not see the snake and then my father saw it, It was a 2 and a half feet COMMON KRAIT SNAKE, It's a Neurotoxic Snake. We called a gurkha and made it go away.

This incident has made me go crazy, Snake coming in your Garden is one thing and coming in your bedroom is other thing. I am scared like hell, I don't know what would have happened if i would have been asleep.I keep on guessing may idiotic things, Very bad things, I have not slept peacefully after that even if i sleep i see lots of snakes and various types of snakes.

I don't know why this happened, what to do. how to handle things like this. Is there something i can do some pooja or something?

Please do suggest something

TIA

2. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi foolinthecity,

A snake entering a house can be a frightful experience. I cannot give you any advice on performing puja, as I don't believe in them. What I can suggest is some ideas from personal experiences, to keep snakes away.

My parents place too has a lot of snakes, that has not deterred my family. Snakes usually come out after the first rains in summer ( am no expert, but probably because their holes in the ground get water logged). They look for cool places which are undisturbed.

1. Look for any junk both inside and outside the house. Garbage, old broken furniture, any stuff that is dumped and waiting (undisturbed), to be cleared. Clear them out first.

2. Make sure there is no vegetation along the walls out side the building. These act as access points. So no creepers along the house walls,

3. Grass should be trimmed regularly, also make a perimeter of clear ground (that is no grass or plants) all around the house.

4. Snakes also come looking for a meal- rats. If your parents' place has rats, call pest control and plug any rat holes.

5. Install mosquito mesh on windows or any other ventilation.

These precautions should work for you, because they work for my parents. I find old houses charming. So please don't worry over a problem that can be fixed. Simple rule, keep house clean and well lit, pay attention to all corners and spaces.

Hope I've been of some help.

4 people like this.
  3. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Close all the holes around the building, try to plant some thorny bushes, Keep the place tidy around the house.

Usually snakes enter into home by mistaken, some snakes are just like lizards.. Put napthelin balls in every corner of the house.

Never sleep on floor....

Me too sailing in same boat just like you :(...

4. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

When I was a little girl...my family lived in a huge government quarters. Our house was surrounded by bush and lots of trees. I have encountered many snakes while playing. I have come across green tree snakes and also cobra's too. It scares me even now thinking about an incident where a snake slithered into our house and hid in our book cupboard. My brave mom caught the snake and ......she.....well...the snake is resting in peace now (sorry).

My mom was so worried if another snake would pay a visit again!...so she sprinkled sulphur powder around the edges, near the drain and everywhere she thought snakes lurk. I don't know if that worked but I have never seen another snake there again.

My mom also made sure there are not rats or frog around the house. Snakes love these two creature. Mom would trap the rats and ask my dad to leave them far away from home.

Like some of the readers said, please use mosquito net to cover the windows and try to find if there are any holes in the house and close them with cement. Hope this ideas help you. Take good care of yourself and your baby.

1 person likes this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

The way you narrated that day's incident made me visualise the exact scene in front of my eyes !