1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Empty Nest

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by indubalram, Sep 15, 2021.

1. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I’m living in USA for the past 10 years now. I had buzy life in india had been working and taking care of family. Had good friends in India. Now recently had my daughter married . I keep myself with my work. Yes I’m employed but still feel very lonely sometimes with no friends or other activity. If anyone with the similar situation please give me some suggestions. Thanks

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Why dont you join a yoga class or any other hobby class? You meet people that way too..

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Do you have atleast one or two friends?If so, you are ok. If not, I am really surprised. Its very important to have a life outside marriage- a life of our own. ( I am an introvert, my experience is limited, may be others can give better options ). Some thing to think about...

- connect with old friends (classmates, batchmates etc) through social media. Call them.
    - join many groups of Indians in your area
    -Temple activities
    - organizations
    -Whatsup groups for indians or people from your state in India etc..

But if you are looking for other human interaction in USA. Some options
    - join a gym, there are lot of group activities like zumba, yoga or other activities. Its a place to meet lot of people ( I tried zumba, very good experience).
    - try meetup.com. There are many activities and groups, you can join one or two for interacting with other people
    - try volunteering activities in your area.
    - go for a coffee in your local popular place especially during breakfast/ morning time.( I noticed many older people come regularly just to chat. Eg: panera in my area. )

Ask yourself what are the things you always wanted to do?, but never did?
    - for example, travelling, there are many women only groups, google
    - learn a new skill, like swimming, dancing or anything else you like. ( I just started swimming lessons )
    Create a bucket list and try to fill one by one

Some activities in your home
    Find your favorite hobbies
    - gardening, it has a theraputic effect. You may find gardening groups in your area, use facebook to find it out
    - reading, reading clubs are there, if you like to interact
    - watching movies, take subscription of Netflix, Amazon etc.. Find time every day to watch a movie or favourite show.
    -music, do you like to play a music instrument? try classes for it.
    - if there is any park nearby, go for a walk every day. You will find people ( my FIL did this when he was here and got buddies, not sure how)
    - like to attend shows in your area? google.
    - cooking, try new recipes. Eat food and enjoy
    - have a few pets. ( I like cats as its less maintenance. Dogs are good if you have lot of time to spend. I have both )
    - list is endless, find what you like..

But most important aspect, love yourself. Live your life. Remove self- doubts and insecurities from your mind. Develop self confidence and self esteem. Only then you can explore and enjoy new things.
    Ask your self, if you are alone what you will do? What will bring you happiness? That may give you the right answer. Whatever it is, you should be ready to find time for it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply. It means a lot. I will think about what u guys suggested

DDream likes this.