1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Emotionally Drained!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by BeingSoulful, Jul 4, 2017.

1. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

@blackbeauty84 Yea for our conservative parents, get us educated & letting us be the way we want was only a BIG thing. They put me thru too much to explain, the equation may never workout, they are really headstrong. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

@nolife Nothing will change her, her attitude nor things will change my parents, its only me trying to pull the strings, trying hard to sort things, I should just give up for my own good, my own peace, dream of having a normal family may not happen with all, & its perfectly fine, I need to accept this & move ahead, let people be.

2. BeingSoulful

@ashneys

[QUOTE =You getting married early was not your mistake, your mistakes are...

- Letting your parents or others bully you for their failures when it came to your sister, all that blaming is a lame excuse to keep people off from pointing at them, so they are ok as long as it's you because why should you alone be happy when they are feeling miserable? Don't let anyone feel bad or guilty for you living your life..[/QUOTE]

I have always been that one kid at home, who lets go things, who is always adjusting, who compromises on things because your elder sister doesn't understand & your brother is the youngest & laadla of the house so keep adjusting all life, right from the most basic things of life to almost everything around. For once, only for once I put my foot down & said I want to marry him & definition of "ME" completely changed at home. I have got nasty & dirty names from my own mother who claimed I pretended & did drama all my life to be a perfect daughter. So yes, I have sensed this, they always had me to blame, may be someone had to just say it to me. Cant thank you enough!

[QUOTE =- guilt - feeling like you are to blame for anything that went wrong in your sisters life is wrong. She runs away when things gets toUgh, how's that's your fault. understand that she is not a child, she made her decisions then and she can make it now without you spoon feeding her...[/QUOTE]

I dint realize at a young age but I was never treated like a kid at home, though I was not elder one, I was always treated like an elder one, ALL my life. Every damn thing at home, decisions of the house, everything I was involved, I was expected to be there, expected to support. May be this is the reason I feel responsible towards her, its more like I am her elder sister than vice-versa. Its sad, its stupid but this is just in me, but now I have stopped, I know I cant control one's life, wt she does in life is where it will take her, I have no control over it.

[QUOTE =
    - enabling her - it is said that there is always an enabler when one continues to go down a bad path instead of doing anything abt it. If your sis has to hit the rock bottom to start climbing up, let her hit it. You will help her only if you stop helping....[/QUOTE]

I realized this few months back, denied financial support & told her I cant keep doing this for long time. She said she has nothing to eat, she also needs to pay rent, I just told these are challenges of life, so face it. It was very hard for me, but I knew this was the time.

[QUOTE =-
    If anyone points finger at you anymore, point it right back at them. Ask them to tell future prospects that you got pregnant before marriage so had to get you married and that you are the black sheep of the family. Done! Will that make them happy?....[/QUOTE]

Last time in conversation with my aunt, she said I spoilt my sister's life and ****, I simply told - "About right doing & wrong doing, I don't need to justify anything to anyone, there is one sitting above of us(almighty) watching over & I know I have my count right with him, our lives are the proof of our karma. Everyone will pay for things they do in this life time, they pay it right here."

Anyway, these things have stopped effecting me now, initial days of marriage was very difficult, but I have got over a lot of this crap now.

[QUOTE =-Take a break from her. Don't talk to her on the phone. If she doesn't have you to talk, she will reach out to your parents or some friends as she won't have anyone else to talk.
    Tell her you are doing something or going somewhere or your dh is angry that you can't be reachable or speak to her for a while.?..[/QUOTE]

I have been doing this not because she is asking money but sometimes its overwhelming for me listening to her crying on the phone, I feel so helpless. With the hope that she wont become emotional if we don't talk I keep our conservations low, for some reason she has stopped using whatspp so I call her only during weekends if I am free.

[QUOTE =Focus on your dh and your family. Just because he is a nice guy, that doesn't mean you can take it for granted and spending money behind his back. Would you be ok if he does this behind your back? Is this all worth risking your marriage? or hurting him? or him to lose faith In you? Do you really want to put him through all this disappointment, pain and secrets? If things turns bad, where can you even go back to ? A family that blames you for everything or to the sister who needs you to do everything for her?[/QUOTE]

This is my BIGGEST fear now, he knows what's going on, he knows about the money part too, not completely though, he is mad at my sister & my parents for everything they have put me thru, but he still talks to her well, he doesn't tell me anything but deep inside I know how he feels. Disappoint him is the last thing I wanna do & yes I know my family is just not worth it. But kya kaare, blood is thicker, I make strong decisions & again melt away in my emotions after a while. This time I want to stay stronger & stick to my decision.

[QUOTE =Until unless you deal this with firm hand, you will be the loser in the end. Lose money, lose peace, lose respect, risking your marriage and in the end when she rejoins the family, she will get everything and you, nothing. So it's upto you.[/QUOTE]

I already went thru this a few months back. So when she stepped out of the house & was all alone. It was me & dh who helped her but after 6 months when they decided the wedding part (one she broke) I was not informed at all. Only after everything was finalized she told me it was happening, I was very happy for her but for sure felt ignored, she dint think about me when she had that guy & family around. I know nothing is worth risking my marriage.

Thank you for your valuable inputs & taking time to go thru the post. Your input has given me a new direction of thinking
    !

3. prestine

prestine Silver IL'ite

That fear is very important for her, she will hit rock bottom, she will start to see different perspective in her life, get up and start fighting her struggle. OR will go settle down with parents.

The kind of emotional support she is getting from you must be given by your mom, I don't know whether your mom does it or not. If not your father should advice your mom.

BeingSoulful likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Stop babysitting your sister, she is 30 ! She needs to get a job , pronto ! You have supported her more than enough . Unless you stop financially supporting her she will have no reason or motivation to find a job ! So for her own sake stop sending money and stop feeling guilty about getting married earlier than her . I would be more guilty about sending money behind my husband's back .

BeingSoulful and Naari like this.
  5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Just wanted to add a few more lines based on your response..

I can understand your situation. I have been forced to be the responsible one by my family too in different situations. We all go through ups n downs, one more than the other, and in different ways.

But the only difference being, I took my stand when it was required. Doesn't mean I hate them, infact I love them to bits with all their flaws too, the love never changes. But my stand made a huge difference between me being a victim and living.

So, though I was happy to read your reply about you taking your stand, but based on your response, it does worry me about how long you will stick to it. You sound like a responsible, kind hearted, good and a sensible person, but I can't help but worry whether you will ruin / affect your whole life with the "blood is thicker" concept. I really hope you make the right decisions and live your life.

Again, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for living your life. Just live it! And stay strong!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    sindmani and BeingSoulful like this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,

If you continue to do this way, your sister will never became independent. So dont fall into the trap of emotional blackmailing. Tell her that your husband came to know that you are sending her money without his knowledge. So you cannot help her as much , even if you like...

Instead of cutting everything in one step, take slow steps and withdraw.. Keep in contact , but reduce frequency of talking..Be there , but not take full responsibility. Help her, but dont play the role of parents.. She is an adult she need to figure out what she wants..

I think your parents should guide her more than you do.. take baby steps. Instead of guiding her, tell her to ask parents. If you continue this way you will never get peace of mind.. so think well and act.. Good luck

sindmani and BeingSoulful like this.
  7. livingitup

livingitup Bronze IL'ite

OP, I hear you! But may be your sister is taking you for a ride. Like she did when her marriage talks were happening!!

When your sister says she has no food to eat, but is high maintenance in other aspects, she has to prioritize her choices. You are the one paying for everything. Though you understand her pain, her crying is making you overlook certain things and in some ways enabling her.

Be strong , good luck!!

BeingSoulful likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not everybody has a normal childhood. It can take half a lifetime to understand the difference between being brought up and the other things that happened as part of it. Parents gave birth to you, fed you, took care of you, gave you a home. Those truths can overshadow some other truths. It takes marriage, meeting other people, living away from parents and thinking back, or talking about it with close friends to figure out what happened. Sometimes you meet other people with similar stories, and that also helps.

Even after that realization happens, the heart still wants a loving family, wants parents to be happy, wants siblings to be settled in job and marriage, wants contact with parents and siblings, like other people have. Want all to be happy. Sending money is one way to try to bring some happiness or to try to solve some problems.

It is very hard to say no. And to stick to the no. It is harder to stick to the resolve to not give any more unless the need is real. One way to discipline yourself is take the help of a close friend who can be trusted with the details of the matter. Tell her the overall situation. And make a deal that if you ever feel like sending money again, you will first tell her, explain why, and that you will send it only n days after you've told her. You still have final say in sending or not, but, you have to tell someone. Putting your feelings down in words in email or chat or telling her over the phone will make you pause and think. I had one such friend. I told her she is worth her weight in the gold that I can buy with the money I end up not sending.

Good reply. But from next time, don't give them fodder. Keep your reply brief and neutral'ish and change the topic. You know your relatives. You can think of what would be neutral responses. When you are the one with a better life (by luck or by your own hard work or good choices), you sometimes have to keep quiet. Or it will be taken the wrong way though what you are saying is right.

These things never stop effecting. They are always at the back of your mind. You can lessen the time the mind broods on them, but, they never completely go away. Whenever you have a happy or other news you feel like sharing with family, you hesitate, and if it is a happy news, guilt comes with wondering why you are living a happy, settled life.

Call less frequently. Call every other weekend. Give a break for a month. When my child was a toddler I worried she was not eating enough. The doctor laughed and assured me that no child will starve itself. Same with people. If you give them less or zero attention, no one will suffer any permanent damage.

It is good that you are already thinking about the above. Remember that seeing you hurt and suffer, hurts him too. Try your best to stick to your decision. Each week you stick to it, you feel better, and believe it or not, it also helps your sister. Give at least a gap of 6 months before you send money again.

hridhaya, BeingSoulful and Amica like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You made the right decision. If you had waited for her to get married, you would still be waiting.

Your parents wanted their elder DD married before their younger one. There were two ways this could have happened: You could have waited or she could have married her then boyfriend. Each of you chose to live your lives on your own time-tables — which was the right thing for both of you to do. Neither of you should carry guilt over this.

You are not helping your sister by enabling her to run away from her commitments. Stop sending her money. Instead, talk to her and help her come up with a life plan or get her to seek professional help.

At the moment, she's in limbo on your dime. This doesn't help anyone and is causing further damage to both of you.

Good luck, @BeingSoulful. :thumbsup:

BeingSoulful likes this.
  10. BeingSoulful

I think I can really relate to your thoughts, that's exactly what's happening, my deepest feelings, thoughts & beliefs are changing, believe its all for good, this journey of realizations is painful somewhat but I know its much needed at this time.

I don't expect anything from my family, like you said I only wish them happiness & a good life.

I wish I had just one friend like that, unfortunately I don't, cant really think of anyone who would not judge the situation. Saying no is still manageable but the after conversations are the real struggle. This mrng I got a wtsapp message asking some small amount of money, until noon I kept thinking of phrases to reply, finally gathered courage to say no but the conversation turned like those "good-bye" convo's, I still fear but then I reassured myself this was needed, just told her since she wont be using fb, wtsapp or any other apps going forward, i'll call her during weekends.

Yea I need to learn the art of keeping it neutral, something I am really not good at! :/

I think I am living half my life like this today. I m always thankful to the almighty for everything he has given me, better life, better job, a wonderful husband. But at the most important times when I should celebrate my success & happiness I end up being depressed that I have a good life & they don't. I know its stupid but I feel bad nobody else apart me is happy in my family.

I am expecting this will automatically happen since I have maintained my record of saying no from past 2 months.

Hoping the same! Thank you for your soothing words, I am glad to be here, there is someone to listen & respond! :)