Emergency contraceptives - Are they 100% effective?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by SGBV, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hi

I am yet to come up with a permanent family planning, as it is not possible in my country to have it planned permanently before you have 3 kids or you reach (woman) the age of 35. However, I am done with my pregnancies as I have 2 kids (boy and girl). So, we have been using temporary methods till I reach 35 (some more years to go).

Yesterday we had a nightmare. The condom was broken, and I am not really sure whether it was a protected IC.

Anyhow, I managed to take emergency contraceptive this morning (at around 11.30 am) and the next pill is to be taken after 12 hrs or so. As per the instruction, I might get some nausea and vomits, which I am yet to feel.

The thing is, whether it is safe and effective? Do I need to visit a Dr now? Will it prevent pregnancy 100%

Abortion is illegal in my country. Also, I had undergone 2 c-section in the past. Its been just 1 year from my second c-section. So health wise and otherwise I am not ready for one more pregnancy.... I am totally confused.

2. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Ep is not 100% effective . But failure rate is low .
    The doctor cannot do anything much at this stage . You need to take your full dose and hope for the best.
    If suitable you can later consider using iucd ( non hormonal ) method as it would be more safe and fool proof , till you get permanent fp.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

The emergency contraceptive prevents unwanted pregnancy and IMO, you don't need to worry about this one particular incident.

Can think of taking Low-hormonal OCPs or getting IUD inserted if you want more protection.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Yup, I should think of more permanent ones soon... Very worried now.
    Just that, we were comfy with the condoms, and never expected such a sudden twist.