1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Useful Discussions - Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by nithya prabha, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear nithya,
    thanks for the compliments, God I need them, after all the time spent on the piece.
    Sadly, tracing is the only way you could do easily. There is another method, with kerosene , I am not sure about it. But this tracing is the easiest. For sarees, do a little by little. First trace a portion, finish embroidery and then do the next. That way, the tracing will not fade. Andtry to do it a quick as possible, otherwise you may feel bored. Also, do the pallu part and front part first, they will look good.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    here is a panel to be stitched on the kameez. Actually, the kameez got worn out but the worked one is intact. So I removed it so that I could use it on another kameez. This one is very easy, just count the holes and fill them with straight stitches. This is also a design by Needle and Thread. They give good offers from time to time. The offeres would be irressitable ones.

Attached Files:

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Great job, Varloo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Varloo,

thanks for your instant PM reply.
    I'm sorry I'm a bit late in responding - I did go thru the designs of the thorans & great job. nice to know, it's all your own creations. Nice to hear you are into handwork, etc.
    I saw your today's posting tooo & wow, the panel looks new & good and can be used onto a new kameez. After seeing your interactions, I'm tempted to try some needle work tooo.
    Pls do post pics of your work - it's inspiring.

Love & regards,

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

wonderful. Varloo

Dear Varloo,
    The pieces exhibited are fantastic. You are versatile.
    Regards,
    Meenu

5. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Fantastic Work

Hey Varloo,
    Your work is very inspiring. I love hand embroiedries and your designs are superb. I m in seattle. Can i get the Needle and Thread here in any way.
    Please do reply if someone knows about it.
    Thanks

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear PP,
    I think you can get the mag. delivered to you. Any of the Bangaluriites could call up Madura Coats and find out. I shall also try to find out.
    In the meantime, if anyone want any design, do let me know- I shall scan and send you.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Artistic..

Dear Varloo...
    Happen to see this thread just now. Your needlework is very good and they look beautiful in the pics that you have posted. Good work Varloo...

L, Kamla

8. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

tracing designs

Dear Nitya Prabha

For tracing designs on to any fabric the best method is to use tracing paper. U first copy the design on to a tracing paper. With a pin pierce wholes on the design at equal distances. After completing piercing the entire design you keepthe tracing paper on the fabric where u want the design. Now take a small sponge piece or cotton ball, dip it in the blue powder (which we use for whitening of clothes) mixed with small quantity of kerosene and rub it uniformly on the tracing paper. Rub twice for better design. When u r designing border repeat the process till the border completes. In this way u can have uniform design and need not trace again and again with carbon paper, which normally leaves carbon marks on the fabric.

Instead of blue u can also use zinc powder which we can get in hardware shops. Mix zinc powder with kerosene and use it as above.

Actually I was away to my hometown for pongal vacation, so a bit delay in replying.

With regards
    Varudhini

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Varudhini,
    hope you have a good time celebrating Pongal with your family. I have not traced the way you have given. I knew of it but had not tried it so far. Is it easier and does it not leave the kerosene marks on the cloth? How do we remove that stain? Please let me know.

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sujata,
    thanks for the compliments. I have yet to finish it fully. I love embroidery but now due to lack of time, am not able to do it as much as I want to.