Ekalavya story...your views?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rakhii, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I was quite surprised when I was going through Times of India online paper this morning about Ekalavya.

Dronacharya's act was shameful, says SC - The Times of India

Apparently, Supreme court has lashed out on Dronacharya's (Drona) act as shameful for asking the thumb of Ekalavya.
    How the supreme court has time for this with so many pending cases is beyond me and besides the point. Before I rush to defend Drona's act, let me explain the story of Ekalavya in short.

Ekalavya was the young prince of Nishada tribes. He used to live near the ashram where Drona was teaching various arts to Pandavas. Ekalavya wants to join the class but was refused by Drona because Ekalavya belonged to lower caste.

Not to be put off, the brave Ekalavya, makes an idol of Drona in a jungle and teaches himself the art of archery. He learns so much so that his skills are far more superior to Arjuna, Drona's best student.

One day while Ekalavya was practicing archery in the jungle a dog starts to bark relentlessly. Ekalavya shoots arrows at it in such a way that the dogs mouth is filled with arrows but the dog is unharmed.

Seeing the dog like that, pandavas go in search of who had done such a great art. Ekalavya then says that Drona was the teacher.
    Then, Drona asks for the thumb of Ekalavya as guru dhakshina so that Arjuna is still the best when it comes to archery. Ekalavya complies.
    This is the story.

many people criticize Drona for doing this and many people commend the dedication Ekalavya had to sweetly comply with guru's wish.

Now, I personally think that Drona was not wrong in asking for thumb (in other words, punishing him professionally). First of all in the olden days caste system was followed. Every caste people had their business. Like Khatriyas protect the country, Brahmans perform puja's etc etc. So, we cannot blame Drona for not taking in Ekalavya.

Secondly, what exactly was Ekalavya trying to prove when he made an idol out of Drona? I mean, it was clear that Drona didnt want to teach him. So, Ekalavya should have respected that and should not have made that idol.
    Also, when Pandavas ask who his teacher was...he says it was Drona. Why? This could have potentially gotten Drona killed if Pandavas actually believed Ekalavya. Also, its unethical to say he was Drona's pupil when he was not.

You can't teach yourself quantum mechanics by reading Feynman's book and then claim that you learnt quantum mechanics from Feynman himself.

For that reason alone, Ekalavya had deceived Drona and Drona had a right to ask him the thumb.

Also, what if Ekalavya said 'No' for giving the thumb?

Then, he would have gotten killed. Perhaps he stood a chance fighting Arjuna alone but not Drona and Arjuna together. In order to save his own life, he gracefully let his thumb go.

I am not saying this is what has happened but it a possibility that this is what was going on in Ekalavya's mind.

What say everyone?

P.S: My intention was not to offended anyone. If I had come across as overly judgmental and offending, do let me know and I will edit out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Similar Threads
    1. mathangikkumar
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kamla
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi rakhii,
    when i started reading the thread i had my judgment already made'ofcourse ,Drona was wrong & poor Eklaya.'
    but,u have really changed my view. u have given ur arguments in nice logical way.really an unique way of seeing the things.
    i am impressed.keep it up:thumbsup
    pragati

3. Rakhii

Pragati, actually for a very long even I was holding Drona as a culprit. I mean, that's what we were taught in school right...that Ekalavya is the greatest etc? But when I read supreme courts ruling, I was quite shocked.
    In childhood we were never taught in India to question faith. When we grow up, we forget all about Ekalavya.

And then something like this comes up and now is when we really start looking at a different angle.

4. mayavindra

mayavindra Silver IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

I cannot accept your logic.

1)In your first point about caste system,you have mentioned about brahmans and Kshatriyas,then what are the lower caste supposed to do.They are restricted from learning or doing anything because they were not allowed to excel in any field.Imagine if Drona would have taught Eklavya - a lower caste guy,then he would have out smarted Arjuna -the upper caste guy.Hence Drona didn't want to teach Eklavya.This shows the domination of upper castes.

2)Secondly regarding Drona' idol - Hope you are aware of the fact that ladies are not allowed to go to Sabari Mala for some reasons.But that does not mean that ladies are not allowed to worship Iyappa idol at home or his photo.Also that doesn't mean that they are not allowed to enter temples having Iyappa idol.

3)Eklavya mentioned that Drona was his teacher - That was right.Because Pandavas came in search of the person who was so talented and it was for a good reason.Eklavya would have thought that by mentioning Drona's name he would be bringing in more good will about Drona with Pandavas.Had he not mentioned any name,they wouldn't have believed him.Or if he had mentioned any other name them it was an embarrassment to Drona.So what Eklavya did was right.

Hope you agree with me.

Rama

5. Rakhii

And finally Rama, I agree with you on the part that Ekalavya would have feared that Drona might be upset if he says someone else s name. If that was the case, I must say he was sensitive enough. But it still doesnt make it right to use the name, especially when Drona specifically forbid him in the first place.

Dont you think Ekalavya has potentially gotten Drona killed? lets say al the pandava's got angry that Drona taught better skills to Ekalavya and then banish him? What coud have happened then?

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i donnot think Drona would have been killed as
    firstly, he was a brahmin & killing brahmin was sin .
    secondly ,he was a teacher & a guru in those times was nearly worshipped.

rama,
    in those days caste distinction was very prominent in the society.its just like today in high end school poor slum kids can't study as they(their parents) have no money.
    in those days Ekalaya could not learn archery as he was not born with parents of high caste.

sindmani likes this.