1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

" Ego " & its observations from our experiances

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by subbutr, Sep 19, 2007.

1. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear friends,

Here is my observations and review to seek your opinions & reviews.

Ego is neither an entity nor a process.

It is only a notion of I-amness which exists in the mind.

The process of reducing the ego is for the mind and not for the ego itself, although we talk about the ego as separate.

It never exists without the mind.
    If a person is senseless, the person doesn't know about his or her state.

I-amness is dormant. It develops greed, pride, attachment, fear, etc.

The ego only owns all those things in the mind by saying “I am.”

Overall observing our Ego & its presence in every one of us can be seen as an attachments to worldly things.

In all identifications the ego is expressing its presence in a form of desire and attachment. If we were already nonattached, then there is no need of anything.

In all of our activities there is attachment and likes and dislikes.

But when the Dharma becomes our aim, then the ego, attachment and desires start loosening their grip.

Without the ego, no discipline, no austerity, no determination is possible.

The ego which traps in the world should be weakened and not that ego which is conducive to liberation.

In showing devotion to the self-chosen duty, due to that determination, one can achieve the self realizations.

When the mind is removed from worldly desires, then all our past & present pains and agony moves away from us.

Our explorations continues to find others & ourselves...

Let us perform our duties and let the results come its own way according to its merits and demerits.

The director of all the activities, mundane or spiritual, is the ego and it is extremely difficult to get over it.

All devotion, knowledge and meritorious actions fail to redeem a man or give him true enlightenment so long as the ego remains and interferes with his activities.

The presence of the ego, together with its preferences and prejudices, makes any spiritual endeavour or, for that matter.

The presence of the ego has some constructive role to play in the scheme of evolution, but that is so only upto a stage, after which it becomes an obstacle for further development.

Man's ego bound nature is limited in vision and so his judgement is prone to error, which we have seen, witnessed and experianced it.

So long as a man follows the dictates of his ego and is a puppet in the hands of his desires and individual plans which keep him preoccupied.

That's the reality.

To add more on ego, The Cornmanding Officer is like an individual ego commanding and controlling the individual's actions.

To say in simple words...It is a man without ego is God..

More interactions on this topic from our learned friends awaited....

Subbu

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Rightly said, Subbu Sir.
    I heard this story from the programme--Indha Naal Iniya Naal.
    One person was running all day and when asked what is the reason, because nobody is chasing him, he answered that the shadow is following him wherever he goes. He goes towards east during the morning and west during the evening.
    To solve the problem, a wise guy offered him the solution to lie flat so that the shadow will not follow him.
    This is to show that if we go towards God our ego falls behind and if we move away from God , ego is in front of us and if we surrender to Him the ego is controlled, just like the shadow in the morning and evening and also after lying down.
    Sriniketan

3. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you dear sriniketan for the fine observations and examples.

You have said it point blank. Thanks for the visits too...

As a team work, ego's disappears to take the back seat to find the assignments as the priorities.

Subbu