education and fee structure in schools for non indian citizen

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by shravanthika, Jan 25, 2009.

1. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

So...just was wondering all these days and having gone through ,I find there are lotsa people who have returned to India for good after having lived in foreign countries for longer periods of time.So you ll sure have foreign born kids.

So...how does the fee structure work for these kids in schools and colleges?Do we have to pay extra for not being indian citizens?How about in private schools?How abt their higher studies in colleges?

How do the kids cope up there in India especially after having lived here since their birth?Please throw in your experience and also tips for future comers.

How did you choose the school/college for kids and what was your primary criteria?And above all what made you go back to your home country...

Please chime in Ladies...

2. manjukanth

manjukanth Gold IL'ite

We are planning to move to India this year after almost 14 years here. My kids are 10 and have been here all their life. We are primarily worried about their schooling. We are so confused as to which school is "best" for them and if they will be able to adjust there. Secondly, we are worried if we will have any money left for other activities after spending on their school fees, uniform, transportations etc! The school fees are exorbitant!Drowning It is scary even to think of it and the only consolation is that we will be near family. That is the most important reason we wanted to move... The kids get to spend time with G parents, cousins etc and will be closer to them. Although I was born and brought up in Chennai, I will have a tough time adjusting as it has changed so much since I left. I am going back with an 'open mind' , taking in one day at a time.

3. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

thanks manju for being the first to come up with u r views and thoughts.

so..have u selected the school or the hunt is still going on?

So ...how much exorbitant is the fees?the cost of living in Chennai these days is unimaginable but also was wondering ..since there are people who can afford to such type of schools ..they r still "running" right?

so do you find any fee difference for a non citizen child ..and if so how much is the difference?

i dont know if we can save money ....after all...Drowning

4. geetha123

geetha123 New IL'ite

Hi Manju,

Welcome back home..
    Did you find out the schools ? what about second lang. issue ? does your kids can speak/write tamil ? In which part of Chennai are you going to stay ? I too was in the same situation last year. Somehow managed to cope up with it. Write to me, if you want anything else.

Bye
    Geetha

5. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Shravanthika,

The school fees does not change if you are a permanent resident of India. I don't know about all the expats living here.
    Ofcourse schools in India are nowadays charging exorbitant amount of money, but people are willing to pay that amount to get the best for their children. Everybody no matter middle class or upper class people are now ready to spend any amount of money for their child's education and all the extra curricular activities according to their ability. That has become the norm these days .

Jothi.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. manjukanth

manjukanth Gold IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

We are still looking at various schools but will most probably go with Billabong. My kids do not know Tamil(can understand well) but have started learning Hindi recently. Which school does your kid(s) go to? I heard that 2nd language in CBSE schools is lot more difficult than others. Is that true? If we go with Billabong we will be staying in Tiruvanmiyur area. Where do you stay?

7. AAAA

AAAA New IL'ite

Hi

My family is planning to relocate to chennai next year. <y children (9 and 6 next year) will be starting school in chennai. From reading this thread i understand I have the same concerns and questions as you. Would be great to get updates from ur experiences.
    1. Did you get admission in to a school yet and your reasoning behind choosing the school (by the way my fly will be living in Thiruvanmiyur too)
    2. Student teacher ratio, extra curricular activities, facilities in school esp bathroom etc...what was your research earlier and what is reality now that you are there?
    3. Is there any advice for me in terms of how to select schools. My children were also born USA and have been going to school here since.

any guidance is appreciated.
    Thanx!

8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Friends!! I want to continue this thread , please input your experiences of relocating to India after living abroad for sometime, how your children cope up with fast paced , pressurized education system in India and what kind of schools will be suitable for the kids of Indian origin who persued their early education abroad. how do you manage with second language etc. this will be helpful for many parents like me who are willing to settle in india for good in near future.

thanks,
    Sujatha.