Eating kasa kasa/poppy seeds payasam

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by bhappy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

I am preparing kasa kasa payasam for my DH as he has something like wounds in his mouth.

I am 3 months pregnant now and can i also eat that ? Is it safe for pregnant woman to eat kasa kasa/poppy seeds payasam ?

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Have you discussed with your obstetrician reg.???

Play close attention to what you put in your mouth while pregnant because what you consume can affect the development of your unborn baby. Drugs.com notes that it is most likely that the poppy seeds consumed in food are safe for pregnancy,they don't contain enough of the right kind of opium that gets you high.

Poppy seeds come from the same poppy as opium, which is used to make codeine and morphine, both strong painkillers. They are popular on breaded items such as buns and bagels. But because the seeds come from opium poppies, there is some concern regarding opiate levels in poppy seeds and the effect of trace opiates during pregnancy.

As poppy seeds are high in protein and rich in omega-3 fatty acids known as linoleic acid and oleic acid, they could provide health benefits during pregnancy. Omega-3 is essential for the brain development of the fetus.

very Minimal amount is good.:thumbsup
    Excessive amount is dangerous.:bonk

Thanks

3. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Don't eat it....it is not good in pregnancy...can harm you and baby...

4. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Few adverse effects have been reported from eating poppy seeds as traditionally used in cooking, for example a sprinkling on bread rolls,muffins etc.
    The poppy seeds themselves don’t contain opium alkaloids from the poppy plant, but they can become contaminated(the way they grown and harvested) Contamination can occur during collection if the sap of the poppy contaminates the seeds.

Data on the presence of opium alkaloids is uncertain, so it would be sensible to have poppy seeds in moderation during pregnancy.

We Indians use only minimal quantity of P.seeds incooking,that too occasionally..Nothing harm in Having once for a while.Since we don't have the knowledge about the quality of the seeds(contamination rate),Doc-elders tell us to avoid.

Many contradictions were there like eating papaya...papaya contains substances which could cause uterine contractions...so advised to make a distance from it.

If want to avoid risks better avoid the food-stuff.

thanks.