1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

East & West Surgeons Doctors & Physician

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Thyagarajan, May 16, 2024.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

This will please our Docs.
    *Eye Opener Shocking Comparison for Medical treatment - India & USA*
    By Great visionary, Respected teacher and mentor to many Orthopaedicians, Renowned Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Chandu J Thakkar.
    He chose to retire at the age of 60 at the peak of his successful career in Mumbai, but being young at heart, trained himself to be a commercial pilot in USA purely as a passion !
    *Here is the proud reality, In his own words of experience and wisdom...*
    Having practiced in India as an orthopedic surgeon, attached to Lilavati, Breach Candy, Hinduja hospitals, having own 10 bedded fully equipped surgical Centre and as Honorary professor of orthopedics at SION hospital for 30 years
    &
    My son who studied in USA after class 12 in India and trained and now working as orthopedic surgeon at Johns Hopkins
    I have following comparison between medical systems of two countries India & USA
    *A) India, Mumbai -*
    1. Training is more patient based. We have all latest diagnostic and treatment modalities available in most of Mumbai medical colleges. Investigations and treatment is much more prompt and affordable.
    2. Medicines are world class, available at very reasonable cost.
    3. Any patient can easily choose his care giver and can contact the senior most team member quiet easily.
    4. Even in emergency at odd hours if you visit any corporate hospital, chances are you will be seen by senior doctors within few hours.
    5. The doctor who operates on you, usually follows up with you.
    *B) USA -*
    1. Here in name of efficiency, there is loads of paperwork, rigidity in management in name of SOP and protocols, questionable services in emergency centers.
    2. Sky high cost of investigations and medicines.
    3. I went for blood work at quest lab. I got my results after 5 days after repeated inquiries and now every month I get copy of the same results on email and post
    4. I went to pharmacy to get prescription medicine, 3 girls on counter , no one else waiting, but was told to collect medicine next day. (In India, you would get your prescription of 10 drugs in 10 minutes or less)
    *And they say.....India is 3rd world country*
    *If anything that will make Indian healthcare as (in)efficient as US System would be medical insurance companies* It's happening already at alarming rate !
    Dr Chandu J Thakkar,
    Former Prof & Senior Orthopaedic surgeon, Mumbai
    From USA
    Posted as recd in WhatsApp

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I would endorse this in toto, not withstanding that my judgement is based purely on personal experience of having to go for treatment for removal of my wisdom tooth in the US recently. Tried fixing up an appointment for removal of the tooth due to the unbearable pain. All the previous years of our visit to my sons place in san jose, we invariably got health insurance done for the perios of stay of around 3 to 4 months each time. This time, as my stay was to be only 2 months, i insisted there was no need for insurance and proceded. To my dismay, the issue began just 2 weeks after landing there. Finally got an appointment with surgeon which was 25 days from the date of our request. Meantime, i carried on with umpteen doses of pain killers throughout- which i would never have attempted here in india. Finally, what would have costed me around 4 to 5 thousand at the max here, we shelled out 600$ in total. However, the surgeon did a great job and the removal and aftercare was almost painless and perfect!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner