Earth Hour

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Abu Dhabi' started by Richa_05, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BACKGROUND: black; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TD style="BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #f0f0f0" vAlign=top width=590 colSpan=3>At 8:30pm on March 28, 2009, cities across the world will turn off their lights for just one hour – Earth Hour™ – to show that it’s possible to take action on global warming.<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Switching off is a simple action that can make a difference and it sends a powerful message that the people of the world - and the people of India - care about the future of the planet.<O></O>
    <O></O>
    We need YOU to help make it happen.<O></O>
    <O></O>
    <O></O>
    What can you do?<O></O>

<O></O>
    1. Sign up to Earth Hour India by visiting www.earthhour.<WBR>in and commit to turning off your lights on March 28 from 8:30pm to 9:30pm. <O></O>
    Please remember to enter XXXX in the organization field of the sign up form.
    1. Join us on social networks and help spread the word about Earth Hour and involve your friends, family and workmates.
    ·Join our cause on Facebook http://apps.<WBR>facebook.<WBR>com/causes/<WBR>241272/52983264<O></O>
    <O></O>
    ·Follow Earth Hour updates on Twitter http://twitter.<WBR>com/earthhourind<WBR>ia<O></O>

<O></O>
    1. Take household appliances off standby; unplug any home appliances that are not being used and are on standby. Appliances left on standby account for up to 10% of the average household’s electricity use.<O></O><O></O>
    Pretty neat initiative - Shall we do it?<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=127><O></O>
    <V><V></V></V>
    <TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=336>
    <O></O>

<O></O>

<!--6-->​

1. Take household appliances off standby; unplug any home appliances that are not being used and are on standby. Appliances left on standby account for up to 10% of the average household’s electricity use.<O></O>

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009

2. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Sure Richa. I think every one of us should start doing it consciously to make the world more liveable for our kids. Lets start the greenathon right now.

vishy

3. nandinibabu

nandinibabu Bronze IL'ite

Richa,really I didn't know about this..thanks for bringing here and all must think about it..

cheers,

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear richa,
    thanks for bringing into notice an useful information. so nice of you to share
    with love
    pad.

5. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vishy, Nandini and Padmini for stopping by.........we hardly give a thought to some important issues that we so take for granted.........let's join in making a difference too and I'm happy that you gals stopped by to have a look. Let's see how it feels like to be primitive (to a certain extent) again. Take care.

6. marina20

marina20 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Richa..thanks for reminding....:thumbsup...i remem we did it last yr too!!!

7. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Hi everybody!

Thanks for this reminder,

everybit by us counts,

we should take every small step everyday to conserve energy,

rgds

8. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

Yeah, Marina. I remember too. We all did it last year........and hopefully many of us would do it this year too.

Ruhanee and Marina, thanx for stopping by......take care.

9. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Dear Rachna,

I too will join the gang. If not, in a major way all of us in a small way can make a positive impact in the fight against climate change.

I didn't know abt the percentage of energy consumption of standby appliances , but knew they consume some. I DONT FORGET TO SWITH OFF the ones on standby on a daily basis. Even when we go for our annual vacation i empty the fridge and switch off all the appliances .

Revathi

10. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

I'm happy you stopped by this thread, Revathi. In whichever way we can, we ought to make a difference, that's the goal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009