1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

early intervention program for speech delay

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by twinmommy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. twinmommy

twinmommy Junior IL'ite

Dear All,

I am aware that a lot has already been discussed about speech therapy. I have twins who are 19 months old. They babble, point out at objects and can follow direction. However they don't try to repeat words or attempt to say. I am thinking of calling the early intervention program for the same.

Has anyone tried local early intervention program for speech delay? How was the experience?

Is there any home remedy to help language development?

Thanks.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@twinmommy Havent they spoken even one word yet? They do babble right? What is the paed saying? What makes you think you need to go an early intervention program?

My dd at 18-19 months did not speak anything. She did not repeat words nor did she attempt to. Now at 2 she repeats words and speaks a lot compared to how she was earlier.

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I would say 18-19months are to early for a speech therapy.
    If you are comparing your chidren's speech with any of the babies in India then dont..
    There are lots of factors which effect the child's speech.

Playing rhymes
    telling them stories
    Talking to them like an adult helps.

4. twinmommy

twinmommy Junior IL'ite

Hi Dinny,

Thanks for your reply. Your words relieved me a lot.

they speak few words like ball, hi, mama, dada, baba, papa etc. Their doctor wasnt much concerned at the 18 month visit. However I am a bit worried as I have heard multiples have speech delays. Also being in US, they dont have many people to interact. I am not sure about the initial evaluation they do here. But I hope to rule out any physical problems they might have.

Yes in India things are completely different. I myself was an early speaker. hoping for the best with kids as well.

Thanks

2 people like this.
  5. Sowmya2809

Sowmya2809 Bronze IL'ite

Hey
    My son is 20 months and just repeats words that too depending on his mood
    Sersl dont compare with kids in india or for matter any kid since. Beleive each has different timing..my son was pretty fussy in all activities and now he can open bottles cupboards stuff lke that but you speech rvn i am worried ...guess once they start school or so will develop.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

twinmommy, mine is also a little slow like your tot's. That's what I thought and when I told my doctor about "delay", I was told that its not exactly a "delay". Its perfectly fine if she is saying even a handful of words. In your case too, if she is saying mama/dada etc, I think you are still perfectly fine and dont need any interventions.

Mine speaks a few words listening/ watching Baby Einstein dvd's. We have an allotted time to watch TV and she learned quite a bit by watching those.

7. twinmommy

twinmommy Junior IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii and Sowmya for the replies.

@ Rakhii: I too make them watch baby Einstein videos. I agree with you. But the only problem is I am not sure how long to wait for them to talk before trying out any intervention.

8. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My DD(21 months) also speaks only few words. She points her finger and communicate what she wants. She understands all my instructions like if I ask her to get diaper she goes and picks up and brings. If I ask her to brings shoes she does that. If I ask her where is fan, mug, brush etc she points.

I was told when theny follow you and communicate by pointing you need not worry. Some kids go slow in speech I think.

sweety