Dying to conceive

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by shvetawadhwa, Apr 13, 2010.

1. shvetawadhwa

shvetawadhwa New IL'ite

Hi

Have been married for 9 years & am having trouble conceiving. ALso have multiple health problems - PCOD, severly Overweight, irregular periods etc. Not sure who to consult coz all the docs that I've consulted till now just stop at my weight. They say I need to lose weight before I think of conceiving. Am having a tough time reducing weight. So i want some references of gynaes who deal in pregnancies for over-weight women in Delhi (just like in the US)
    Please help ... Thanks

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Shveta,

Being overwieght, having PCOS and irregular periods are ALL same ! They are not " different " health issues.

When a gynec asks you to control your weight, it simply means that by doing so, you will be able to get pregnant without any drugs or treatments. That is all.

You say, you have done enough to lose weight and have trouble with it.. What have you done till now ? I ask you this, because I had PCOS too. I worked out for 4 years religiously in the gym and didnt see any much difference in weight loss. BUT, I never gained ! That was the trick. This was before marriage..
    After Marriage, I took to Metformin tablet ( till I got pregnant ) alongwith Oral Contraceptives for 6 months and mind you, I never stopped exercising. I lost weight, my body toned and I am carrying my baby since 36 weeks !

You need to analyse what you've done to lose weight. Wether it was enough ? Also, visit a Reproductive endocrinologist who will handle your PCOS problems. Even Gynecs give you tablets like Metformin, since you havent spoken about them.. I suggest you visit a RE.

Now, even an RE can help you getting pregnant with treatments or tablets like Clomid etc. but, to sustain the pregnancy, you need to be " healthy " !
    Being over / under weight is not healthy. So, again the ball is back in your court.

Svetha, do not lose hope. WOmen can concieve with PCOS. it just takes sometime. Work on your weight and visit a RE ( Reproductive Endocrinologist ) ..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shveta,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum.
    You can find our forum guidelines here..

To add with preethi's response, concentrate on weight reduction. Do regular exercises. Even walking everyday will help you to lose the extra weight. Focus on diet too. Eat healthier food. Avoid junk foods. Reduce the intake of carbohydrate based foods. Include more vegetables, greens. Have fruits too! With proper diet & exercise, you can loose your weight.

Stay positive. Just focus on the things which are good to your health.
    Baby dust to you.

4. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

Shveta,

As preethi mentioned all these issues are interrelated. If you could control your weight you can control your PCOS. And if you could control PCOS then you could conceive naturally provided there are no other issues.

With proper diet and excercise you can control your weight. Metformin does help in weight loss.

Visit this link and join weight loss buddy forums. There are many ppl there who lost almost 15 -18 kgs in a year with proper diet and excercise.

IndusLadies - FatChickGoesSlim

5. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

shveta
    Just wanted to add to what others have said. It is always better to control your weight before starting ttc. Being healthy is very essential so you dont run into complications during your pregnancy. If possible try to have only fruits for dinner and avoid rice or rotis. and Have the dinner before 7 PM. I tried this for a few months along with regular walking and it did give significant results.

dont lose hope...baby dust to you

6. Shanmukhabhavan

Shanmukhabhavan Silver IL'ite

me too would like to throw a few words Svetha! i believe you do not consume that many carbohydrates in you diet since you eat roties everyday, understood through your city name. so try to increase number of times eating meal. have 4-5 servings with very little bit quantity each time you eat. drink a letre to letre and half water a hour before you take anything. it will reduce the feeling to eat much. if you can not do any exercise, just prefer to walk everytime you do or you go. try to get on and down the stairs if you can. hopes this helps a bit.

as long as i know, here in US also doctors say weight control before conceiving. even they advise to see a dietitian and want to follow the same. In my case it did happen, just my own experience, not sure about others.

I wish you good luck! and baby dust to you!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Shvetha where there is will there is way.Just think of the benefits you will have of losing weight...You will look slimmer,prettier & soon there will be a lovely baby to call you mommy.
    Keep this goal in your life.Before any doctor starts helping you, You have to help yourself.100% you can lose weight if you give it a serious try.Avoid ghee,butter in your food.Try to follow diet at home & enroll into good gym.Please do not neglect.its good for your helath too.you have to motivate yourself & work towards acheiving your goal.All the best & baby dust.

8. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Weight reduction is the key to success!

Good Luck!

9. Meenags

Meenags New IL'ite

Dear Shveta, others -

I am married for about 4yrs now, I was diagonsed with PCOS a year and half back, due to overweight , it lead to many other harmonal problem.. when I sat back and realised why it was so :

I found these reasons within me :

1. Untimely eating habits due to work pressure
    2. I was stressed out.. * main reason for putting on weight
    3. Not eating the the right type of food
    4. did not consult the right doctor.

After analyzing this year back. I started to take baby steps to reduce weight first: Started with timely food , no snacks in bwtn.. office .hours. when i used to feel hungry , i used to eat few dates/alomonds.. , most importantly - walking and little bit of yoga everyday for 30min -helped me in reduce weight from 69 to 56kgs now.. It took atleast year for me..

I also started taking warm water frequently .. to help food digest quickly !
    This was my experience, am happy that now I have lost the extra fat and bulky ness which was there then and now am more fit looking person.. I would'nt say am slim.. but i don't look FAT... or bulky ..

My friend referred to me a senior endrocrynologists and I consulted her and she put me under medicines..
    Along with exercise ,basic diet and medicines, My periods were regular .. and my doc says that I can now plan for a family and am eagerly looking forward for the same..

I would suggest : first understand what is your body type and you yourself can make a custom menu for you .. hope this helps.. and don't worry stay positive and things will help..

best wishes..
    meena.

10. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Meenags,

Yours is an inspirational story for weight reduction.Thanks for sharing buddy!Best wishes for further weight reduction:thumbsup