1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DW's who want to retain their family last name after marriage to DH !!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by trueloveseek, May 18, 2014.

1. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

I'm still using my maiden name. My parents gave me my identity not my husband. It will be there till my last moment on earth.

3 people like this.
  2. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Why would I want to not retain my maiden name, is it not part of my identity. There is also a much more practical reason. At the time I got married I already had PAN card, driving licence, educational certificates,voters ID, etc in my maiden name. We stayed quite far away from where I grew up and there are so many hassles. For this issue too many women are retaining their maiden name.
    Yes I have a hyphenated surname and I am proud of it. I know somewhere my dad is proud that I never gave up my surname.
    I am sorry but I didn't get it about your kids last names and how old are they? Are they going to school?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, it is not fair to the kids that they do not have a family name (surname, last name). When they are older, they might be able to deal with the questions about missing family name, but till then, it might impact their confidence when asked why they don't have a family name.

If your wife and you couldn't agree on a family name for the children, and hyphenated also was not acceptable, one option would be to give the child a name that has two parts. Over time, the second part takes the form of a family name.

1 person likes this.
  4. bluebanana

bluebanana Bronze IL'ite

I have retained my surname after marriage. I have my own identity and will not change it just because I am married to someone.

5. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

I was so eager to change my name after marriage, and i did too. Its a hassle, and it costs money to change your name on driver's license , passport. Not to mention, amount of time it takes them to change the stuff. I wish i didn't change my name.

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I kept my maiden name because I was professionally established by the time I married my husband. So, in my professional network I am known by my maiden name, however, I use my husband's last name when I give a mailing address yo some store etc. We gave our son hyphenated last name, so he hss both of our names. He can choose to keep one or other or both.

7. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I didn't change my surname nor do I intend to. Partly for convenience, partly because that's my professional name and partly that I don't see the point in doing so. I was born who I was and that will remain my identity. I may revisit my decision after having kids but yeah, I'm okay with my kids having my husband's last name since this is not really an ego battle for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

I am kind of dicey.My work-etc..all maiden names since i was brought up in a state,studied in a state,now after marriage in another state,so makes senseto continue the same name-Else will have to run around all 3 states & all universities,noc's,notaries etc...But pan card,voter id is in marital name even though i had written maiden name they automatically upgraded my name!!!Sometimes i get confused who i am -But then its just a name!!

9. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

What is the need to change / amend the name after marriage? Nothing wrong to continue with the name you had since birth. Like someone said, changing surname / last name is only a western concept, I think. After marriage, I started writing my name with the first letter of my DH's name as initials. But, he told me there is no need to change my identity after marriage and asked me to write my name as it used to be. Its only a matter of choice. Some may like to change their surname just as a fashion or due to peer pressure. Ultimately, its your choice.

10. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

I retained my last name after marriage and told my husband so. My name is an identity given to me by my parents. I am proud of it and I want to retain my lineage in my name just as husband would like to. Why would that be wrong?

I don't get it why this is an issue or needs a field research? IF you do not want to give your kids hyphenated name, give each one of one of parents. One after dad, one after mom. Or a common surname that will work for you both and that would be the surname. This would only be a problem if neither of you is ready to adjust. IN that case hyphenated name may be better choice.