due date and delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by lavii, Feb 9, 2010.

1. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

had a question could be silly but just curious
    i heard any baby born before 37 weeks is called premature baby
    now my question is my due date according to doc is 17th july and one of my realtives was saying delivery can happen anytime from june17-july 17th
    so she was asking me to apply maternity leave from june 15 onwardss
    so are babies born only after 37 week i mean if not premiees
    if thats case i can take leave from july which will be 37th week
    i have to discuss this with manager and hr by march so seeking advise before

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

lavii,
    Dont get tensed or scared. Baby will come out when its ready, it can be a premie or fullterm. If everything is fine and your scan reports are good, there are more chances in last week of due date. But as per elders, anytime in 9th it can happen, that may be the reason your aunt might have told like that. As you will be going for Ultrasounds, that is the best way of identifying the growth,generic problems of the baby.
    preterm birth refers to the birth of a baby lessthan 37 weeks of gestational age. These tests also help in other problems related to Placenta issues like praevia,abruptio or toomuch/less of amniotic fluid which could threaten the pregnancy and lead to premature delivery.One more issue will be low birth weight. So have your ultrasounds done on time and follow gynic's advices. You will get a good healthy baby in your hands on your duedate. May be you can ask for a working from home option in your 9th month and so that you can work till your due date. You need leave after your delivery than prior to delivery.

M

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

thanks for your reply Priya_Mommy
    ya just wanted to make sure i take leave at right time
    like you said want to be with baby as much as i can rather than taking leave before if everything goes well
    i just entered 5th month now a couple of collegues here have taken leave from their 7th month and they had to get back to office when kid was in 2nd month
    i feel atleast till some 4-5months till we start solids want to be with kid even with LOP

4. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Hello folks,

I have another question(maybe silly!!, but anyways wanted to check it out). I was told by my friends and elders that the second child will be ready much faster and usually is born a week or two before the due date. Is it true or a myth, as usual?

Cheers
    Uma

5. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma,
    even i heard the same that the second babies are generally early since the muscles have already been stretched from first delivery.
    -Priya
    [​IMG]

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

lavii,

Not every baby born in the 9th month is called a premie( atleast not in India, i assume ).. Babies born before the 9th month are called so. Even then, their system will be full developed that they need little intensive care. That is all..

But, anytime after 7th month is considered a delivery time.. :) My mom says so.. Moreover, the baby tends to add his best pounds during the last trimester and so, many in india take off from the 7th month to just relax, eat wel and rest. :)

But, we also have people who work till their due date.. My mommy says, she worked till the previous day of her due and I was born exactly one day after her due date..

So, Uma and Priya, that answers your questions as well.. I am the second baby to my mom and I was born after due date.. :)

Two of my friends gave birth recently for the second time and both of them were 2 days before the due date.. So, guess, it all depends on the contractions and development.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Doctor,
    Hope you are doing good!!! As per elders anytime from 7th month is considered as due date and add on pounds to LO.
    Very recently my watchman's daughter delivered baby girl in 7th month and mom and baby are doing pretty good.

Yes, if everything is fine we can work till last day of due date.Count me into that group, where I worked 4 days before due date and delivered exactly on due date with normal delivery.
    Even I am second for my mom and born a day after due date.

8. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

wow
    preethi and priya mommy thats a good inspiration for me now
    ya i will try my best to come till 8th month ending atleast if everything goes well
    just want to make sure i dont get those pains in office like its shown in movies ..will be sooooo emabarassing

9. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Thanks Priya and Preethi!! Anyways, I am planning to take my leave 15 days before my due just to avoid situation like what Lavi mentioned[hehe]. Other reason is that, I need atleast a week's time break from my office hectic schedule and want to enter into delivery phase in a relaxed manner.
    Take Care!
    Cheers
    Uma

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Interesting thread!

Babies born after 37th week are considered full term. Mine was born at 37 weeks 2 days and weighed a healthy 7.5 pounds. It was my first pregnancy, the early delivery was brought on by gestational diabetes.

My due date was sept 2 so I had taken maternity leave from aug 8th. but ds decided he did not want to wait and was born on aug 14th. so I had a very little break but I was working from home from the beginning of my 2nd trimester (thank you boss!) so it was not that big an issue.

1st, 2nd, 3rd it does not matter. baby comes when baby is ready :)