1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

driving road test during pregnancy..is it ok??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi all

I am actually planning to go for driving road test and also i plan for driving class bfr the test. I am scared to take up the test since i m pregnant cos we will have the fear to drive in road right,so i feel it might harm the baby..shal i take up the class and test?? What do u all feel?? I will be 6 mnths while taking up the test..

Need ur suggestions..

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    DOn't worry about the test, nothing will happen. I myself drove to hospital and got admitted for my labour.
    All the best about your test.

~Punitha

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

but we usually will have fear while driving right.. vayatha kalakum nu solluvaargal la...i worry about that fear, whether it might harm the baby??

Thanks for the immediate response punitha..

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sandhya,

Like Puni , i too drove till the day I delivered my baby and then again from the day i was discharged. While there is nothing to worry about driving right till the end if one is healthy and no health complications, if you are going to learn for the first time while pregnant, then i would recommend that you wait till until after the delivery. More so, because, in pregnant state, we are more anxious about the baby, and out thoughts are always on the unborn child( especially if it is your first). We do tend to get nervous and make mistakes. So my suggestion is that you wait till you deliver you child.

vandhana

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sandhya,

I second Vandhana...you should wait.This 'Vayatha Kalakkare'feeling will definitely be there ,especially if you are not used to driving even a two-wheeler on the road.

I myself don't know how to drive a 2-wheeler and so learning to drive a car,that too in India was definitely tough and scary. After I learnt driving ,and after getting a license,I conceived almost immediately and that was it,nobody allowed me to drive after that:frown: .

Then again I learnt driving after landing here. First day for 2 hours,the instructor took me on inner roads only and those two hours were stressful.The second day,another instructor took me straight on the freeway and I was like this:shaking: .

So,my advise would be the same as Vandhana's.

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

hi friends

thanks for ur suggestions, but i have got car license in india, also i know to drivce 2 wheeler, i have also have experience in driving here few months back, except that i dont know to do 3 point turn and parallel parking. Only that i have to learn with the help of learning school..
    Even then i feel scared, but once i get confidence after 2 days of driving , i think i make thro it.
    Lets see..

Thank u everybody...

7. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

It all dependens on how confident u are.

I was basically like u but did not have a experience even with a 2 wheeler.

I was so scared and it was my hubby who encouraged me and got my licence in the 8th month.But I did not take up driving class and it was my hubby who helped me.

So take it to your instincts which might be a better judge.:yes:

8. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sandhya,

I was pregnant (3 months) when I took the driving test. It is a little anxious and nervous while you take the driving test and it also depends on how confident you are.

As Vandhana & Sunita had suggested, I would ask you to wait till you deliver your baby and then take the driving test, if you feel like 'vayatha kalakaradhu'. But if you think you can give it a try, then I would suggest you can because it is in no way going to harm the baby. In fact, knowing to drive is going to help you a lot after delivery in taking your baby to the hospital for well-checks. Need not depend on your husband for his time.

BTW, check with your state license office whether they allow pregnant ladies to take the driving test. Because some states do not allow if you show up and look huge (I mean your tummy is like touching the steering wheel).

Good Luck.

Malathy

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

oh thanks malathy for ur suggestions, i feel like i can take up the test, but as us aid i will confirm bfr i go for road test whether preg. women r allowed or not.
    thanks