1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Driving license

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by Moumit, Jan 23, 2010.

1. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rachana and Amitha,

Congratulations!!!! Can you guys please share what are the things they asked to do in road test?

In Kilmer(edison) i heard road side, how about in Rahway? Where they ask to proform the test?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Usha,

I took the written test in Edison, but gave the road test in Rahway. The place is under construction and some parts of driving test (uphill / downhill parking) are not there for the time being. So the test was a little easy. They asked me to drive a little bit to see how I drive at stop signs & other junctions. Then K-turn, straight reverse & parallel parking.

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Amitha,

That was great piece of information, planning to take road test shortly after few practice section on weekends with my hubby, as i have toddler, it is tough on weekdays,

Thanks alot.

4. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

I went through Technical driving school guy. He tought me exactly what they ask in test. And he doesn't scold, has a lot of patience while teaching. My friends had horrible experience with a couple of other driving schools. So are you learning from your husband? My DH is a horrible teacher :rant, that's why I chose the driving school :)

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Amitha,

Thanks for info. I took few classes from Bombay driving school, i would say he was ok, took few :rantpooja from him during learning. But he was prompt.

Hey i need two piece of information. Did they ask the reason for taking location as Rahway for test? Because I'm in Edison, planning to take at Rahway, as i heard some bad reviews at Kilmer road test....

One more thing, do they ask to do parallel parking in between cones? Can you share your experience on this?

Thanks in advance dear.

6. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Usha,

I took the written test in Edison and was supposed to give the road test also there. So when I went to Rahway center with the driving school guy, they did ask why I was taking the road test in a different place. And the driving school guy told them that there were some more classes left to cover up ... the dates that Edison people are not matching these ... if we don't give the road test on the dates they are saying then I would have to schedule an appointment on internet (which would give me after 3 months) ... therefore selecting Rahway. It was a very silly reason, but the guy just smiled and gave me an appointment.

If you have written the test in Edison, they will definitely ask why you are scheduling road test in Rahway. Have you already written the test and where? If you have not written the test yet, take it in Rahway. Eitherway they cannot stop you from giving the test wherever you prefer.

Secondly yes I had to do parallel parking. It was a breeze. The driving school guy (from whom I took lessons), teaches in such a way that you do the parallel parking PERFECT. Never ever he scolded me, not even a slight increase in the voice - a gentleman I should say. Did the driving school guy not teach you parallel parking techniques?

Oh another thing - Saturdays after 2PM there will be nobody in Rahway center ... You can go through and practice. I went with DH to do some practice. But they do give ticket if they catch you practising there - so be careful.

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Amitha; Usha

Two doubts
    1. What does this "live traffic" means? I read in other thread that Edison testing is done in live traffic. I didn't understand what it meant.
    2. Do we need to wait for three months after giving written test? Is it mandatory? I have an Indian licence. I was planning to take written test after coming to edison. So if I add three months to it; most prbly I will get a slot around sept(if there is no waiting list). I don't want to drive around in winter;)

-Nitha

8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Amitha,

I wrote my written in Edison. Read in other thread more than two who failed in Edison, gave their try in Rahway, passed it as there people little friendly...

So took the appointment online in rahway..now little confussed about what to tell them, when i 'm asked anything...

By the way thanks for tips...about rahway practice..will do that if possible. If possible planning to take 1or 2 class from school willtry with the school you mentioned.

Yes he taught me the technique of parallel parking..i remember that very well...but its been very long gap.

thanks dear.

9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nitha

Let me share what i know, hope Amitha will pour on this.

They will ask you to do road test, with live traffic, road side along with other cars.

If you have India license already, then you can take few practice class, finish written test and after 2weeks roadtest.

One more suggestion, try to finish it in summer. Because i did a bad start..in last august, that oo not perfect and regular..whenever i can. then started regualrly in October with driving school...and finsihed in Nov written..which was bad start,,,now long gap....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Ohh; Thanks Usha
    So if we have a valid Indian licence; we need to wait only for two weeks. Thats better:). I will take around one month for sure; but three months was a big gap.

I din't understand the meaning of "live traffic". I thought everywhere we have to take it in "traffic". I didn't know of the other option:)) Even In India it is same; isn't it; license is given after taking a "H"; a roadtest.

All the best usha
    -nitha