1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dream to live together but reality is different......

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vimmy38, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Vimmy38

Vimmy38 New IL'ite

Hello members:
    My first thread here and hope to hear from all of you.
    I am a married woman with 2 children. Married for last 13yrs. Ours was an arranged marriage.
    As every woman even I had lot of dreams and hopes about my married life.
    These were my wishes and my imagination before marriage.
    I dreamt of a happy, romantic life with my future hubby. One who would
    always make me happy and inturn I would reciprocate equally. One who would be romantic, naughty and most importantly
    honest.
    There were plenty of dreams with my spouse and I also hoped and dreamed about beautiful, decent life along with
    inlaws and my future husband's sisters and brothers.
    In my imaginations I had MIL and FIL living with us. FIL and MIL would have a room all for themselves with
    their stuff like clothes and books and their own personal belongings in it.
    Dh and I in our own bedroom, kids would have their own cute room colorfully decorated.
    We would all live together sharing work and enjoying each others company just like you
    see in some family oriented movies. May be I watched too many movies back then!!
    I imagined ourselves all going for picnics once in a while and husband's sisters and brothers, aunts
    and uncles visiting us . I saw my own parents participating in our family events as well.
    My inlaws would be happy to be around us and we would all be celebrating festivals together since of course
    we all would be living in our own....nice little home!!!
    I saw my FIL as the elder, most respectable member of the household whom I would always approach for advises and
    my MIL as the most patient, understanding woman advising me in kitchen and other household matters, whom I would love to be with.
    I saw my SIL and BIL if any, as most fun
    loving people. I saw them all paying high regards to my parents and my siblings.
    My parents and my inlaws having nice, long chats and fun over dinner whenever we invited my parents and my dh helping me
    in every possible way be it in kitchen or housekeeping. I always saw my inlaws as most respectable people whom my dh and I would
    love to serve our life with pleasure.
    OK Ilites, dreams are after all dreams......I realized after few years into marriage.
    No matter what I do or how I behave I am being compared and criticised always. I have a SIL and a BIL who are ever craving
    for attention and importance and no matter what dh and I do is something less for them. They always complained about me to inlaws
    and I would be asked to behave well. I never understood why I was always misunderstood even after I explained my situation.
    My parents were never invited, I mean, I could have invited but what is the point when no one other than me and dh talk to them.
    If I am busy cooking, my parents are left for themselves. FIL was always moody and MIL very proud about.....till this day I am unable
    to guess.....she thinks she is superior to the rest and so ignores my mom completely. She even criticises and never agrees with my parents on
    whatever it is. If he had mood then FIL would talk to my dad else even if my dh said vimmy's dad is here, he would look at him like......so what???
    At that time, dh and I lived with inlaws in inlaws house. The house was a 4 bedroom one with huge garden. Whenever FIL talked about how
    the house was constructed and how he worked towards it, he would infact directly bring up the point how dh being his son could not still
    own a house and how he could not make the amount of money FIL made when he was of the same age. There were so many times, dh was
    criticised and compared with his brother. Sometimes, I used to feel we are a burden to them, living in their house. FIL always boasted
    about his success . He wanted dh to join in the family business as BIL did but dh refused and took up a job on his own which was of his interest.
    The family run business never interested him. He was scolded for it even infront of me.
    1, 2, 3, years passed like this. DH would leave in the morning and I would be with inlaws. I stay home. The only good thing here is they
    never restricted me if I want to go out in the afternoons but ofcourse commented on my spendings as extravagant whatever it was.
    I gave up explaining to them and accepted them as they were. I never ever complained to my dh and thought it was not worth it since
    it is hard for any one to admit their parents at fault. But gradually over years, my dh saw the indifferent behaviour of his parents.
    One fine day, it was 4 yrs and 3 months into our marriage, our first child was 3yrs old and I was pregnant again, DH came from work and said
    that there are some newly constructed houses and he is planning to take one and wanted to me to accompany me the next day to see.
    I went and we liked it. I said but why are we taking 2 bedroom one, when we really need a 3 bedroom one. DH said because it will be you,me
    and kids in that house.
    I said what about your parents, the present house is huge but they are old too. How can they live alone there? Dh said......."enough!!. I had enough
    of all this, now I want some time to be alone. Yes, I will do my duty as a son but will keep myself distant. Getting close did not work out for me.
    tell me, do you want to come with me or not? shall I book this house or not? I will do whatever you say".
    I was caught in a fix. I thought what will inlaws say? I thought over it for few days and finally told dh to do as he wished.....buy that house.
    I retracked my dreams and I found life so different in reality. The only best thing I thought is to go by my husband's wishes and not bother
    about what others would say. Inlaws simply disliked our decision. FIL started shouting what will people think? See your brother, he made an equally bigger house
    like ours and you opt for such a tiny house. Dh said but that is my budget. FIL said take money from me, I will give you. Join our business like
    your brother did and see how he is making money, whats wrong. Dh said I have told you so many times that does not interest me at all.
    All the time inlaws only worry was what will others think if son lives in a smaller house. BIL also scolded dh and tried to explain to me that
    FIL's dignity would be lowered if we moved out and lived in smaller house. BIL lives separately in another town looking after the business there.

Now it is over 9 yrs we live separately and I find my dh and myself very happy and not live as though we are indebted
    to someone. We live a nuclear family unlike what I dreamt. We live away from inlaws and they hardly ever visit us unlike what
    I dreamt. I am thankful atleast I have a understanding,caring and romantic hubby like in my dreams.....
    Was sitting and reading some of the threads this afternoon and just felt like penning down here.
    Share your side too......
    SORRY! IF I BORED YOU GUYS......BUT WISH TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOU!!!

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Vimmy

Dreams are different, present day happiness is different.
    Hats off to your DH for saying the 'enough' on time. There are many people who stick to big joint families for silly reasons and overlook the happiness that comes with freedom.

3. Haya

Haya Gold IL'ite

Vimmy,

its gud that the story ended like " they lived happily ever after" :)
    even if it was not picture perfect like ur dreams, u r hnvg a happy life now
    Thank God for that

Happy for u..

Haya

4. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I saw so much of myself in your post! Before marriage (as in before I even knew my dh) I had dreams of what married life would be too.... just like you I imagined fun family get togethers, everyone having fun at home, being loved by inlaws and giving them lot of love too.... and then just like in your case, reality turned out to be a lot different. Your dh decided to put a distance between him and his parents, and even my dh decided to put distance between himself and his parents. I also ended up with a guy who fulfills my dreams.... loving, sweet, romantic, fun.

Yeah, it is really sad when dreams to do not work as we had wished. In fact that is a big lesson I learned in life.... not to dream up big scenarios where people are perfect and life is smooth in all ways. Because what I have found is, putting your hopes in the hands of other people, will only lead to dissapointment. My inlaws turned out to be nasty people.... fil gets drunk and threatening, mil has a sick obsession with marwadi girls and she talks cheap with swear words, my sil is a woman but acts tough and intimidating like a man, and all the cousins are least bothered to have anything to do with me or dh because they are too busy partying/wrapped up in their own lives. Yes, inlaws have improved a bit since the beginning, but damage is done.

Despite this, I feel happy today because I have changed my expectations from marriage. I accept that my inlaws are what they are, and will not change. Instead, I try to be thankful for the things that have gone right.... like the love between me and dh. And instead of trying to complete our family with inlaws and siblings, me and dh agreed that family will again feel complete when we have kids of our own.

I think you made the right decision to live seperate and put distance. It was the right decision for us too. :thumbsup

5. kiran1

kiran1 New IL'ite

Vimmy, I am glad the story does have a happy ending.

I was older when I got married, so any dreams I had when young had been thoroughly thrashed by the realities of life. :biglaugh

When we give up what we thought we wanted, we get what we need. And you certainly sound like you have that, including a very good husband who sees the reality of what is.

Anyhow, it was nice to read your post. Best wishes to you and your family!

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Vimmy

Your post is going to be the last one for this year and for ever I will ever talk about my inlaws in future...I exactly had the same dreams and thoughts..but when those dreams were shattered...there was no noise or sound...basically I lost the trust that I can really think something good about and plan something for people who are like my parents..that too when we see the other person doesnt accept us...among those comparisons, and comparisons life becomes sick and long....with never ending complaints/taunts and tacts. Thats when I gave up.

I hope every girl atleast has this happy ending of ..the spouse understanding the plight of his wife...most of the problem here is solved by your husband, agreed your dreams are all still in question mark phase...but Have hope...never loose hope...you never know how things might turn out...even if not, the hope sure would make it more worth waiting for things to be back to normal.Thank God for the blessing that you are not judged every day...if people have to see good in you, near or far eventually they will see it and unite with you, but if they are not of that type to ever realize the damage they caused, beleive me , even if you are right infront of them under one roof, they wont see it. So let time decide....good luck...

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vimmy,

How true! Life and dreams are so totally different. But you know what? I :bowdown to your dh. What a man! He has a spinal cord to stand up and support not only his wife, but also to do what he thinks is right and maintain his own dignity and self respect. I wish there were many more such men in this world. Hope his parents soon wake up to the fact and learn to appreciate the fact that their son is a self made man.

And so what if one part of your dream did not materialize? Just look upon it as a beautiful dream you had and enjoy all the good things in life you have. It is so sad to see what some ladies go through with their in laws and with their husbands who do not support them, instead demanding that they put with anything and everything that the in laws demand. On the other hand you have a husband who really loves, cherishes and nurtures you. :clap

Good luck to you and wish you all the happiness in your life.

swati

8. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

What an interesting and positive read! I am happy that you and DH did not have issues between the two of you inspite of the drama at home with your inlaws. I am glad that your DH is independent, confident and wanted to live on his own. It is a rare thing. So many people lose themselves in the whirlpool that is family politics. You got out at the right time. Congratulations!

9. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

I will just say one thing to movie producers and script writers..have moew movies that reflect the reality.

10. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Vimmy,

I feel your real life is much better than your dream life :)

I guess we watched "Hum aapke hain koun" and such movies too many times where everyone including the servants get moist eyed if you so much as sneeze :rotfl