Down Syndrome Test-is it safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by hellocanada, Aug 18, 2007.

sequentisl screeing is important for indian ladies.

Poll closed May 31, 2009.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. optional

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. coolgirl011

coolgirl011 Senior IL'ite

Re: Need help urgently

Hi AnithParth

ya my due date is jan 10 2010 .....can u send me the link to the forum ..i would like to join

Thanks...

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

coolgirl dont worry abt the test. it is quite uncommon for indians to not "pass" the test. plus it is an u/s so it gives you a chance to see your precious little one in great detail. and the test is more accurate than the afp which is done in the 2nd trimester. that one can give many false positives which can lead to an unnecessary amnio. but if you get the nuchal done in the 11th week, you can decline the afp later. congrats and do enjoy the pregnancy!

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hey Coolgirl,

Sorry your name please.
    Please join - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/due-date-clubs/56608-jan-2010-mommies.html

My EDD is Jan 15, 2010 :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

June 30th am also going for my syndrome test. It is good here to know if there are any defects with growing baby. We will be scared till we get results. I understand. Nothing wrong will happen.:)

4. swapnahere

swapnahere New IL'ite

Friends, please share your knowledge on down syndrome

Friends,

My doctor suggested me to go for Amniocentesis. She said my blood test is positive for down syndrome. I am very scared of this test and also worried about baby's health as well. I don't have any family history from my side and my DH's side. My age is 27 right now. Can any one please guide me who already gone through this process? I really appreciate your responses.

Thank you,
    Swapna

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

6. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

Re: Friends, please share your knowledge on down syndrome

Hi Swapna,

Relax, most likely there is nothing wrong with the baby. The blood test is just a screening test. The value of "positive" doesn't mean that it is positive for down's syndrome. It is just that you are at elevated risk. They calculate the risk as a probability - like 1 in 100 or 1 in 200 chance that your baby has down's syndrome. Did the doctor give you this value? I think anything greater than 1 in 250 probability, then they advice to go for amnio.

Amnio is a procedure where they extract the amniotic fluid and test that fluid. This test I guess is more than 99% accurate. To extract it, they will insert a needle in the stomach area - the actual process will take less than 2 minutes. They will see the baby via ultrasound and insert the needle far away from your baby to extract the fluid. Because it is a intrusive procedure, there is a slight risk of miscarriage -- not to worry, mostly it occurs due to the wound not healing and fluid leaking in women who are more than 40. The amnio will be done at a high risk facility not by your regular ob/gyn...

There are a lot of false positives dear. So do not worry. Even if your risk was 1 in 100, it still means that 99% possibility that your baby is fine :) I know it is easy to say to relax but it is not possible to do so. Just be positive and keep faith in god... Good luck!!

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I agree with Vids ! :thumbsup

Swapna,

Though it is said there are slight chances of m/c on doing aminocentesis.. It doesnt mean, it will happen for sure. Dont we have tablets which has side effects.. when it is necessary ? DO we struggle with the disease just because we fear the side effects ? NO, isnt ? We have the tablets trusting that we will be cured.

Similarily, when the early risk assesment gives a number, it doesnt mean, the numbers are accurate. It is a range.

The procedure would be done by experts who take enough care. Afterall, they wouldnt do or want any harm to your baby isnt ? They are doing the test so that, they assure you everything is fine. So, trust them and go ahead. For all you know, when you get to know the result is negative, you will immensly thank the doctors who did the procedure. :)

Dont worry, keep you faith going. Everything will be fine.

Take care, Swapna !

8. Nitheka

Nitheka New IL'ite

Down syndrome screening is a blood test, it will be taken during the 13 th or 14 th week of pregnancy if they find a positive result ie the risk of the baby is higher then they will proceed further on by doing aminocentesis but the result is not 100% sure, only 95% .

Don't lose ur hope .

God will be always with u and will do only good things.Belive.....

Enjoy ur pregnancy....

cheers
    nitheka

9. swapnahere

swapnahere New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I am so much relaxed now. I hope everything goes fine. I will update here once I am done with the test. Please pray for me and my baby...

Thank you all.