1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Down memory lane(inspired by Sunkan!)

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 27, 2007.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    One of my favorites books is RK Narayan's "My life". Here he describes his childhood in Purasawalkam area. That area is familiar to me as a child; my father used to take me to th tank and showed me all the places that used to tamarind groves and mango groves where he and his friends stole fruits!
    I still read that book over and over relishing the moments of RK Narayan and recalling those of my dad's childhood! I also read the books Kamalamba sarithram and Padmanaban sarithram just to relive those times.
    My grandfather used to keep the Deepavali malars and those are only things I still have and relish! The pages are brown and brittle with age and I hope to keep them for a long time.
    Thank you Sir for sharing and taking me down the wonderful trip back!

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Your post brought me memories of good old days, when we used to wait to hear Binaca Geethmala and also hear Amin Sayani's voice. Those days used to hear the movie stories in Radio instead of going to the Theatre. Elders used to go for movies in the theatre but never used to take us because we were studying.

Those small fights we friends used to have and not talk to each other but stand in front of her house and call out. Everyday in the night grandmother used to tell us to have milk but we never used to like to have and now wait for someone to give us.

My grandmother is from North Parur and she used to tell stories about her native. That time I did not know that I am going to marry a person from North Parur only. For my sister's marriage she had prayed that she will make 1001 kozakattai to Lord Ganapathi praying that my sister's marriage should be successful without any problems. Before my marriage she expired because of Cancer. Told me dont worry you will get a good husband but you only have to pray I wont be there to pray for you and make kozakattais.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala
    If you are referring to Gangadeeswarar Temple tank, let me tell you that if you want to retain the magic that your dad created in your mind with all his description about the mango and tamarind trees, you should avoid visiting the place now. It is one of the most congested parts of Chennai. Incidentally, the famed land mark around there, Hotel Dasaprakash is being demolished to pave way for a great residential complex.

I have lived in Chennai since the time when the chief and cheap mode of travel in the city were the electric trams. Many buses used to run on coal! I hate the present Chennai. Madras was far superior where we could lead a quality life.
    Sri

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir Thank you much!
    I wrongly quoted RK Narayan's book. It is "My Days".
    If you are referring to Gangadeeswarar Temple tank, let me tell you that if you want to retain the magic that your dad created in your mind with all his description about the mango and tamarind trees, you should avoid visiting the place now. It is one of the most congested parts of Chennai.
    Yes Sir, I found that out about 7 years ago when I went there to see a relative. We would not know that a tank exists behind those bus stops and stores. I don't know if the tank exists at all. I used to go the Hanuman temple with my grandma that was across the corner Ganesha Temple..I saw it demolished before my own eyes..Very sad!
    Incidentally, the famed land mark around there, Hotel Dasaprakash is being demolished to pave way for a great residential complex.
    Oh I am so sad to hear that about Dasaprakash hotel. I loved their butter dosas and icecreams. We used to go the book store that was bordering it outside on Poondamallee high road.

I have lived in Chennai since the time when the chief and cheap mode of travel in the city were the electric trams. Many buses used to run on coal!
    My father's side is from Chennai..I believe my dad's grandfather was working for the Brits in Kurnool. So the family used to travel from Chennai to Kurnool via the forests and Pulicat (Tiger Woods :)). He used tell scary tales. I think my maternal grandfather was fromTriplicane.

I hate the present Chennai. I am sorry to hear that Sir. Madras was far superior where we could lead a quality life.

I think I should ask my Dad to start writing memoirs of his childhood so that my children and theirs can have some documentation of life in Madras

5. Cheeniya

That's a wonderful idea Kamala. Your father must do it with the conviction that such a memoir will strengthen the roots of the family. When I see people who do not know the names of their grandparents and their parents, I am appalled. I have constructed a Family Tree of mine going back up to the great great grand father. But I am finding it difficult to locate my own contemporaries! Have you read Alex Hailey's book 'Roots: the saga of an American family'? An exciting book indeed!
    Sri

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am substantially dull-headed person with no understanding of your secret communication on mathematical equations unlike many other intelligent IL members who have already responded to this thread with clear understanding of mathematical equations. I need examples for me to understand what you were trying to communicate. My intentions are not to get you into trouble with your spouse or other nice ladies who are members of this wonderful IL forum.

Are you talking about the following?

Responsibilities:

1) Take full responsibility for the general welfare of the family
    2) Accompany spouse for shopping with a smiling face
    3) When the children are mischievous, manage them and accept the words, "he or she is more like his/her dad" graciously
    4) Defend the family from any external attacks and also prevent the undesirable elements from entering the territory of the spouse whether it is in human form or otherwise
    5) Help every way possible, when the spouse invites people to the house for dinner

Privilege

1) Get the right to have your name as the leader of the family in the ration card

Viswa

7. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    On the lines of how I used to answer communications from my Head Office during my Bank days, let me attempt to answer you seriatim as under:
    1. General welfare of the family sounds too generic. I would like more specific information about areas of welfare before taking on full responsibility. I am quite adept at taking half responsibilities meaning I take credit for all good things.
    2. Like Jim Carrey , I have developed a fixed smile that goes with me always no matter if I am accompanying my wife on shopping or bargaining with the vegetable vendor or even consuming anything that looks like what the cat has brought in.
    3. Of course I'll accept the words graciously. Children are mischievous when they have nothing to do. I would certainly be happy that they have inherited my most adorable quality of doing nothing most of the time!
    4. It all depends on what you deem as 'external attacks'. I have already taught them how to run fast if there is an alien invasion which includes a street dog chasing us.
    5. I certainly help her by ensuring that nothing of the food that she cooks is wasted

When the enumerator comes and asks me if I am the head of the family and I say yes to it, it is invariably greeted with a derisive laughter from the kitchen and I respond to it with a tolerant smile!
    Sri

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I think you forgot to reply to my fb. Waiting anxiously for your reply.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    I do not know how I missed this FB of yours. I am sorry for the delayed reply.
    The Radio we had was a battery-operated one. It was not a transistor radio but a regular table model which was connected to a huge battery pack. We had this radio because there was no electricity in the colony where I lived. My dad was the twin of Aurang Zeb in his hatred for music. He had particular hatred for Binaca Geet Mala and he hated Amin Sayani more. So for the Wednesday Binaca Geet Mala, we would go to a neighbour's house.

What a sad story it was about your grandma. I am really amazed how coolly they were able to look at their impending end. I am happy that her prediction for you came true.
    Sri