doubt regarding project manager job

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sl28, Jan 14, 2012.

1. sl28

sl28 New IL'ite

hi all, i used to work as an engineer in india (non-software) for 2 yrs, then i got married & came to live in Us. I was on h4 visa, so i thought instead of wasting time i will do MS.. & I did in comp science. Now i am applying to jobs everywhere...

2 friends near my house (both working), gave me advice that i can apply for project manager position easily, now that i have masters degree.. i took 2 courses on project management while at school other than that i have no project management experience... do you think my friends are right? Can i apply to PM job w/o exp? (ofcourse i will specify all those projects i did, group trainings etc) Thanks.........

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

I guess the possibility of becoming a manager might be easy in India, but not here. Here they will look for some specific managerial or leadership experience for this role. I have heard that even for doing PMP, you might have to present a certain amount of managerial experience. Again, what I am telling is you based on what I see in the work environment here. But I would suggest, with your MS and technical background, you can try for technical lead position, gain some experience in managing a team through that role, and then try for PM position. Good luck with your job hunt. Let us see what other friends here have to say.

3. sl28

sl28 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply vidukarth....

I have scheduled to write CAPM next month... (I meet all their requisites for CAPM) I was thinking if I dont get a PM job anywhere right now, I will clear CAPM & try again.. what do you think? Please advise..