1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Donation spree

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka, Feb 5, 2008.

1. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

We have developed a very bad hait of living at somebody elses expense.
    A while ago few children rang the bell asking for donation. The educational institutions speak volumes and volumes on VALUES, and how good parenting is vital. Then the very same people force our children to go door to door to raise money.

Come afternoons, small children come with some raffles. I don't understand this begging culture. Unfortunately these students get the brunt. They are being scolded by us because it is a chain. When one institution completes its fund raising the other one is ready. At times they go parallel.

Do you all exprience the same in other places? Disgusting.
    Just to save our child being humiliated sometimes parents pay the entire amount. Then what about other children who are on their spree to collect money. Believe me an institution send its students to the market in groups! I did show my unhappiness although i don,t have any school going children at home. Have you such experienced such things. kanakbonkbonkbonk

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka,

Well observed and written.Same happened when my kids were in school.They would go to the neighbours to collect, and they neighbours kids would come to us.This money went into thepockets of the teachers who had the stalls at the school fete.Yes making our children beg, so the teachers can make some money ?Sad state of affiars.I used to mostly buy off all the tickets,something like 200 bucks or so.

Regards.kamal

3. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear kamalji,
    i was glad to know atleast one person is sensitive to such social menace.Apathyonsuch issues indicates the loss of societal values-to stand up and say no to certain things, or atleast reflect and express the truth. My point is not that i have been ignored. Hope our members will not be annoyed. I prefer to speak my mind rather than be diplomatic.

Responses for certain occasions are so much that to a responsible person it looks like there is nothing beyond that in our life.
    I admit some of our memebers are quite young. Must have started life may be few years ago. Yet, these are matters which would affect everyone of us at a certain point of time. 'samaj ko badal dalo' is not what I say. If some of us oppose such nefarious activities we would be blessed by families who become a victim.

Donations in any form including dowry has made many families miserable.
    Iam not against anybody wishing anyone 'A happy birthday or so. But suppose if this is the only agenda for a social website then it will end as a sad note to a society to which we have some moral and ethical duty.
    Iam sure many members may stop reading my posts in future, but then i have the satisfaction of saying 'No' to something which I feel incorrect.
    I have been obsreving that for many posts the response is 0. People do expect some kind of feedback,. evaluation for their contribution.. I don't mean complements.
    Two days back I got a critical comment. I enjoyed reading that and sent an immediate reply to the person appreciating her comments.

kamalji, thanks for ur FB. Hope the girl in your story really proves her worth and makes her parents happy.:coffee. kanaka

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear kanaka,
    this is the modern day menace and there are certain changes, however much we voice will come up with, when are your children going to learn how to contribute to society if your stop it here, and you are stumped with this, for the buildings and extension of labs, bishop cotton is very famous for that and a very expansive lab has been built and the student have been made to feel that it was their effort alone and the principal saw to it that it was done in time

i join you here kanaka

all posts sometime go without a comment and we pointed out to, in fact i have stopped posting blogs here for the same reason, even my LAMENT OF A BLOGGER was posted but was told that the blog was not up to the mark for comments, if there are good posts then there would be comments, here i don't agree as the same posts can fetch me a focus read elsewhere and ladies must wake up to this issue, we have lost plenty of writers and poets because there has not been much feed back or encouragement here, it is a commitment on you people's part to appreciate what you read or information given, not to read like a newspaper and go away, so don't read these articles like a magazine and please do not stop with
    so sweet or nice write up i am sure you people will have same episodes you can share here, and feedbacks or criticizing energizes the writer, that does not mean u need to go outright to say your blog was not worth a comment. i am sure many here understand wha ti am putting across here. many new members are joining that does not mean you need to lose the old contributors who have done a lot here..sunkan

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008