Doha Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please click "Post Reply" button below to introduce yourself. Please be as detailed as possible. Some of the things that you might include in your introductions are:
    • Information about your family - parents, husband, children etc.
    • Where are you from and where do you currently live
    • Your education, job etc.
    • Your upbringing and your life so far
    • Your hobbies and interests
    • Your likes and dislikes
    • What you like about Indusladies community
    Please see below for some sample introductions.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1935&postcount=21
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3134&postcount=34

Happy sharing!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006

2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

About Doha

Dear IndusLadies,

This sub-forum is a great inititative to identify IL members nearby our location. I take great pleasure to introduce myself, one more time in this forum.

To know about me in general, you can read about my introduction in Who am I thread. The link is given below :

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22051&postcount=149

Though I am basically from Chennai, I choose to write in the Doha Subforum thread, as I am currently living here for the past 2 years and I am curious to know about anyone in the IL, living closer to my area...As such, am happy that IL has given me global friends, now I am looking out for some local acquaintances. This forum would be an attempt to find one.

I didn't want to reiterate about my self, having already mentioned about me in a seperate thread in this website, instead felt, it would be more appropriate to let you all know about the country am living in. Instead of merely saying, I am living in Doha, if I can share some of the highlights about this country, everyone can get to know what sort of a country this is. It's an attempt to spread word about the culture and life-style of the country which is giving me a livelihood.

Now for few titbits about Doha, in general.......
    • Doha, is the Capital of Qatar, which is situated in the Mid-East. Some of Qatar's neighbouring countries are Dubai, Oman, Bahrain etc...
    • Doha does not have the lifestyle of Dubai, basically its a very calm country and doha does not offer much of sight-seeing. The major attractions in Doha are the Sand-dunes, zoo and couple of major malls and hypermarkets (like City Centre, Lulu, Family Food Centre etc). Any new comers to doha, can easily tour the city in about a day's time. If you're a person found of tourist spot, Qatar is not the right destination.
    • There are no temples in Doha. Only Mosques. I believe the Qatar Government has sanctioned construction of churches and they would be erected soon. However different communities have their groups, which periodically host religious activities (for both hindu's and christians) within closed doors, which anyone can attend.
    • Very recently Doha started its Public Transportation Service. Earlier commutation was a biggest problem for labourers and workers as taxi's were beyone their affordability. Doha has both public and private taxi's. But frequency of taxi are not so high. At times, One has to wait for about 2 hours to get a taxi. (I have had that bitter experience couple of times).
    • Qatar Summer is unbearable, The temperature would go as high as 52 'C. Travelling becomes extremely difficult during summer afternoon, even in the evening, upto 7 or 7:30, you will feel the heat. Winter in Qatar would go as low as 8 degrees. Qatar has extreme climatic coniditions.
    • Land Cruisers, Nissan, Honda are the mostly found vehicles on the road and in the market. Almost everyday you will see freak accidents on the roads. Majorly Land Cruisers are involved in most of the accidents. One can see lots or rash drivers in Qatar.
    • In the last 1-2 years, the house rents have sky-rocketed, due to the major hike in the rents, many expats have sent their families back to their hometown or go for sharing accomidation to withstand the finanicial pressure. It's unbelieveable to see the inflation of house rents. Almost 3-4 years back, many houses were unoccupied and given for rent at very cheap rates.
    • The expats in Qatar have outnumbered the localities in Qatar. Major of the Expats are from Asian Countries - From India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Nepal; UK; Jordan ; Philipines;Egypt etc.
    • The average pay of a person in Qatar would be ranging from 3500QR to 4000QR (Qatar Currency is called Riyals). 1 Qatar Riyal amounts to 12.99 Indian Rupees (As of 30-Oct).
    • There are lots of reputed Indian Schools for children. For College education,Indian families don't prefer Qatar. Most of the Indian families send their children back to their hometown for college studies.
    • Qatar's revenue comes mostly from the Oil/Gas Industry. There is plentiful availability of Natural Gas in and around Qatar. It is predicted that for the next 500 years, qatar will have surpluous amount of natural gas. Lots of projects (Infrastructure) are in the pipeline and in the span of 10 years Qatar will have the look of Dubai interms of its living and infrastructure.
    • Asian Games 2006 is being hosted in Qatar this December, the Country is getting ready to host the Asian games. The existing roads are broadened, new bridges and flyovers constructed, many housing complex built in order to accomidate the crowd which we are expecting to flow from different parts of the world into Qatar.
    • There is only one big road called the "Corniche" in qatar where you can be huge skyline towers and buildings. On all other roads, the building infrastructures are similiar to the houses and apartments seen in India. You don't find huge and tall builidings elsewhere in Doha, other than the Corniche.
    • Friday and Saturday are Weekend here. The Weekday starts on Sunday and ends by Thursday.
    • During the holy month of Ramadan, the entire country works only upto 6 hours. On other months, the working hours vary from 8 to 10 hours.
    • The Local Newspaper called "Gulf Times" is not available on Friday, as its holiday for its employees and the publications.
    • Women are allowed to Self-drive, without any male accomplice in their Car.
    • Most of the Qatari females are dressed in their traditional burkhas, however, doha is a country of balance mix of tradition and modern culture. The local females are also seen dressed in western outfits like trousers and shirts and pants etc. Ladies are allowed to drive cars on their own too.
    To sum up, Doha is a place enjoyable for those who can enjoy silence and serene atmosphere. Personally, I am enjoying my stay in Doha. Though it doesn't have the lush looks of other western countries or its neighbouring country like Dubai, Doha has its unique lifestyle and which is definitely enjoyable if it's not compared to any other countries.

Afterall, Home is where the heart is, with my home filled with love and happiness in qatar, I cannot find any reasons to dislike my own home and the country, that has given us this sort of a living....

A day or 2 short trip is worth to have a feel of Doha and enjoy its ambience.

For those planning a vacation in December, you can consider Qatar in your agenda, as it has more to offer during the Asian Games !

Love,
    Preethi

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
    4 people like this.
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear young Preethi !

Your write up about Doha is sooooooo nice !
    Don't be shocked, if I land up there one day - it will be to see "priyamaana Preethi" than Doha !
    Wlth your word power you have "magically " converted Doha into an interesting place !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra

1 person likes this.
  4. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

It's an honour...

Dear Chitra,

I cannot have a bigger honour in my life, than your visit to doha to see me !

Looking forward to that wonderful event to happen in my life soon...

Good things should happen fast, so expecting your Darshan in person toooooooo soon, think of a trip here during Asian Games..as I said, Qatar has more to offer during the games..Come and experience the feel ! :-D

Love,
    Preethi

5. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Preethi,
    Have got the real picture of Qatar, through your words! No need to read any more..!
    What a wonderful write-up Preethi, keep it up!

1 person likes this.
  6. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Thank You, Safa !

Dear Safa,

Thanks for the quick reply, you are actually closer to my place, so you can think of a trip to Doha to come and see how it looks in person ! Trust me, a trip over here would be a good break for you...

Also, you have a friend in Qatar, to entertain you ! :-D

Love,
    Preethi

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Full of information Preethi

Dear Preethi,
    You have given a clear picture and have categorized it so well. We have always wanted to visit mid-east on our way to India. Now with your description will definitely do so.

Love,

8. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Make a Visit..

Dear Anjana,

Sure, a trip to Mid-East enroute to India is not a bad idea at all, Now that you have a clear idea about what Qatar offers you can very well plan your agenda if you intend stopping over at Qatar for a day or two...! As far as the place of stay, you have our home...Would be happy to have you as my guest through'out your stay here :) !

Love,
    Preethi

9. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

nice post

Dear Preethi,

that was a beautiful write-up on Doha.
    It sounds interesting & when we plan to visit Dubai, I'm definitely visitng your place tooo. your post gave an opportunity to know another place in the mid-east.
    thank you, dear. Now, I shall sincerely go to the link and read about you.

Love & regards,

10. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

You're Welcome

Dear Meena,

That was a cute reply ! By all means, you're welcome to Doha. Dubai is just about an hour flight from Doha, when you come to Mid-East, touch base more than one country and go. Except dubai, I think all other places like Qatar, Oman, Bahrain can be seen (atleast the major tourist spots) in matter of a day or two. If you plan properly and prepare your agenda well, in a span of a week's time, you can easily see 2-3 countries in the Mid-East !

It goes without saying, when you land in Doha, I will be your host ! :)

Love,
    Preethi