1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dog in the manger! (Inspired by slgayathri!)

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    there is a Ponniya couple, whom I know. He gets up at 5, stretches, takes coffee and then goes for a walk and some exercise in the park. Comes back, has tea with biscuit (do not ask what type or how many), relaxes with a newspaper. Then takes a bath, pooja etc., then breakfast and then....... go to sleep. 1 1/2 hr duration. Then get up, pick a container of fried items and go on munching. Lunch and again siesta till evening. Then coffee, snacks (bajji , bonda etc.), tv. Then dinner and then to sleep. He will not take idli milagai podi because he has to add gingelly oil to it (choelestrol - but can munch fried items the whole day). Always sambhar, no coconut chutney. If at all he were to eat potato when he is not in the mood for eating it, he will complain of chest pain or uneasiness and drive every one crazy. Then he will advice people who take food normally in time (only food and not snacks or fried items) to avoid junk food and exercise. He will also scorn people who get up late and work the whole day without rest, saying that they are wasting their precious time.
    She will always exclain loudly when some one puts more than 2 spoons of cooked rice on her plate... 'Ooh, didn't you know? I need only a spoonful of rice. I cannot eat more than that blah blah.....'. But she would be popping whatever she can put her fingers on- raw aval, biscuit, milk, curd, buttermilk, nuts and dry fruits, fruits, shapeless dosa chappathi etc., (this itself amount to 4). But she will never admit to eating a sqaure meal her whole life. Just imagine what life would be?
    Incidently, they are my sister and bil.
    We all are terrified to visit them and also of their visit. He is coming over next week, oh God save me!

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varloo
    All of us have someone like that in our midst. It is not what they eat or do that bothers us but their forcing their views on us. Moreso, when they do what they want but wont allow us any freedom!
    When I go to a wedding dinner, I always look for a seat next to someone who looks 'hungry' and not the flashy ones who eat their food with the tips of fingers and keep refusing everything that is served!
    I hate the contemptuous glance of such people when I ask for a second helping of the payasam. What good is eating unless the payasam flows out of the hand while we consume it from the leaf! ( The younger generation will never know the joy of drinking payasam that way!)
    Sri

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

There again Sri Sir
    This brought a broad smile on my face! I agree with Mrs. C that these folks shoul dbe termed as kill-joy!
    I have gone through this experience once in a dinner get-together! When I pick a deep-fried stuff the lady next to me immediately commented "oh that is deep-fried! it has so many calroies..do you really like deep fried stuff?" and she adds insult to injury by running a quick glance up and down me getting her answer for her question too!
    That said I am glad there are such folks out there! They certainly make our lives colorful!

4. Cheeniya

Dear Kamala
    I often mention this quote from my all time favourite Mark Twain whenever I write about eating: "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside' I find that there is too much obsession about eating habits these days. Big departmental stores exploit this tendency to fill their coffers. No one bothers about the contents when they buy something but go by what is said on the carton. Even bottled waters talk about 'Zero caloric'! I honestly think that we are taking this too far.

I strongly believe in 'que sera sera' and that applies to what I eat too!
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

"Ponnaiya is as sweet a guy as guys can be made." Is there a limit as to how sweet a guy could be made? I know someone who is so sweet writing so many posts in IL. Ponnaiya plays a role of family physician without being in a payroll of individuals who are ready to indulge. I look at him as echo of the conscience of people who are ready to indulge as his words means nothing unless it gets deep inside. We won't have a post unless his words had an impact deep down in you. I am a believer, it is not the words told by others impacts us but how our mind reacts to it. I see your post having two sides one telling how much Ponnaiya's words impact those who indulge in while the other accepting him as a nice guy playing the right role.

I accept if characters like Ponnaiya is 50% of the population, there won't be any fast food or bars in business around us today. Luckily, those characters are rarity and we can still survive with our taste buds in full action when we find the right opportunity. Personally, I find it hard to be on the sides of Ponnaiya or those who indulge in regularly. I feel I might be leaning towards indulging moderately. After all taste buds are created for a reason as much as human beings are created for a reason. I am on your side in stating that while I indulge, let me have a sense of fulfillment.

Viswa

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    A couple of decades back, indulgence meant to me what a majority of people perceive it to be. In the evening of my life, as my shadow is lengthening against the setting sun, indulgence means less materialistic to me. But I do indulge not in good food, expensive dresses or exotic vacations. My daughter has been pleading with me for the last couple of weeks to trim my beard but I have no interest. It is not my intention to ape Bernard Shaw but I have just decided to be myself.

I just want to indulge people. Be with them and just be happy.
    Sri