1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dog in the manger! (Inspired by slgayathri!)

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear slg
    I am happy you are happy!
    I am sure that you will jump into my forum regularly and offer sparks as you have done on your first visit! Remember I dont want to run out of ideas and so will be looking to ILites for inspiration!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Bhargavi
    Right you are in comparing Ponniya with Ambi!
    Do you really think that they are psychologically challenged? Coming to think of it, you are perhaps right! Must watch Ponniaya a little more closely next time!
    Sri

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Please don't think that I am stalking you around IL with multiple FB, I must leave that to others.I need to sit for 30 minutes after lunch (unda mayakkam, thondanukkum undu), so am using that window to interact with you. Malice free convos are always welcome.

Thinking hard and long, I like Ponnaiya. He practices what he preaches. He obviously stops with his words, since even his wife and clan do not follow his advice. And he seems to have the interests and perpetuation of man and mankind at heart.

So what makes him irritable? I guess just ourselves, our indulgent selves. We all know what is right and wrong. It is just that most times, we consciously choose to do wrong, knowing it will hurt us. When I am reaching for my third GnT of the evening with a side of fried mozzarella, I know that I am hastening my obituary. What irritates me, is not the likes of Ponnaiya reminding me of it, but my inability and strength to practice it.

Just playing the devil's advocate here.

regards
    Vidya
    (Side-eats, that is an effective word! Will add it to my collection of finger food, nibbles, hors d'ouvers, small chops, kadi, munchies--.You know now, I collect not just calories but also terminiology:wave )

4. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I wonder if you are in unda mayakkam or in a state of great analytical trance!
    If I am ever in Unda mayakkam, all you will hear from me will be a gentle unobtrusive snore and not pearls of wisdom!
    I am sure Bhargavi will be happy to read your psycho-analysis of this case history. Splendid stuff I should say!
    Disraeli defined an agreeable person as one who would always agree with him!
    No doubt disagreement causes a lot of ill-humour and the vacuum I was mentioning about around Ponnaiya might not be on account of disagreement with his views but could only be because of resentment of people who felt exposed by his warnings!.
    And you are right on that point surely! If we are conciously doing something knowing fully well that it will be detrimental to us, we just cant stand someone else pointing it out to us!
    Hail, Vidya !
    Sri
    sri

5. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello sir,
    ponnaiya character seems to be int' & also iritating. my hubby's friend is another ponnaiya,:-D when ever i invite him for lunch,he'll ask me how much oil u used,per day how many fruits u have,like that:bangcomp:,while having food v feel like stop eating,that much advice,but 1 thing is he'll advice others,but not even a single word to his wife:tongue she'll cook the food & use it on the another day, they'll not have breakfast,very late lunch or dinner,there is a saying in tamil,ooranukku dhaan upadesam,unnakkum ennakkum illaidi,(this advices is only for others not for u & me)
    keep posting such a nice post:2thumbsup:

6. Cheeniya

Dear vivbass
    This ooranukku upadesam is not just in food matters but in almost all aspects covering human life. If there is a law that only those who follow their own advices can advise others, the word 'advice' will soon go out of dictionary!
    Sri

7. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I agree with vidya's thinking... people need to know to a certain limit as to what is good / bad for them. As much as this Ponnaiya character is annoying, he still holds at least a little bit of bitter truth in his words.

When you see people in the land of plenty you realize that many of their disorders stem from unhealthy eating practices. The appalling rate of increase in childhood obesity & need to explicitly advertise to watch what kids eat & to get more exercise is just the bitter evidence to the reality. It’s a matter of whether one consciously makes an effort to have a healthy lifestyle or not. But just saying that doesn’t mean that we should be obsessed to the extent of being anorexic. It’s all in knowing your limits & being responsible.

Healthy living is just not adding years to your life by abstaining from all the “good stuff”… it is a responsibility of every individual to themselves & their families too. I see some of our acquaintances having unhealthy lifestyles… given their genetic makeup & their life choice they are unfortunately going to be crippled by a major disorder. This will not only impair their own life but also puts their immediate family through a lot of crisis. The way I see it is that if you really love & think about your family/dependents, you’ll think twice before you make your choices. I’m sorry that I veered your light-hearted post to such a heavy one…

8. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    You dont have to be sorry. There is always another side to everything!
    If a subject is too heavy to handle we joke about it and shrug it off but no one can deny the existence of something profoud, something affecting beneath the thin veneer of all the fun and frolic.
    I am glad you have taken this seriously and shared your views. I'll be happy if your thread is followed up as seriously and something good comes out of it.
    Thanks Lavanya. You have brought out some home truths with telling effect!
    Sri

9. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Sir
    I admit i m a big fan of yours.All your writings are simply superb.The first thing i do after logging in to the IL site is search for your posts.Do you mind giving tutions in writing skills :goodidea:?Or i suggest start giving tips for the same here at IL for people like me.I love to write articles but have a starting problem.I am stuck at the very begining(topic).:-D Your posts are so Apt and full of humor.How can you think so brillaintly?
    great work sir.I admire you
    keep up the good work
    Priti

10. Cheeniya

Dear Pritirach
    I really feel overwhelmed by this lavish praise of yours.
    I have been an ardent fan and reader of PG Wodehouse all my life and maybe his fabulous effect has rubbed off on me. But I can say this much. Any aspiring reader particularly keen on writing about light subjects should go after PGW as Ekalavya did behind Dronacharya!
    You would have noticed that I fumble when I deal with heavy subjects. Its again because PGW treats even heavy emotions with a touch of humour.
    I must tell you this. Nothing enthuses an aspiring writer more than the knowledge that he has a few to read what he writes.
    Most importantly is the ability to treat the bouquets and brickbats alike and the realisation that all fame is only transitory!
    May you become a writer of repute!
    Sri
    PS: Btw, talking of starting trouble, have you read my post "The unenviable Chroniclers"?