1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does this make sense ??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by hopefulforbest, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Besides what Srividya wrote.. Hope the both of you married to each other are adults !!

What are you doing with yourself ? how much of more mess will you
    ' allow ' to happen in your life ?
    I say allow, because had you known the meaning to live, you wouldnt have got into this mess.. It isnot about rights for DIL and nonsense.. It is all about individuality ! Where is that ? Regardless of whom you decide to give the money to and all, NO ONE in this world has the right to tell you to cut ties with YOUR PARENTS.. Period. Do you look for permission from people whom you met in later life ( including husband and inlaws ) to allow you to talk to your parents ? What weird nonsense is this ?

Infact, your parents too wouldnt have the right to tell whom you are allowed to talk to or not.. So, what is it with these new set of relations.. ?

Does he as well ? Does he understand that a spouse needs to treated with respect ? You dont have to seperate for such things, Girl ! You need to just know that you are an adult and keep space in any relationship !

You need to simply call office and close down the salary account directing to joint account.

I dont understand why you had to fight for a credit card when you are earning ? You have your papers that are needed to get one and what is the big showdown here ??

You need to say SHUT UP and LEAVE ME ALONE when it comes to
    " meetings " between inlaws / your parents and THE BOTH OF YOU !

You are married to this man and if there is a discussion then it is between the both of you. That is all. Else there is NONE.

Time to become bold and regrow your spine, Lady ! if you dont help yourself, no one can ! It is way too silly to sit there and say,
    " They are ruling my life and I am allowing them to walk all over me, now - How do I do more of it ?? "

Would you like any one asking advice for this ?

Ask them to Mind their own work ! You simply say, they are my parents and I dont need anyone in this world to tell me what I need to do with them.. I dont go about telling your son not to talk to you people, so if I did, then you talk too ! Till then, just GO AWAY !

The next time there is a meeting called for - BOYCOTT IT !!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Seriously Are u some LKG student where the teachers call upon your parents to complain about you ???????

Tell your dh to grow a pair and be man enough to discuss the problems with YOU and keep his parents out of it.

Just give an ultimatum to him and see what he decides. If he leans his parents side, please rethink this relationship..

3. hopefulforbest

hopefulforbest New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,
    thanks a lot for taking your time to read my post and offer your valuable suggestions. i will be more aggressive. i feel confident after reading your replies. i am not doing something wrong by talking to my parents. i will try to stand up for myself. the moment i answer back anything to them they start showing me as arrogant and that i dont care for them. most of these incidents take place when my hubby is not there. i cldnt tell him what was happening because we all live together. my inlaws are citizens. i don't have any ill feeling towards them but the way they act makes me go wry sometimes.they do all these actions and then before my hubby say its all for my good and all they are doing is just trying to educate me. but the situation is contrary on the inside.just feel lonely and desperate some days.even if parents call all these people will be surrounding me. ever since i started to work i call my parents from my office but feel like :hide: when my parents ask about my hubby.
    Thanks everyone. will get back to you with the happenings but i decided to
    fight for my survival here.

Livelife: Im sorry to know you are also sailing in the same boat but hope you can get to follow the advice given here and everything settles down for u. All my best wishes to you.

4. Menku

Menku Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Its sad that you are in that situation and I know it becomes very suffocating to live like this but you have to handle it.

Firstly - Set the ground rules of ur reltionship. Ask him if u both are equal in this relationship or does he think hes superior. If he says u both are equal then be firm, not aggressive and tell him that its ur decision to have a seperate a/c and its ur money. If he says he's superior and in the indian culture, man of the house makes the decision - then make it very clear to him that in the Indian culture DIL does not work and if she does it has never been the responsibilty of the women to run the house. Its the man who has always been the breadearner.

Chnage the account ur salary goes in and tell ur husband u have done it and from next month/fortnight the salary wont b coming in the same account. He doesnt need to authorise it, u just have to tell ur employer to do it. There will be a lot of DRAMA, FIGHTING,SHOUTING just doont get aggresive cos that will worsen the matter. Infact just get up and go out for a walk or read a book, sit on the laptop. Dont pay any heat to what ever ur hubby says. He will b very very upset and u will b able to see the aftereffects of it, but just deal with it. Tell him that its cos of his family's and his attitude u have taken that step.

Also if they insist for a meeting try to avoid it, but if they insist say that u will have a meeting ONLY when ur parents are around cos ur husbands parents are going to be a part of that meeting as well. This will postpone things and some matters will die out anyways.

Hope this helps!

5. Menku

Menku Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I forgot to mention that stop any communication that u have with ur INL'S. Only communicate with them when ur hubby is around. Let them say things and keep them asking questions, dont reply back. But instead when they complain to their husband about ur attitude say that u have been talking to them - cos u they are ur parents at the end of the day too. Put the ball back in ur hubby's ourt by saying - why would I do/behave like this with them ???

If you wont have any communications - for how long can they say things ! They willl evenually give up. I know its easier said than done, but that is what I did with mu inl's and trust me it wasn't easy.

Cheers !

6. hopefulforbest

THanks Menku for advice. in fact i stoppped to talk with my inlaws for a while but they called up my parents and started a fight with them. my parents were very confused as what happened but knowing the nature of my mil they could understand what was going on. so they tried to be without accounting for her. she posioned my Dh mind and made him to call up and start saying compliants on me. probably she thought unless he complains my parents wont consider. i got a call from my brother in middle of the night bcos they were very worried about me. there were absolutely no fights then between me and my hubby and you can imagine my surprise when they told me all this.
    when i confronted my DH all he said was sorry and kept quiet. they dont least bother about my parents health. my mothers health is fully affected now thiniking that im in an abusive marriage. i couldnt control myself. from then on i dont feel like talking to my in laws but we live in one house and its hard to avoid them.
    just wnat to give them back fully but my DH. i dont know whether he would support me.
    what is frustrating is.
    they have my salalry,
    they have all my jewels everything.
    the money i get from fields
    and bcos of job i stay away which means me and Dh get to spend only on week end. that too every wither week end. say 4 days a month
    still what do they want. y cant they be happy and let me be peacefull?
    y cant they understand me?

7. sophisticated

sophisticated New IL'ite

I was in a very simillar sitaution, My Il's kept saying my mom is poisioning my mind so it is best not to talk to her any more, and that they can call if they want only when my husband was around, i agreed to that to keep the peace but i became so frustrated and angry that i used to cry all the time and consant fights in the end i decided to call them and see what happens, now i call them whenever i want and dont care a damn what they say, its the hateful hings they say that makes us do things to the oher extreme.
    They wanted the person who helped arraange the marriage to go to my parents house and shout at my parents, they held a meeting and in the end the mediator gave my ILS's a good firing beause what they were saying was immaure and unreasonable.
    Similar to you all the jewellery was to be kept in their house when i had split it equally so i did not have to carry it around form place to place. They created a big tamasha by saying that all was taken on hire to be returned after a year to the jewellers, i did not say anything then then afterwards during my BIL Wedding i took it all and left it in my Parents house it was good because my IL's dont get along with the other DIL as well and have left town.
    You have to be strong if you have your husbands support it is good if not we are to do it ourselves.

Greed thats all it is.

8. Menku

Menku Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I had the same issue with my inlaws cos they have not been able to control me and run mu life their way. They used to call my parents and complain to them, at first my parents listened but then my dad said u keep saying that she is a bad DIL, I want to meet ur relatives and want to ask them when has my daughter been bad to them and wat wrong does she do. To this my MILreplied that she is nice with everyone except us and then my dad said then u have to analyse the situation and see why my daughter is nice to everyone around u and not U . They never went back to my parents after that. Tell ur parents to reply back to them or else they will keep bothering like this and ur parents will suffer at the end. By their or ur keeping quiet, is it helping the situation, not its NOT ! Let ur inlaws say wat they have to say, u b in constant touch with ur parents . If u cant call them, b in conatant touch on emails and dont tell ur hubby about it. This way when something happens ur parents will not be surprised, they will know wat iss happening and they can handlie it accordingly. Also if ur inlaws make it a habit to call ur parents all the time, tell ur parents to ignore their calls. Dont answer them for the time, and once u tell them tht it was a general call and then ur parents can call back. I guess u are in USA and ur prents are in India - UDD KE THODI INDIA PAHUNCH JAYENGE YA FONE SE BAHAR THODI AAA JAYEENGE !!! Let them do what they want to do.

For ur jewellery - If u tell ur inlaws that u want it they wont give u , try to take it by some or the other reason. Have u got a wedding to attend if yes then take it at that time and dont give it abck... keep it with u saying that u will want to wear it again on this ocassion, on diwali puja, on karvachauth and u dont want to bother ur MIL by asking all the time. If u are going to india, take it then..say u want it cos u have to attend few weddings and will wear it then. Have a seperate a/c where u can put all ur jewellery. U can do that in melb, I am sure u can do it in US as well.

Do ur inlaws stay with u in the same house ? And wat is stopping u from changing ur a/c that the salary goes into. If u are concerned that by doing this they will create a scene and ur parents will get affected - look at it this way by giving in as well they create issues and inform ur parents before hand that u will b having a seperate a/c soon so if they get any fone call from inlwas - just IGNORE IT !

Hoope this helps !

9. hopefulforbest

Hi,
    Im back again.For the past few months trying to resolve issues and get back to peace. it has been very tough. i tried to convey my hubby that whatever is happening is not good nd bcos of it i feel very insecure. i started to call my parents from office. with the help of friends i got calling minutes and somehow managed. i kept updating them with the details.i could not call from my cell bcos my hubby keeps tracking it all the time. after i told all my fears to hubby he started acting very nice to me. for last two months he was like hes trying to do everything to please me. get me a separate account, deposit some amount into tat every month, trying to share everything with me and such.
    on the back end my inlaws left to india. no info to me at all,. tey went in secret which i knew they wld do. i somehow found out from my niece who is 3ys old. i warned my parents to be cautious. during the last week they called my parents and asked them for my property documents. my father called me and asked my opinion. i told him please dont give to them and told everything happening here and my doubts.my inlaws taunted them saying unless they give otherwise we will send ur daughter back for which my father got very furious and backfired them.
    my parents took the issue to the elders there and everybody reacted and they went and talked to my inlaws. they clearly told them to give me back my sal, jewllery and my green card and passport.
    i just opened a new account and from this month my sal would be going into it. my inlaws promised to give everything back. they are back in us now but just remaining silent. not talking to me .
    not sure what their plans are. im thinking to proceed in the following way.please tell me if im correct.
    1. got a new account and start depositing my sal there which will be done from april salary onwards.
    2. if my husband calls and says that he will give everything back fine will open up a locker here and deposit if not thinking to complain(am i doing something wrong here)
    3. what if my hubby simply comes back and says since i insulted his parents in india he wants to go for divorce what r my options( dont say road is the end.please suggest what should i do?)
    4.i dont want to get separated but if hubby insists just to get me in his route im thinking to stand up for myself. what do i need to be careful about.
    5. i have one family friend who is willing to help me.
    i tried to bear up with all those insults just for peace of my parents and i love my dh tooo for some reason. but hes not understanding me and thinks im doing all this bcos im after green card and dont like to be with his parents but thats not the case.
    thanks for all your time and valuable suggestions. indusladies has been my major source of inspiration.
    please advice.

10. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Preethi already asked this and I keep having this question about lot of posters who say I love my husband but what to do if he insists on divorce:bonksooo do you have any option if he INSISTS??? Marriage needs 2 people. But divorce needs only 1. How come no one realises it???

In your marriage, all your husband/inlaws want is money, jewels etc if not they will sendthe DIL back (as if returning something they bought) so far things have been tackled well, but if he insists his parents were insulted and he wants separation from you because of that...tell me what else you can do! atleast be with peace that you separated your finances well ahead and keep all the jewels in the locker and have their possession in your custody so that you dont have to depend on anyone for living.

I am all for it to give away jewels, money everything to a husband who treats his wife as equal to him and understands how painful would it be if someone insults us. But if the same person whom we are going to depend on acts so nasty,immature,dumb and irresponsible, can we depend on such person anytime in our life??? can we have that peace of mind? and even if we force our relationship of so called marriage on such a guy, he would always try to figureout his ways to run away from responsibilities.

So instead of looking at saving the marriage, look at doing what is RIGHT. No one ever got into trouble by doing what is right!