Does the Gita teach us religion?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 3, 2007.

1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

A very nice article from you. Like other fellow ILites, I completely agree that you have a knack to explain abstract thoughts in simple terms.

I am re-reading this post( more than you might have re-written ) to grasp the thoughts presented. The more I read, I feel that you live by it -

'True religion is the science that provides us a new inward courage of conviction to live honestly and serve others.'

On the same sentence I have a question - do we really need to be courageous to live honestly and to serve others??? Do you think the soceity has always been obstructive of honesty and servitude???

I hope and pray that you are able to come up with more such 'nutritious'( LOL ) food for thought posts!!!

-Gayathri.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    Thankyou very much for the feedback.
    I agree, such topices have to be chewed & digested for understanding.

We need to be courageous because very often our intentions however good, are not always understood properly. We do tend to lose our morale and decide to give up. If your conscience says what you do is right, it needs courage to go through the endeavour, tirelessly & with hope, to serve others.
    There are people who do like to poke their nose & side-track you very often. We do also get lead away by them, if our inner conviction is not strong !

I pray God be with me in my further posts !
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Another interesting week with another in depth topic. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit and did grasp some bit.
    Gita reveals a secret process which brings forth an effective personality out of even a shattered man of despairs and disappointments.
    The above line sums it up for me. I think I am somewhat on the road to fine tuning myself which does help you to strike a balance in life. You have beautifully explained all the sublte nuances in Hinduism.I have done my part only if I change myself slowly.Will wait for next weeks post with great enthusiasm.
    Love,

4. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Yet another superb post on the subject of Bhagavad Gita. You are doing a wonderful job of conveying a sea of information in a nutshell and in a way comprehendable to a lay person!

5. Chitvish

Dear Radha,
    Thankyou for the F B, more for enjoying when the topic, as you say is indepth! It needs determination & by God's grace, you all, in my forum, have it !
    Fine tuning is a gradual procedure & the change has to come from within. So even if you are open to accepting that you will change your thinking, you must be happy. Remember, it takes janmas, but let ys make a beginning now !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Dear RadhaV,
    Thankyou for your crisp & meaningful F B.
    The subject is vast & abstract. Every time I am overcome by fear about my ability to write, I only think of my teacher who always tells me that I must take it up as a mission & do it & his blessings are there for me fully !
    So it is,
    Do your duty, that is best
    Leave unto the Lord the rest !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. qwert18

qwert18 New IL'ite

no, it teaches a way of life. it teaches spirituality.
    nice post. you may want to read what saints like gandhi have said about the gita <a href="http://www.gitananda.org/about-gita/index.php">http://www.gitananda.org/about-gita/index.php</a>

6 people like this.
  8. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

I really enjoyed and am re-reading all your Gita posts multiple times to get a grasp of your write-up. I thoroughly enjoyed the "Prashnotthar" session too, I think I mentioned it elsewhere also.

I love the way you described the difference between "Art of Living" and "Way of Life". What they call "Hinduism" is actually a term coined by the invaders to describe the followers of "Sanatana Dharma".

MeenaPrakash, I get equally enraged when foreigners attribute "Sati", "Snake Charmers" and other unfortunate practises to Hinduism, but forget the good things like "Yoga" and "Ayurveda" that is also part of Hinduism. But doesn't reading our ChitVish's posts make us calm and composed and take things in our stride? :yes:

Anyway, on a side note, the so called "Praise Moves" was not received very well :-D .

Love
    Vidya

9. Chitvish

Dear Vidya,
    Thankyou for not missing out on my post ! That only shows how committed you are, which is part of our routine to familiarise with vedanta in this forum.
    Recently, I read this in Swami Sukhabodananda's book

"We have to renounce our negativity, our shackles, our imprisonment, our addiction. And therefore the meaning of the word Hindu - most of the Hindus dop not know the meaning. The meaning is
    Heenam nashyahi ithi Hindu
    Heenam - what keeps you in bondage, in shackles, in fetters, in traps
    Heenam nashyathi- one's commitment to destroy that which keeps you in bondage - this is what makes a person a Hindu !"

What a deep, beautiful meaning !
    Love,
    Chithra.