1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Does taking Vitamin D2 50,000 units once a week cause any side effects?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by abc00, Feb 18, 2012.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Friends,

My doc has prescribed me Vitamin D2 50,000 units once a week for 3 months and then 1000 units to be continued per day, as my vitamin D are low. Also vitamin B12 1000 units for an year.

Im skeptical to start this fearing about side effects. Has anyone taken such high dosage (50,000 units) and will it be ok or cause any side effects? I googled and learnt it sometimes causes hives or breathing trouble. It really scares me.

I need some inputs before i start.

2. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

3. DST

DST Bronze IL'ite

I took the same dosage for around 3 months and I didn't had any troubles..my friend too takes that...Since Vitamin level is low,Dr. prescribed it..if you are really worried/scared ask your dr.

4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks DST for replying. Did you retest your vitamin levels after the dosage and any improvement in it? Your response will be appreciated.

5. DST

DST Bronze IL'ite

To be honest,I don't remember since its been years...yet to do a blood work for this yr..but sure you'll be fine..don't worry...don't get scared seeing the numbers in the dosage :))

6. mullai

mullai Senior IL'ite

HI , i have taken a dose of this vitamin D FOR ABOUT A YEAR (3 INJECTIONS IN ALL) THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS AND YOU FEEL BETTER OVERALL

7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I googled too much info abt this and was worried the whole day reading about side effects...as you said...the 50k units scared me!

8. DST

DST Bronze IL'ite

Health is wealth...don't worry..Internet has both atmost negative and positive information...Differs in every different one/situation,etc....cool down and take care of your health...

1 person likes this.
  9. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

What you said about internet is so true, DST. I will update about it and those in similar situation might benefit from it.

10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

i have a doubt what kind of vitamin D tablets you all take i mean which brand). just wondering if u get vitamin D in vegeterian base.