1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does Millet cause hypothyroid?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sandhya13, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I recently read something about millet and I wanted to check with you if any of you have ever heard/experienced this.

If you type 'Beware of Millet' in google, you will find an article that explains the details. Please let me know what you think about this.

I started taking ragi kanji for breakfast everyday and I am very much concerned about it. Is taking ragi kanji daily (prepared with 1/2 cup of ragi flour) good for health? How much ragi is too much?

I greatly appreciate if anyone can throw light on this subject.

Thanks!

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I read the article that you refer to, its such articles that one needs to be beware!

Continue eating your ragi :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rotate your millets. you can also alternate the ragi with jowar and bajra. or mix ragi with other few millet grains and make porridge. having ragi or many other foods are said to have goitrogens that these articles talk about. but well cooked they are not going to effect you. (and if you have doubts, just check with your doctor or a know nutritionist. most of the articles these days are not well researched..)

by rotation you can get rid of monotony, have loads of variation .

2 people like this.
  4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @butterflyice and @Shanvy for taking time to reply to my concern. As you suggested, I am planning to rotate between ragi, barley and quinoa for breakfast. It is much healthier than sticking to one grain. Lunch is always oats. I am desperately trying to lose weight and I hope this diet will help me as I have no time to exercise.