Does hypothyroidism have any effect on getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by umaramani, Feb 29, 2008.

1. meetumeetu

meetumeetu New IL'ite

Re: hypothyroidsm

Hey,

I started having dry skin , but i guess my levels were normal.But i remember my doctor saying that sometimes normal levels do bring all these symptoms.How much was your level, if u don mind.Have u started taking medications or somethings.

2. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vibhakar,
    I too have hypothyroidism,my tsh was 7.11 at one time.but with regular medicine it comes down, in one month it got normla for me,i am also TTC.
    I am taking Htyronorm 50 mg everyday in morning.

what is painful is we have to take this medicine for lifetime. :(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

Swatir,
    my levels are also 7. I am ttc but no success till now.
    I am having missed periods and feel very tired and no sex drive at all.
    Have you similar symptoms too?

4. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

I also had similar symptoms...but with gods blessing all is in control now.....you need to check your prolactin also because that also cause for missed periods and your symptoms....are you taking medicine for hypothyroidism regularly?

5. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

Ya, ia m taking medicine.
    Thats gud your hypothyroidsm is in control. Do you still take medicines?
    Also, are your periods regular after medication.
    Thanks

6. shreyanagaraj

shreyanagaraj New IL'ite

Hi,

Need Help..

I have been TTC since 5 yrs....Im taking Metformin since 2 months and last month Doctor prescribed me Levothyroxine saying i have small amount of thyroid problem.

I had regular periods every month varying from 27-30 days cycle. Last month(April) i had periods on 3rd and now after taking Levothyroxine medicine i got my periods on 24th may.

Does Levothyroxine delay periods?? Is it normal??

Can i get pregnant while im on Levothyroxine??

7. bhuvnabs

bhuvnabs Senior IL'ite

Hi all

Pls dont get me wrong, but it feels bit relaxed to see many ppl like me, me too ttc with 8 TSH n 2 unsuccessful IUIs.....taking 100mcg thyronorm n waiting for the best...

8. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

Hi please help,
    My dic put me on levithyroxin. He told i have thyroid of 5.23

I had that tablet initially but i observed i am gaining weight. Almost 4 pounds in 1month.
    Now i have stopped buti am not at all reducing .5 pound too. I am on diet, gym. But no use cut off sodas almost 9 months no pizza from 6 months.
    My height is 5. 3. Weight is 136 pounds.
    I am in ttcfrom 4 yrs husband having low sperm count.
    Please help me. What i can do? Is thus medication is correct ?
    Can i trust my dic? When i asked him i am gaining weight he told, its not possible it will reduce your weight but not happening. What to do

9. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    Hypothyroid does affect your chances to get pregnant but it's not the sole reason for not getting pregnant.one must constantly monitor ones levels and take the medications regularly. I am a hypothyroid patient by gods grace I am a mother of two kids. Just ensure your levels are ok . There have been cases where ones level has been high and still they concieved successfully and naturally. So don't think it can hinder your chances to concieve

10. Shanmukhabhavan

Shanmukhabhavan Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Dear Injustice, your doc is absolutely correct. I guess your difficulty in losing weight is not due to taking medicine because of absence of medication. Gaining or losing weight is one of the symptoms of thyroid disease. Please do not ignore your doc's word, please continue taking medication. I know what it is like since I am a victim of hypothyroidism as well. Thyroid is the one of the most important must have in our body. It effect whole body's function. You may not notice any side effects now, but you will in future. For your weight loss, perhaps try avoiding carbs, I see that you are from south india where people consume more rice which is high in carbs. So may be try reducing intake of rice (carbs) and include more protein, leafy vegetables, nuts, dry fruits. If you can eat try sprouts. Make sure you drink lots of water which also helps in weight reduction. If you get a chance and would like you may want to check the "Health, Diet and Fitness" forum here in IL. People there are awesome supporters. you will defintely lose weight with the help of their guidelines/advises.

Here goes the link for you... check it out.....

Keep Fit & Maintain Shape - IndusLadies
    [/JUSTIFY]