Does hypothyroidism have any effect on getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by umaramani, Feb 29, 2008.

1. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Re: Hypothrodism and trying to conceive..

Hi Mythu,

You r very welcome.Ofcourse, I am happy to help u with my answersComputer Typing.Dont hesitate to shoot your questions.I had been through this and i can very much understand your concern.

Yes,I was told by my doctor that i should take the medication lifelong.Its because only with that dose of medicine your Thyroid gland can secret enough hormones for maintaining bodily functions.It may take few months/visits for the Doctor to find out the correct dose that works for u and then after that u got to continue with the dose rest of your life with tests intermittently to find out your thyroid gland secretion based on which your dose would be adjusted.I had the irregular periods problem which got solved after taking the tablet the very first month and is very regular now.

Yes i did try for the baby from the first month of taking Thyronorm tablets.And i succeeded in my second month.And i wish to hear it from u too.Have faith in God and i hope everything would turn out well for you..

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. swanu

swanu New IL'ite

hi mythu

i have hypothyroidism since 12 years and i conceived and delivered a very healthy and active baby.
    ofcourse u can canceive while having the tablets.

thats absolutely no problem.

regards

anu

3. Mythu

Mythu New IL'ite

Hi Selvi and Swanu,

I can't express how much i am happy after seeing your replies. Drowning.I started taking tablets from yestreaday. Hope my periods becomes regular and i will be conceived soon. Thanks a lot in taking effort to reply my questions.

Lastly, i want to ask you is there is any side effects of thyronorm tablets?

Thanks,
    Mythri

4. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Mythu,

You are very :welcome. Happy to note that u started with your tablets.Never miss a dose and i wish to hear a happy news from u soon.

Regarding the side effects, from my Six years of observation, i feel like there is a little bit of hair loss(not much though),very sensitive to even little cold and dry skin.But i think these side effects r not much alarming and we can handle them very well in course of time.This is from my experience but i am not very sure if this is anyway related to my condition.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. Mythu

Mythu New IL'ite

Thank You very much selvi for the info Bow

6. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi Mythu,

You are very welcome.Hope you will keep us updated about your improvement.I would be very happy for u.

7. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Thyroid and fertility issues

Hi

I have received my blood work reports and it says my TSH levels are high(14.5)...the doctor has now asked me to start with the meds for that...though we are not TTC now, I thought I would ask you people if anyone had thyroid problems and whether this would create issues with conceiving?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  8. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Re: Thyroid and fertility issues

Yes ,that would be an issue when you try to conceive.As per your doctor,try taking the meds to reach a normal level.

My TSH was around 8 and I had irregular periods.As soon as my gynaec found out that my thyroid was high she put me on meds and i conceived immeadiately after that.

So even if you are not trying now,it will reach the normal level once you start trying and moreover some doctors recommend that TSH be between 1-2 to sustain a normal and healthy pregnancy

Good luck.

9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi Manju,

So did u have to stay on any kind of diet and also were u taking the meds even after conception? I wanted to know if this would affect the baby...my mom was telling me that she read somewhere that ppl having thyroid problem shud not be taking cabbage...is that true?
    As for the symptoms, I have been having irregular periods for the last 3 cycles and I hv bcum v.absent minded. I hv also put on too much weight in the recent past which is v.abnormal...I guess all these attributes to the same issue...

10. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

My doctor put me on Levothyroxine (50 mcg and later increased to 75 mcg) during preganancy.I was not on any diet as I conceived within 2 months of medication.

Probably any IL's might be able to help you with that question or your doctor might be a better judge for that.I generally don't like cabbage,so i try to stay away from that and i take once in a while.

The medication is completely safe during pregnancy and sometimes the doctors increase the dosage during the pregnancy as the TSH is bound to rise.So it wont' harm the baby.

This is not to scare you but you will get an idea.

How to Recognize Thyroid-Related Infertility
    http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/fertilitythy.htm

So try taking that medication and your periods will soon regularise.

Are you going to an Endocrinologist or your Gynaec?