1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Does California learner's permit serve as a photo id?

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by SG20, Dec 23, 2009.

1. SG20

SG20 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I have just come to California on H4 visa and I need a valid photo ID as soon as possible.
    I plan to apply for a Driver's license but it might take some time. Does California learner's permit have a photo on it? And can it be used as a valid photo ID till I don't get the Driver's license. Or do I need to apply for a DMV Identification card?

Also, after how much time can I apply for the permanent driver's license, after getting the Learner's permit?

Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009

2. jasmineofnan

jasmineofnan New IL'ite

Hi welcome ,
    Apply identification card id from ur dmv , & also try to apply for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN ,
    google about TIN , and apply .

have a nice day
    mahi

3. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Hey SG20,
    Your Learners Permit or your Temporary License do not serve as Photo ID's since they are papered documents. You can apply for the California State ID using the DL44 form. This requires a payment of $24/$28 in cash or by debit card. And it usually arrives within 2 weeks.
    You could also apply for your ITIN. But that's just a tax ID equivalent to the SSN.
    If you need a photo ID soon, your best bet would be the State ID at the DMV.

4. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

I guess CA Id processing takes around 2 months. In my case it took around 2 months, and the website also says so. The temporary license will not serve as a photo id; you can appear for the behind the wheel driving test as and when you make an appointment. There is no waiting period, but there might not be immediate slots available for the test. Check the DMV site; you might get a better idea.

5. SG20

SG20 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I checked with DMV as well, and as you said, learner's permit cannot be used as a photo ID. Either the Driver's license or the State Identification card can be a valid form of photo identification.
    Since I don't know driving and will take some time to learn, I have applied for both. :)

Thanks!!

6. marydell

marydell New IL'ite

Hi,

did get ur state id.If yes within how many days it came.

thanks