Does Anyone Have Experience With Open Heart Surgery Or Tavr

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Mar 26, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Uncle has severe aortic stenosis. 10 yrs ago, Dr used to do open heart surgery. Now they are doing TAVR, which puts a replacement valve through an opening of one's leg into the aorta.

But is is not as pretty as it looks

Sure, you can go to TOP TOP TOP hospital in your area, but no one tells you about complications afterwards

- chance for Stroke (but you wanted to PREVENT stroke, hence you got TAVR)
    - need for a pacemaker - more surgery means more chance of complications

When we asked Cardiologist is there a way to manage aortic stenosis, Dr said no, do TAVR, I will set you up.

Doctors like to do surgery, don't they?

Please please please share your experience. When I asked on American message boards, I get BS information about patient hearing the Doctor going in the wrong vein, and the apprentice correcting him.

There is lot of BS in more forums than others.

I am really upset. I feel we are not getting the complete picture, just being pushed for surgery.

Patients have to live with the consequences of hospitals and Doctors

2. gopalan1937

gopalan1937 Silver IL'ite

Madam
    You are asking whether any one has experience with valve replacement open or closed. Open valve replacement was done in olden days. So many developments had led to current TAVR, Every sugery major or minor can have complications. Every patient is different it is better to have a improved life instead of suffering from Constrained life with stenoses aortic valve. I had open heart surgery fifteen years back I accepted the risks involved and undergone surgery . No regrets. Please listen to cardiac surgeons and have faith in Almighty, if you are a believer in God. Your uncle is the sufferer. Ask him if he wants improved life span. Leave the decision to him. Trust he will decide soon for more active life wishing good recovery soon for your uncle.Regards
    Gopalan

SuiDhaaga and Gauri03 like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

My Uncle has so many other health issues that he has lost the will to live.

He want to go to those Doctors for those ailments that are troubling him.

When someone mentions Cardiologist he gets irritated and cries that he is in pain and wants to see other Doctors to resolve those issues first.

This is quite upsetting.

Minor surgeries have risks. I believe if my Uncle fully understand what is involved, what are the risks, etc, he will go through the procedure and leave rest to the Almighty.

4. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Hi, my father underwent the TAVR procedure in 2019 at Apollo hospitals, Chennai. He was 89 years old then and now he is 91. All of us in our family had great deal of discussions. We also had a zoom meeting with the doctor who was kind enough to allot time and clarified all our doubts. Till date, my father has not had any side effects and he is doing good. Of course it differs from person to person.
    My view is that you can go in for it. For any further clarifications, please text me.
    Regards,
    Maalti

SuiDhaaga and Gauri03 like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

I am happy the surgery went well. There are so many things to consider.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. I just sent you couple of questions.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  6. SuiDhaaga

Can you tell me what procedures you did before open heart surgery?

What type of valve do you have, is it mechanical or from tissue?

Also, are you are life-long medications due to this procedures.

So many questions are zipping through my mind

if you can advise I will greatly appreciate.

7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Hi, my father had developed breathing problem. Hence it was decided to do the TAVR. He had other issues like high BP, high creatine level etc. Had we not gone for this, his life would have been in danger. And sorry it was not in 2019 but 2020 when COVID was at its peak. He was in the hospital only for three days and he was discharged immediately after that. I don't know what kind of valve was fitted. He was not given any anaesthesia. He was given Lidacaine which numbs the thigh area. He was on medication for about one year and now he is taking BP tablets.
    He started walking slowly after fifteen days.
    Of course, doing TAVR may not give a ten year stint. On the contrary, there is every chance of other problems. Generally TAVR is performed on old persons who are not strong enough to undergo open heart surgery. I have given you the link where you can find more information.
    https://chennai.apollohospitals.com...s/tavr-transcatheter-aortic-valve-replacement
    Take care and regards

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  8. SuiDhaaga

OMG, when COVID was in full force!

It seems my Uncle has breathing problem. Before when he would grunt and exert himself to do simple things, I thought it was due to his other pains. But now I remember my late Grandmother had this type of breathing problem when she visited us in USA. Few years later (she was also in Chennai), she died suddenly and no one understood why.

Could it be she also has severe aortic stenosis but no one detected it. And this was in early 2000.

Thank you for the link