1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does any one know about what are symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder OCD

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Lakshmipav, Oct 30, 2015.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

She just sounds like a highly independent toddler who doesn't want anyone interfering with her scheme. It is not OCD.

My 4 year old always got annoyed in anyone tried to do things for her. Just to morose a point, she would redo something the other person has just done - put the colours back in the box and take it out herself; start counting all the way back from 1 if someone prompted her that it's 60 after 59 while she is still thinking; etc.

Your child likes a challenge. What you could do is apologise and state you will back off when you see her indicating that she looks at your help as interference. That will help with her confidence. This is nothing to worry about. Just give her the space she needs.

By the way her tantrums and picky eating might be her way of showing her frustration in not being given enough space. You might want to look it up so that you and her dad can parent effectively givig due respect to her in dependent streak.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@guesshoo Thank you for ur reply and advice .. Yeah am not interfering if she wants to do it herself just observing that she won't get hurt ..am giving independence to learn n do .

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

OCD is hard to classify for such a young kid.
    Actually, if everyday an adult (just a random example) has to login to IL and read and post replies compulsively, or to facebook compulsively, then is that considered obsessive too? Possibly. There is a lot of OCD and there can be underlying root causes.

In your child's case, it is not too much of a worry, though can be discussed with a doc to be safe.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What your husband observed, said, and your reaction and worries - all are pretty normal for parents.
    Would these be an issue if she was going to a preschool? Meaning, the level of naughty, level of pickyness in eating, and how strong and frequent are the tantrums, and what are they over?

That is actually how a thing that needs attention gets notice. A parent or teacher or another close family/professional adult notices something, and mentions it. Husband handled it well - said he suspects, not to worry, and will consult the ped.

One thing I've learnt is that avoiding or too much postponing consulting teacher or professional about anything doesn't help.

Neither is completely right or wrong.

I am generally speaking a little leery of all the labels that get dished out. That is another topic though.

Coming to the examples you gave - if those are happening too often, and happen outside home too, and continue at 4 or 5 yrs of age, it could lead to socializing issues.

Usually, it is a phase. I've seen it in my house. We call it the "Just so" state. Kid wants something to be done exactly in a certain way. Like dry curry and liquid daal should not touch each other even one millimeter in plate. We handled it with a mix of patience, firmness, etc, and it was just a phase.

Aaah google.... it can bring knowledge but also unnecessary fears/worries. Not serious serious, but, worth giving some attention to.

How are you explaining the red and swollen eyes to her? : ) BTDT so many times. : ) I hope you have a friend or two whom you can call and cry to.

Definitely bring it up at the next wellness visit. Do not mention any medical terms/labels to doctor. Describe the symptoms briefly and leave it to her/him to analyze it.

At 3yrs old, child can understand the conversation. If I were you, I would talk about this with doctor without child being present. Like, after most of checkup done, send the child to waiting area, and talk with doctor. But, both you and husband need to talk to doctor, so, who is going to be with child in waiting room needs to be decided.

One last thing - don't ask doctor if you need to be worried, is it serious etc. After he/she gives her opinion, ask what you can do as a SAHM to reduce this behavior if it persists for too long.

Reading between the lines, and having seen many many toddlers, I think it is only a case of a bright, independent child, maybe slightly more used to getting her way than ideal. Up to 6-8 hours a week in a playschool/nursery setting would help.

Now that the initial upset is past, be a little calm about handling it. No finger-pointing, no blaming husband, and above all don't spend all day researching it, and then drive him nuts when he comes home. It is only the first challenge in the long journey of parenting. You will get over this little road-bump, and soon she'll be in first grade, and you'll worry about handwriting, spelling... : )

4 people like this.
  5. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@Rihana thanks for the suggestions .. She is our first child ..

me or DH have no exp with children in ours or Thier family .. we are good parents and want our child healthy active ..we don't want to be labeled as neglected parents .. That's why I posted here about my concerns here so that experienced parents may direct me ..

She is not going to pre school now since no openings near my home and are in waiting list.. Some body in the forum said husband is overacting ( no personal feelings) that's not true he is concerned ..

who will be worry about kids other than parents .. Like wise we are concerned..

We have decided to discuss with ped in next visit For safety side like u said without sounding like serious .. Ur suggestion is worth for me ..

as u said once she goes to preschool tantrums may be decreased n level eating improves .

1 person likes this.
  6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Children sometimes redo things when they are not acknowledged or appreciated for their tasks. Why don't you try giving her some "adult" work to do, independently?

Like say, sort out only her clothes, fold and put it back in the shelf. Let her do it on her own, don't hover around her, and don't check the wardrobe after she is done. She will feel she has achieved something on her own. Just glance from the kitchen when she is done, and say "Good job! I'm so glad you did this for me."

And the next time, repeat it, "Would you like to put away your own clothes like last time? " This will show her your trust, and confidence in her ability.

She might be craving for appreciation for her independence. On the whole, I think her actions are too far away from being categorized as OCD.

I have a 10 yr old who will not sleep if the stripes on his blanket are horizontal and not vertical; or the pillow is upside down, liquid raita should not touch pulao; liquid sambar should not touch crispy dosa, and so on.
    I am pretty sure he is not OCD :)

7. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@dimhere oh yeah definitely we appreciate her when she is done with small jobs .. She folds her clothes , searches for remote n hands it to dad says u watch cinema if we thank she blushes n says welcome..

We we only object her when we feel she is going to fall down .. She holds handbag , a toy and gets down .. If we ask can I hold ur toy r bag untill get down she says no I will only hold and u don't hold my hand ..she runs through the parking lots there we forcefully take her ..otherwise we never stop her ..

and she has a habit like if don't give what ask like juice or candy ( too much always ) then she says dad beats me or mom beats me n complaints to others (not out siders but family members like mil ).

i really don't know how to stop n what others think .. We never beat her .. Dad even never scolds her I scold her sometimes when she is jumping from tables n bed etc ..

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

What is he reaction of these family members when she says this? Do they get alarmed or ask her or discuss with her. Sometimes children realize how to get attention of some people. Saying mommy and papa love me is normal.That does not get her he extra attention ,but saying they beat her gets that attention.

My daughter did this by complaining to in laws and other relatives. They would not tell me that she said it but would keep on advising me to be more patient.When she did this with my mom,she asked me why I was beating her. When I asked her why she said that...she just said 'aise he'meaning just like that.

In India you can get away with kids telling such lies for fun or attention...but you may like to do something about it. If she says this to her teachers or doctor,you may get in trouble.

9. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@yellowmango exactly this is what worries me .. DH told me never ever she should say this in play school for fun .. She is doing it for fun .. Mil n my parents my brother knows this and they say' no baby dad is very good he never scolds u or beats u he buys more toys for u '.. She escapes from there n then says ammamma , thatha even 8 min old baby is there in our house says baby everybody beats me ..they are laughing ..

i said so many times no papa..baby is very small how can he beat u n they r in India she says just now they beat me I don't like them u cut the call ..

She has habit of saying some sentenced in mother tongue no one else should say it .. If we use it she slaps ..and says only I should say this not anyone .. What to do ..

we delayed sending her school bcoz of this naughty things n afraid of getting any complaints from school ..but she never beats any children she plays with them nicely ..