1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you Waste Food??????????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vysan, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi

I am a forced bachelor staying with two of my collegues, as my family is back in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. We cook food ourselves. The rice, if any excess I pour water and keep it in the fridge and have it the next day. But my room partners…. I don’t understand them….. Once person will not have that food kept for the next day. For him he will have the food cooked on that day only. The other person will not keep it in the fridge and leave it outside only. He says he cant do that. But he doesn’t mind having it the next day.

All of us are from middle class family. At the end of the day the food wasted is too much. I sometimes feel very bad. During my earlier days, I still remember how much we have suffered for this food. Though I can afford to now, but I couldn’t waste. My conscious does not permit me to do so. Neither could I change my partners.

In light of this I would like to know:
    • Is it unhygenical to have todays food for the subsequent day.:confused:
    • Is it a Brahmenical tendency as both are Brahmins – Vaishnavites… Even I am one…:idontgetit:
    • Is it something wrong to keep the food in the fridge.
    Need your opinion please….:thankyou2:

Veda

2. sandhya19

sandhya19 New IL'ite

i have read in the 'Gita- As It Is' that any food item should be consumed within 3 hours of its cooking,after that germs and bacteria start forming in it.
    but it is very difficult to follow it,we pack lunch boxes in the morning and eat them in afternoon,can't help,we have to.
    as far as your problem ,most of them in middle class families do eat mornings rice and curries and whatever,i too belong to a middle class family,but a day after ,i doubt.i dont know about others but we do eat morning prepared items,but next day we dont.
    i also know Brahmins are very particular about it.
    but dont store rice in the refrigerator,you can keep in out where its not humid
    i hope my reply will be useful to you
    sandhya

3. piu

piu New IL'ite

Please dont waste food.cook less amount of food.if that not sufficient to meet up hunger store dried food (like biscuit,chips or fruits).
    Do mur breakfast with dried items(breads,cereal) if hurry .

4. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

pl dont wastefood. I dont pour water in the leftover rice but store it as such in the fridge the next day will steam it and have it for lunch. I dont know anything about what brahmins do but it is not a good thing to waste food.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I feel wasting food is a sin, than eating the left over. Try to cook in lesser quantity.
    And if have left overs, do keep it in the fridge than leaving it outside as you are in the gulf where it should be very hot.

Regarding eating leftover, it is upto each person. In the good old days, the left over rice with the water was said to be best and healthiest food for the morning.:2thumbsup:

But doctors do not advice it if you are dieting,or having health problems. so if u are healthy go ahead.