Do you know why 'no' to few things in our culture?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by JustAni, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shanti.Cutting nails and hair are also restricted for the same reason I believe.Thanks for the insight:thumbsup

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

ah shanti you are just awesom
    that really makes sense hope my mom and in laws understand this logic
    its a different home alltogether shanti everything is done except few adjustments

3. songbird3

songbird3 New IL'ite

Re: Do you know why?

when people are asked to follow certain practices without giving reason, they tend to follow the letter not spirit. Tell your child to wash his feet, he will pour water in the front only. If the idea is to clean the dust from the feet, the whole foot needs to be washed. Is it not?

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi friends,

it was very nice to read all the post of this thread. in my parents place they still follow most of the madi theetu echal restrictions.

our elders have done everything for our good. lots of rules only for our better living.

5. reddishmoon

reddishmoon Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Interesting thread and really its very insightful also, What I believe is, its not that kids ask reasons thats why we should know the reasons behind those practices but in reality it tells us a lot in terms of hygiene and many other such things which we have forgotten in the name of modernity.

When we come from outside the first thing we do is wash our feet, many say because we are exposed to lot of places and out of these many are not pure with many things become attracted and might follow us, so its good to wash your feet clean and get rid of the bad vibes from these places.

Thanks

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I went thro all the posts, my, how many people are following blindly? I used to ask questions even when I was a child and used to get lots of abuses and blows from my mother- because she did not know the answers she used to beat me for asking questions.
    Latha,
    my mother used to say this- women should not ring the bells while performing pujas normally. But now my brother's wife is performing puja daily (in small scale) and rining the bell. She will also show arathi with camphor not only to the dieties but to the safes, cupboards and the main door frame. But my mother is keeping mum, lest she angers her dil. Mr.Seshadri Swamigal has denied such a belief in the Sakthi Vikatan, in answer to a query. Women can ring a bell alright.
    I feel that this is all due to male chauvanism and women too not daring to differer. When a woman can do all the work done by a man, why could not she perform puja and be a priest?
    Actually, a man is not eligible to perform a yagam/yagnam with out his wife, nor give off his daughter or receive a daughter in law. Men also had restrictions and later they just changed everything to their liking.
    Male has a phobia of female that she will dominate if she is let to do everything, that is the reason why all restrictions are their for women only.