1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a special needs child??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey Varloo,

thanks for joining us here.
    Don't worry. I know the stigma that is attached to a special child. all the trauma, the parents, the siblings go through. that is why I repeat again and again, things become easier when the parents accept there is something different about their kids.....I have a very close friend, who is now a il member, introduced by veda..(if he reads this thread, I am sorry to have not taken your permission b4 mentioning here..) his baby is very sweet, but has a problem, and the trauma they go through i cannot express in words...

Another one is where a very known family is suffering. if only they had taken some corrective measures in the initial years...

Your son is definitely special to all of us. look at how much you worried, and how well he did the tenth. he will definitely do well..all our prayers are with him.

regarding meeting in summer, i have a plan of going to muscat, as the kids miss veda..if i don't go will definitely join you. so you people go ahead and have the meet. will meet krithi, aravind and all some other time....

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Devvrinda,

you are welcome. I hope it helps as needy parents...

I am sure srivatsa's..sil who is into this field will help us. by asking the question to her.

as for as i know, the condition you have mentioned needs treatment. Is the girl under any treatments. And regular schools may hesitate to take her, since she is not talking, and also not walking.. convulsions definitely need medical attention. ...today there are lot of treatments...
    Gently tell the parents that the child has to be analysed by paediatrician, neuro also.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

WOW!! So many replies in a day! We can surelymeet somewhere...looking forward to it too.And, thanks for readin it to kirthi. i am sure, she will become better than ani!

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi devvrinda,
    heres my 2 cents. First this baby needs to be analysed by a psychiatrist to find out its problems. Then that doctor would have to advice the course of treatment with therapy pertaining to that child. Only then you can follow that. Each child's problem will be different and they will need different kind of help. So please first ask the parents to consult a paed., get referred to a psychiatrist and then come to you with the report and advice. That will be benefiical to the child and the parents and teacher too.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    good to know that you all will be visiting Veda during summer. More than the kids and yourself, he must by missing you all terribly as he is alone there. Go and have a very nice time. Also you could have a meet there of the ILiites.
    We can still try when you will be available. Lets see.

6. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanti,

Thank you for starting this new thread. I have a son with special needs. He is a miracle kid. Now he is in Pre K.

Children with special needs, need to play with normal children. Many of these children are quite sensitive & intelligent. I requesting all parents, give such children opportunity to play with your children whenever it is possible . Please include them in your social circle.

I am listing some of the websites relating to Autism which may be useful. In Oprah show Jenny McCarthy was talking about her Autistic son. He has made remarkble progress.

1.Autism Speaks, Home Page 1 out of 166 Children Is Diagnosed with Autism
    2.Autism Speaks, Home Page
    3.Autism.com home page redirect
    4.Nutrition & Autism Suffering from GI Symptoms? Discover Neocate E028 Splash.
    5.Kyle's Treehouse
    6.Autism GFCF Diet
    TACA Talk About Curing Autism - Welcome! - Our Spokesperson is Jenny McCarthy TACA & Jenny help parents go GFCF You can do it. Even picky
    eaters!

We as parents shoud never give up. I am sure one day our children make us proud.

I am requesting all of you to pray for such children.

Veena

7. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Thank you for sharing. I am inspired by your brother's achievement & hardwork of your mother & yrself. I am going to work even more hard with my son. His fine motor skills to be improved. Do you hv any suggestions to teach him writing Letters/Numbers etc. Pl reply.

Thanks
    veena

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Veen,

Welcome to IL.

since he is only in Prekg, there is more time. some children, the motor skill is formed late.that is why, doctors specifically say only by 4 to 6 years, you can ask your child to write.

Though the question has been addressed to archana, I had tough time trying to make my son enjoy writing, but he was interested in coloring.

So, i captured that interest and used to draw big A with space to colour. and ones also in the same way along with baloons, fruits...

Slowly as he started coloring, he also learnt to write the alphabet. maybe this will help.

Just allowing him to scribble at his feel will also helps him in holding a pencil strongly.

my My 2centsMy 2cents

9. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Padma(a great mom) & Archana(who will b a great mom one day) a very big :hatsoff:clap to both of u & ladies like u.

Reason: Yesterday we(DH & I) were watching "Taare Zameen Par" it brought tears into our eyes. After that movie I was talking about u guys. Kirthi & Anirudh r very lucky to have u.

Because I know its very very difficult to compete with the commenting (unnecessarily)/criticizing(very badly) society & bring out the wonderful talents of great kids.

I don't have a word. It makes me cry even now. My hearty congrats & best wishes to Krithi & Anirudh.

Aruchana: :hatsoff:clapto your mom too, especially in those days with very little source & little support it must be have been very hard for her to be strong.

Dhivya

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  10. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear dhivya,

thanks for visiting this thread...............even to this day anyone talks about krithi, i am in tears..........i am just praying God Almighty to give me more strength to handle her as well as this society.....................because it really needs lots of patience and determination, of course my anger is reduced, but i am still struggling to cope up with the situations at home and people around us....................whenever i get a post from persons like you all, i am more confident and become more strong mentally.............thanks a lot .................

love
    padma