1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel "yeah i can relate to this"???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Shanvy, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This was an article in the businessline, to highlight kid friendly shopping and kid friendly tourism(I assume)..but wait, do you feel the article exaggerates or underplays...

We at IL are a diversified sampling with part time working moms, stay at homes moms and working moms..

Is guilt the only major player or is our parental expectations or peer pressure??

4 people like this.

2. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

The article has clearly captured the current parenting trend in the society. I feel that these have become one of the necessities or conveniences in current life. Reasons are different for everybody. Availability of money does make the choices attractive even if they are not needed. Where does one line draw the line? To each his own.

2 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Shanthi,

I read this as soon as you posted. It made an interesting read. This guilt parenting, all of us tend to do at one time or the other. As kids grow what I am learning is it has to be a conscious full time job whether we are working or staying at home. Compensating seems okay but how can we loose track of long term effects on the children who are the future? At the same we also need to have a lid on the expectations that we set for our children, not because we don'tthnk enough of them bu because we understand the innovation that is happening around us and it is as such hard for kids to cope with the peer pressure. So it would be in their best interest to allow them to feel bored. It certainly is getting harder for parents and as adults we certainly have to learn to ground ourselves better so that we can help our kids use their potential.

I know I just parrotted but to your question if i can relate to this, I do sometimes but then even though I work, I consider myself more of a stay at home mom. So I still have the flexibility of not compensating with material things!

3 people like this.
  4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy
    Yes i can relate to it.....dont know if i am one of the guilty parents.

2 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy, I must say, I can relate to it a little bit but not too much. Even though the article is true to an extent, I think its trying to capture bits and pieces of several house holds put together and not just a situation in one household.

Yes, these days kids are going to daycare much earlier than before. That's because these days most of the women choose to work since the time they graduate. If we do not have a support system where parents/inlaws are around, they have no choice but to leave them at day care. This is true to an extent but not always true. I mean, we always have choices. We make our choices. If we want, we will find a way to stay at home.
    Having said this, its OK to choose to work fulltime too. Half the time, normally, what goes in our mind is that if we both work, we can give a better future to our child. maybe true or maybe not...

Now, I am rambling am I not?

The point I am trying to make, if parents who work splurge on gadgets alone to children, then, they have no right to complain tomorrow that their kids are quite addicted to them. Balance is the key.

As for the guilty part, working and non-working mom's both feel it. Working mom's for not being able to spend enough time with them, non-working for not being able to afford everything which they would have if they were working. No mom is guilt free...sad fact.

I constantly see mom's feeling "If i had left her/him at the daycare, perhaps he would be more social"...as consonantly as I see "How I miss him/her; I wish I were home!"

Over all, I feel like this is another one such article which bashes parents for leaving kids at daycare/after school etc...carefully written with sugar coated, politically correct sentences.

To answer your question again Shanvy, yes, I can relate to it to an extent.

1 person likes this.
  6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

All the three you mentioned Mam..I suppose..
    sometimes I feel very happy that I quit job for sake of my kids...but I accept, the ambitious girl in me shows her face at some point of time and makes me feel worried..but when I compare to the former happiness, the later worry is nothing..:)...

what to do...this fast fast world, make us all running, running behind something, all the time....

2 people like this.
  7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I can relate to a small extent. I have taken a break from work in order to invest in my DD's childhood. Right now I have zero expectations from DD as she is too small to understand the competitive world. All I want her to do is eat, sleep, play and have fun.

Children are going to play school early. This is us (parents) bowing to societal pressure. We want our children to face the competitive world. Expectations have also increased because we live in a competitive world.

Parents have always looked for places to go where kids would enjoy. Earlier the focus was on domestic travel. Now it is changing to international travel. When I was a kid, even my parents used to wonder about ways to keep me busy during summer holidays. Only thing in the earlier days, the number of working moms were less when compared to now.

This article definitely reflects the current trend. But there are areas here it does exaggerate issues that existed even in the not-so-technology-oriented era.

2 people like this.