1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Believe Your Kids Can Read by Age Three?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ssnlow, Apr 21, 2013.

1. ssnlow

ssnlow Senior IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether you believe your child can read by age three (or even earlier), or are you of the opinion that they are too young to be taught reading?

2 people like this.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Yes i think it will be a little early...
    children should first learn the phonetic sounds...and slowly brought to reading 2 letter words like go,so etc and then the 3 words like cat,mat, man etc by the age of 4.

1 person likes this.
  3. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

No, kids can start reading very early if they pick phonetics and word construction concept very early. I have a living examples in my house.

But it should all be based on interest and not force - every child have their own pace of learning.

4 people like this.
  4. ssnlow

ssnlow Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, Dinny! Actually it is possible for kids to read by age three, in fact, some kids even read by age one! I have seen videos of these kids on YouTube, really amazing! But we would have to start early, and therein lies the debate of whether we should let them play or start them young:)

5. ssnlow

ssnlow Senior IL'ite

Agree with you, TimidlyConfidnt, it should be fun for the kids, and not forced, then they will really enjoy it!

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

yes,kids can learn to read simle books like the Peter -Jane series of Ladybird but i simply don't understand whats the hurry......all the rest of their life they will read read & read still more so let them start at their own pace.........

still this is Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics good site for parents who want to teach their kids to read

1 person likes this.
  7. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

Sometimes kids at very young age start "reading" by memorization - i.e they know all the words in the book because they have read it over and over.

You probably are already teaching your child ABC...if they show interest in following phonic sounds teach that along - A makes sound "Aa" as in "Aa"pple. C makes sound "ka" as in "k" "aa" t. This whole alphabets-sound can be fun playful exercise - doesn't need to be sit down with books and doesn't need to be everyday.

AGain read the signs in your child - not interested - drop it. There is always later when they will eventually learn. And yes the starfall website is awesome - simple and free.

8. ssnlow

ssnlow Senior IL'ite

Hi Mahajanpragati,

I had read from this author Glenn Doman that the earlier a child learns, they won't have to put in any effort in learning versus as they get older. In addition, young children view learning as playing and they enjoy it. Having said that, he also said to stop teaching before your child wants to stop, to retain your child's interest.

And yes, Starfall is really good for kids! My daughter loves it!

9. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

yes,Ssnlow that is why I asked what is the hurry.............let them do what they want to do instead of making them read books & showing flashcards to increase their memorization.........

10. ssnlow

ssnlow Senior IL'ite

Hi Mahajanpragati,

I think it depends from child to child. Some children naturally love to read, so why stop them? And once they can actually read, they are not memorizing. Based on the phonetics, they can even read new words which they have never come across:)

1 person likes this.