Do you believe in God and prayers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Spiderman1, May 14, 2010.

1. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

:rotfl Spidey, you certainly like to stir up the cauldron, eh?

Well you should know my answer to your question by now. I cannot recall having faith at any point in my life and having agnostic parents did not help much either. I never felt the need for an invisible support system or an imaginary friend in life so I never sought or believed in God or prayers or any religion. Pretty much everyone from my mum's side are non believers and there are people with some faith on my dad's side even though it seems to be decreasing or vanishing with each generation.

I do have an academic interest in Hinduism and other ancient religions mainly on their philosophy . And I also find the Hindu mythology very interesting and fascinating. Both me and my mum have lot of interest in the Hindu architecture as well, mainly the ancient Hindu temples in India and the architecture is really fabulous and brilliant.

The concept of God simply does not fit in my rational thought process and the knowledge I acquired over the years thru formal and informal education also affirms my intuition that there is no supreme entity. I am comfortable with the fact that my actions in life directly influence the outcome of things and praying to a supreme entity or believing in one will not influence the outcome in any way and nor does proof exist to the contrary. I depend on science and common logic for all my answers and explanations.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

LOL! - While I do like to do the occasional stirring of the pot [​IMG] that was *not* the intention of this thread.

See, this is a BELIEF system - there is no right or wrong, and no absolute truths that can be proven. So, I'm just interested in reading about what people believe in.

Thank you Gauri, Ansuya, CanWait, mstrue, Mals, Mithy et.al for your feedback. Hoping more IL-ites can add to the thread.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Mithy,
    If you are saying Shasti Kavasam then you do 'kinda sorta' believe in prayers in my book :)

BTW - Brave the heat and hop onto Madras - you can say KSK if you are scared of the heat :thumbsup

4. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

I do believe in God .I receive answers to my every, i repeat every prayer, that is the God I serve. He is a faithful God and he does evrything for my good, because He rejoices in our prosperity and well being.He takes my every bad/sad situation and turns it for my good and I have seen and experienced such things in my life and my family members lives. If it was not for Him I would not be alive this day. I know the purpose that He has for me and why He created me. It is important for everyone to now the purpose why they are in this world, it is not just by chance that we r here, every one of us has a purpose and we need to recognize it.
    I have seen many many people getting healed miraculously when medical science gave up on such people and they turn to this God and get healed, people changing lives for good, my husband is one good example here,I thank and praise my God for this.
    I talk to my God every day and He is with me every moment of my life I have a personal relationship with Him. He is a great God who can do mighty things which even medical science fail to do.
    I don't know about others, maybe they have not seen or experienced the great and mighty works of God in their lives where situations seem immpossible. But what is impossible for man is possible for God I do believe in this...
    I would rather live believeing that there is a God and die to find out that there is no God than to believe there is no God and die to find out that there is a God and there is a judgement day.

5. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Already I use KSK like an ARR song. Then Murugar will give me a big slap. tsk

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

True that.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As I wrote in my post on the other thread, which I assume precipitated the creation of this one, I do not believe in any kind of supreme being.

I am an atheist Hindu and by that I mean that even though I reject the existence of God, I accept other tenets of Hindu philosophy such as Dharma and Karma. I believe that every human being has some essential duties and responsibilities which they must fulfil and must endeavor to live their lives righteously according to the universal Hindu codes of conduct: nonviolence, compassion towards all living creatures, responsibility towards the environment, forgiveness, patience and control of the senses.

I also believe in the Karmic law, the law of cause and effect. Though my belief is not fatalistic, i.e., I don't believe in the predetermination of karma. We are responsible for our own thoughts and deeds and so our karma is our own doing.

I believe that leading a life by these ideals is necessary for the attainment of happiness and success (whatever your measure of it may be) here on Earth and not eternal bliss in some mythical heaven.

8. butterbaby

butterbaby Senior IL'ite

Hii,

I do personally believe in God & his unique power. There is nothing more powerful than HIM on this entire earth.I personally have witnessed numerous miraculous encounters & can strongly say He is present in my life. I too have not had an easy life & also feel that life years ahead from now will not be as easy as I have predicted- but do u know what keeps me going- Its not the people on this earth but God from above- I truly believe he will guide & guard me.
    True, sometimes we feel He is asleep, but thats not what it is- maybe he is just testing u. Spiderman, u said that at times u are confused, well, the confusion sets in when u lose faith & hope in God. Maybe u are expecting more than what U are receiving- maybe ur prayers are not answered- but u never know- its because God does not wish it for u- maybe he has his own plans of which u are unaware-
    Just remember "When God pushes U to the edge of the cliff- dont panic, either He will teach U to fly or He will carry U"
    Regards,
    Miss BB

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  9. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Right, BB.
    When in tough times this is what I was hanging onto for my life:
    Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
    Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
    In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
    Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
    other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed that
    during the low periods of my life,
    when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
    I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
    "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you,
    you would walk with me always.
    But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
    there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
    Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
    "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you."

Well that and Kanthar Sashti Kavasam - day and night.. sometimes all through the day..

Yet I question.. because as I said I am confused.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I belive in God. I have always, and will always, believe in God.

With that being said, I don't believe in chating mantras that come from a book without even thinking what I'm saying. When I pray, I do it with words from my heart and put a lot of thought into it. I don't believe in wasting food in offerings to 'God' (read: little statues of what we think God looks like), and I don't believe offering up cash is going to get our prayers answered any faster.

I don't believe that God pre-determines our fate, I believe we make our own path in life and that God has made us free individuals to do good or bad on earth. Hence, when somebody wrongs me, I blame THEM, not God. I believe in taking responsibility for how our life turns out, and that includes not attributing our failures or successes to God.

As for organized religion, I don't know, I'm not really a fan (although I do follow one major religion in particular, which shall remain a mystery on Indusladies :)). But I do know I have felt the strength that can come when I put my trust in God, and when my prayers have been answered, and all that other touchy feely God stuff. I know that sounds silly and irrational to people who don't believe, but to me it makes so much sense. Guess it's just 'faith'. :thumbsup