1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do children of today Play??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Mar 7, 2008.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I really feel very bad for my kids that they don't get the oppurtunity to play outside.
    As 8 months is very cold and we get only 4 months of summer. On top of it, few days will be raining or too hot (which goes above 100 F).
    Still I make sure my kids play outside during those good days itself. Even in their school they are allowed to play outside.
    During spring time and summer time, myself and kids take our bikes and will go for a long ride. All neighbours will be making fun at us that whole family is on bike.. But still I want my kids to enjoy in those days atleast.
    In winter time, I allow them to play in snow and take them for indoor game places.

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Aqua,

The sad truth is they don't...They know an easy way of plunging into watching their favourite characters....

I make sure every day that there should be a continuous activity of at least 45 minutes...We come across too much of obesity in kids these days...They were easily burning thousands of calories in olden days; any food was burnt in no time....And the joy of playing together was priceless....Vanishing or vanished?

Love,
    Oviya.

3. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

i guess the children are not to blame for this, i don't know abt what others feel, but i personally feel that the schools (india) today are to be blamed mostly. do u think that the schools encouraging sports nowadays, even the parents are like that, nobody is questioning anything, so whichever school gives more homework they are the best, nowadays children's have more homework to do then how will they find time playing, on the weekends they get to go classes, which we like. are we really letting our childern's to be creative . NO we should truly accept onething how many of us will encourage our children to play sports(in school or private) rather doing home work?

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear priya

i feel this is the v v v v important topic to be discussed...........and which makes me to get tensed and loose my temper.........

Jus bcos my son and all my neoghbourly kids............never play..............they jus watch tv.go to their UCMAS, VOCAL, KEYBOARD...CLASSES.........and will watch tv, homwwork, play in computer all games which include as u say, playing cards, chess, crikcet or some games............not even go out.........

If i compell them and force them to play on weekends( only on weekends.thatoo for very short time..they will get chance to meet each other.....even the kids in smae flat) do u know.....what they will play......they play something seeing JETX.they will imitate as if one is white ranger and another one is blue rnger.something..........will shout from the stomach, scream like anything like some animal.........and we all will rush out that something has happend to kids.........

or they will play with clay..........make the home dirty and stain the
    floor with colours and make me more tensed...

or they will disucss something about the cartoon charcters and they too will have severe argument that.........all wants to e HERO of the game........nobody wants to p;lay side role.........so they will get fight very imm'ly...and sometimes , in flats, it may turnb to elders fight.........

i will beg them to play hide and seek............run and catch.........or do cycling......ETC....THEY WILL NEVER LISTEN...............

Endresult all looking plumpy in this age iself.........wihtout physical activity and junk food culture.........

In my sons' sschool, they dont give homeworks, very rarely they will give, no exams also.....so this guy dont have study pressure......... n i also pesonally requsted to his PT teacher to include him in all sports activities....

Is there is really any solution for this...?.........GOD only can help us........my My 2centsMy 2cents...

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

dear Priya,

I agree with u, well said.Children dont play these days.Its all the computers and TV.Like we boys used to play football, cricket, marbles, tops, and so many games.We used to climb trees to break mangoes, and it used to be fun, all outdoors.

Sadly today all that has changed, we pay more imoportance to books and tutions, than to physical games.

Good blog Priya, i am nominating it.Regards.kamal

6. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

We live in a small compound and i hv two daughters, my elder daughter does not hv any friend of her age so whole day she is watching TV or listening to music because exams are also over.bonk

Younger one is having a big friend circle of around 12 kids whole day they are out of house playing, running, cycling etc. we parents also do not stop them because once the schools are open they will get hardly any time to play.

7. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear Aqua,

A growing concern voiced out by you. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I have a daughter for 2 yrs old but i have often had this discussion with my friends, colleagues and family - that we dont see children playing outside like we used to in our times.

We used to impatiently wait for our summer holidays when we would be joined by our cousins and play all day long - morning couldnt arrive early those days!!!!

Whole day we would find some game or the other to keep playing out - lagori, chain cut, loose and catch, hide and seek, aeroplane (7 squares and hop), climb trees, steal fruits and berries....sigh! those were the days!!!

Moms would yell lunch was ready, grannies would crib that their seista was getting distrubed by the noise we were making playing....

Even on normal school going days, we couldnt wait to reach home and play for good 3 hours before hitting the books. And surprisingly, i was a topper in school despite playing so much.....i wonder why...

I find children of this day and age, are too focussed on playing grown ups. I find it increasingly in girls who are barely 8 - 10 years. They are more aware of boys than we were in our age. They can differentiate between a leer and admiration looks from boys....i didnt even know abt such differentiations when i was at that age....

I am going to ensure i throw my children out of the house every day for atleast 2-3 hours to soak up the sun, indulge themeselves in some games and come home tired, complaining for bruises. I will have cold drinks ready to refresh them and later point them towards their books.

Thanks Aqua for voicing out this concern.

JJ

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

aqua,
    Children only play, the computer and the video games, in their free time.
    I used to remember how we as a children used to play outside our house with friends, which developed our social skills, physically and mentally, indirectly.
    In my opinion, children don't play today, which aids in their development overall.

sriniketan

9. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

hi,

Yes, I agee with the fact we are out to make our child super beings. We do get carried away because we too are expected to become super humans.We tend to carry our pressures to our children.

When I look at my daughter's tv and computer culture lifestyle, I feel guilty.
    I thank my parents for giving me a carefree and happy childhood.
    But then due to nuclear families and our lifestyles,thanks to modern pressures, it makes it difficult to tell our children go and play ...........where can they play?

Also, In many schools especially in India as many of others have mentioned playgrounds are only for show since the poor children will not be even inclined to play after going thru so much pressure of studyies.

My daughter goes to swimming,tennis etc. but in the end these activities too end up putting pressure on children to be more competitive.

There is nothing compared to play, just simple and carefree play!

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

I have already put my comments before.

But have to come back again. Agreed the school puts pressure, then the parents have to relent.. why do parents equally put pressure on the kids. Most parents think, I did not get this facility, why not I give it to my kid, since I can afford. I would say forget whether you are able to afford, find out what your child wants. (Again there could be a counter argument, my child is too small, he is not going to understand what is good for him...just make him understand what is what, tell him the positives and negatives, he will tell his decision...and you will be surprised )

I play bowling inside my small flat with my son. And also foot ball on the corridors, and roof top. thank god my neighbours small daughter enjoys it..or i will be in soup.

My daughter does not have people of her age to play with and there is a problem with her she is too choosy. she plays with a 2 year old neighbor's daughter.

Even indoors, scrabble, pallanguzhi, chess games can be played. We as parents are also at fault. we tend to relax in front of the TV and PC...and set the same example....

Even watching news can be changed to a play. when you listen about a prime minister, you could start to think together about the particular country, all details, if you don't know, getting the atlas, encyclopaedia and finding out. When the parent says she does not know, the children are driven to tell her the correct answer...in turn, you are diverting the kid from jetix, cartoons and into thinking. In the course of time, this ensures that the whole family is having quality time, the children get to know more general knowledge and also the memory power increases.

For us the chess game is a game. it is not about winning.It is about learning to react and understand the opposite person better. It teaches you to anticipate what will be the other person's move. this helps a lot when it comes to strategical thinking.

The game of pallanguzhi helps in mental maths.

Playing with words, is a game that we enjoy, it also increases the vocabulary.

It is just a little patience and a innovation to suit your child.

This fb is not to hurt anyone's sentiment. It is just looking at the problem again.My 2centsMy 2cents.

(Now people who know me don't ask how come you are able to play all this with your kids or did not roof not buckle down.Big Laugh:crazy..come on yaar, we need to set examples to our kids..otherwise they are not going to learn...)